Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Kangarooing

exilesouth

Hi all,

I own a 2005 focus that's started kangarooing when at low revs/pulling away (not from a standstill though). The warning light is a cog with a ! in the middle of it and it kangaroos 90% of the time when the cog with the ! in the middle of it appears but occasionally drives normally. 

When I turn the car off and re-start it, it always clears and is fine again. It's currently doing it every other day.

What could it be?

Many thanks

Alex

1 hour ago, exilesouth said:

The warning light is a cog with a ! in the middle of it and it kangaroos

That is usually the Engine Systems Warning lamp, and is often linked to communications problems between various electronic modules in the car. These comms problems can cause a huge range of symptoms. I have not heard of kangarooing before, but it is possible, as critical modules like the pcm (engine computer) ABS & IC (instrument cluster, or dashboard) talk to each other over the car's CAN buses.

The only way to track these problems down is with diagnostic equipment.

For diagnostics, you have some options:

1) Go to a garage for a diagnostic readout. Free if they know you and are generous(?), up to £100 otherwise.

2) Find a mate with a scanner: Cost you a pint or equivalent maybe!

3) Get a generic OBD2 scanner. From about £10.00. I got a U480 off eBay, worked fine. Very easy to use, self contained, but limited capabilities.

4) Get a powerful Ford specific system. Cost £15.00 for the interface. Needs a computer of some sort. (COM port, USB, bluetooth or WiFi interfaces available). Not as simple as the self contained OBD2 scanner.

You will find a lot about ELM327 & Forscan on this site, which together provide a very comprehensive diagnosis & maintenance tool. Post here if you want more info.

Note: Simply reading the codes can do no harm, and does not change anything. Just do not reset the codes (and you would have to ask the scanner to do this) if you are going to take the car to a garage.

James (jeebowhite) has done a nice guide: http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=21196

For an ELM327 adapter, see
http://www.spanglefish.com/TunnelratElectronics/index.asp?pageid=516992

you will also need a program called Forscan, its free and you can get it from

http://forscan.org/download.html

If it is an engine problem, then a basic OBD2 scanner will probably help.

But if is CAN bus related (inter module comms), then you need the Forscan system, or equivalent.

Quite a common problem on Foci of 2005/2006 was bad connections on the IC. I had this, and fixed it for nothing. I have a guide to this if needed. But you need to read the codes (DTCs) to pin it down first.

Peter.

• Like 1

Thanks for this, much appreciated!

I've been reading about the problems a faulty EGR value can cause. I'm thinking about buying a blanking plate to see if this solves it, too. Is this 1 ok? http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/EGR-valve-blanking-plate-Ford-Focus-Mondeo-Connect-1-8-TDDI-TDCi-Euro3-only-/110898426952

2 hours ago, exilesouth said:

problems a faulty EGR value can cause. I'm thinking about buying a blanking plate to see if this solves it, too. Is this 1 ok?

Is your Focus a Mk1 or Mk2? (i think 2005 could be either).

For a Mk2 with the motorised valve, you need:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EGR-valve-Blanking-plate-Ford-1-8-TDCi-Connect-Focus-Mondeo-Galaxy-cmax-Euro-4-/121106889703?hash=item1c32887be7:g:euQAAOSwnNBXWVaB

Mine is a Mk2, and a plate with no hole was ok, did not make the error light come on.

And in either case, I would advise getting the stainless steel version. There are reports (true or not I do not know!) of ali ones corroding or melting(?!) and damaging the engine.

The ones with the hole are of little use.

Compare the photos of the EGR valve on eBay with your car, Mk1 & Mk2 are very different.

For a few quid, this may be worth a try. But the Engine Systems Lamp is not usually linked to this problem, I would expect the engine management lamp (the picture of the engine) to come on.

And the symptoms sound wrong / too severe for EGR. But let us know how you get on.

Peter.

Aluminium's melting point is like 650c so it not beyond the realm of possibility that the exhaust gas could get that hot but its unlikely. those high temps are only achieved in a DPF, still, I wouldn't want to risk it, get a steal plate with NO hole, they are just stupid and you wont have to worry. 

thing with EGR valve problems, is that if its because the valve is stuck then it wont matter what you do, it will give you problems until that is fixed, if the valve is functional then blanking it is a no brainer, but blanking a faulty valve might not fix the problem if its a stuck valve and its the ECU that's throwing a wobbly about it

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club