Do Not Sell My Personal Information

mk7 Fog Lights...

Hook

Here's a silly question...

Noticed tonight that there is only one fog lamp illuminated on the rear of the car. Now I've checked the manual and it refers to 'fog lights', and on the back of the car it looks like there should be one on both sides, only the driver side comes on. Are there one or two rear fog lights?

:huh:

Here's a silly question...

Noticed tonight that there is only one fog lamp illuminated on the rear of the car. Now I've checked the manual and it refers to 'fog lights', and on the back of the car it looks like there should be one on both sides, only the driver side comes on. Are there one or two rear fog lights?

:huh:

Well mine has 1 only too. I did try to look one day and sure I could only see one bulb behind one reflector.

Well mine has 1 only too. I did try to look one day and sure I could only see one bulb behind one reflector.

That's OK then... as long as I don't need to try and figure out how to replace the bulb! =)

hehe

common "fault" among many cars (not just Fords) since penny-pinching became a common practice about 15 years ago. Most cars in lower segment classes will only have a rear fog light housing or bulb fitted to the offside. Where there are dual housings there may only be a bulb on the offside, so you could fit a bulb to the nearside if you wish. Some if not most cars however, won't even have a housing on the nearside.

hehe

common "fault" among many cars (not just Fords) since penny-pinching became a common practice about 15 years ago. Most cars in lower segment classes will only have a rear fog light housing or bulb fitted to the offside. Where there are dual housings there may only be a bulb on the offside, so you could fit a bulb to the nearside if you wish. Some if not most cars however, won't even have a housing on the nearside.

Do you know if the Mk7 has the housing for another bulb? I would quite like a symmetrical car!

Do you know if the Mk7 has the housing for another bulb? I would quite like a symmetrical car!

I don't and I wouldn't even be able to tell you since I've not got the Fiesta yet - but I presume it's easy to work out, just open up the lamp housing to see (easier said than done though most prob lol)

I don't and I wouldn't even be able to tell you since I've not got the Fiesta yet - but I presume it's easy to work out, just open up the lamp housing to see (easier said than done though most prob lol)

Some years ago, when I bought a new Renault 19, I was told that UK law requires you to have only one rear fog light, to avoid confusing following drivers, especially as these rear fogs switch off when you put full-beam on;-- ie, they only work if dip- beam is on. My R19 did have a bulb-holder on the opposite side of the car.

I don't think it matters too much really. THe only time you will have them on is when no-one can see anything, so its not as if anyone will be able to appreciate the effort you have gone to :P

Can you even tell which has the bulb in when it's not lit?

Just be thankful that its not like on the Focus or older Fiestas where they had 1 reversing light and 1 rear fog light - that really does look asymmetrial!

Hi

I think you should find that offside has the full mounting and bulb etc.

The nearside has just a relective plate fitted so there is no option to just fit another bulb to give "balance" to the rear fog lights.

Obviously if you plan to take your Fiesta over to Europe you cannot just swap over the bulbs or add another. Assuming that you have your GB sticker the local police will not pull you over for having a rear fog bulb on their "wrong side".

As said previously a Ford cost cutting option I feel! I can remember just fitting an extra bulb in my old Focus to give added visibility in fog.

Cheers

Kev

It makes sense the reason why they only have one light (on the offside) is if there was one on each side and the offside happen to blow then the near side could give false potencies to oncoming traffic behind you, with just the near side glowing it would look like there was a bike there and not a car as it would be inclined to the left making you think the rest of the lane was free to overtake

I guess a near side fog light is more dangerous than driving without fog lights at all

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club