Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Front Wiper relay and missing dash light

riber3

Hi there,

Can anyone please tell me where the relay is for the front wipers on a 2010 Focus 1.6TDCI as they are not returning to their park position.

Additionally I am missing a yellow light on the dash which came on with the headlights (not Fog or frost warning as they are fine) I presume it is for sidelights? but not sure and is it an easy fix eg a blown fuse? Sorry for asking but the handbook with this car is in German!!1 and fuse box cover in the engine bay is unreadable!!!

P1080006.JPG

There never was a yellow light to indicate headlights on this model. The green symbol you see covers both sidelights and headlights in Ford's incredible wisdom.

Also the lights on the dash are all LED.

• Like 1

I think the relay is in the passenger fuse box :smile:

I have a feeling I've read somewhere on this forum that the relays are soldered into the passenger fuse board on this model and therefore not easily replaceable.

• Like 1

Not to sure but the light may be the rear fog light warming light

The relays are indeed part of the GEM and not easily replaceable.

Not returning to park is usually a motor issue though in my experience.

You seem to be missing the front fog light light from the dash, that's a green one.  Unless your model didn't come with fronts?

• Like 1

I think some base models did come with out front fogs as their is a estate focus running around by me without front fogs

the wiper issue could be a micro switch 

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

Not returning to park is usually a motor issue though in my experience

The only time I've had this problem it was the relay. That was on our old Mk1.5, though, and the relays were plug-in types.

23 hours ago, DJ_Andy_M said:

There never was a yellow light to indicate headlights on this model. The green symbol you see covers both sidelights and headlights in Ford's incredible wisdom.

Also the lights on the dash are all LED.

That's not what I asked for I think you misread my post

8 hours ago, mjt said:

I have a feeling I've read somewhere on this forum that the relays are soldered into the passenger fuse board on this model and therefore not easily replaceable.

Thanks for the reply, If it is then that's worrying as replacing it would be a nightmare and as for the fusebox underneath the glovebpx on this car there are no relays in it!!

2 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

You seem to be missing the front fog light light from the dash, that's a green one.  Unless your model didn't come with fronts?

Thanks for the info I will check the wiper motor connections and see if anything is loose etc. Just to be clear for anyone else reading. The Green Dash Light you see in the Photo tells me that the sidelights and headlights are.ON.  I know this because I turned them on via the switch LOL!!!

Secondly the Yellow Light you see on the photo tells me the rear fog light is on I know this  because I jumped out of the car and ran to the back of it to check.

Someone mentioned on here they saw an estate without front fog lights hope it wasn't this one!!! as this is an model estate and it doesn't have front fogs lights either.

Maybe my other half is making this up or is confused as they say there was a yellow light near the green one that came on when you switched the side lights and headlights on and they say it is not the fog light symbol.

I have blown up the photo to the max and it does look like something is there but goodness knows what and I am not brave enough to tell them its just their imagination not until I have had 10 pints or a bottle of whiskey first!!!

25 minutes ago, riber3 said:

as for the fusebox underneath the glovebpx on this car there are no relays in it!!

I've not had to access the fusebox on our Mk2.5 -- yet -- but the Haynes schematic shows three relays in the passenger fusebox for controlling front and rear wipers.

• Like 1

sorry mate not stalking you honest. I just meant to say that all some models have rear fog lights only it is possible that when the side lights were turned on the switch was pulled out turning on the fog light. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mjt said:

The only time I've had this problem it was the relay. That was on our old Mk1.5, though, and the relays were plug-in types.

I've had it several times, although not on a MK2.5, usually on Peugeots and Citroens with auto wpers.  It's never been the relay so far lol, always the first thing I swap due to ease.  The small brass tabs inside the wiper mech bend away from the track or even snap off completely.  Or they fill with water and short out.

Haynes isn't always right, this is the Mk2.5 GEM -

5332904800_1341828134.jpg

• Like 1

On 13/12/2016 at 8:12 PM, TomsFocus said:

I've not had to access the fusebox on our Mk2.5 -- yet -- but the Haynes schematic shows three relays in the passenger fusebox for controlling front and rear wipers.

As MJT says above if the Haynes is correct then that would be brilliant for all of us to know is there any chance you could post an image or tell us which relay is which and there rating as it would be interesting to see if they are 40 or 70 amps?

As for Toms Focus photo I think this car has the same fusebox here is a photo to compare. I have also put up an image of the engine bay fusebox in case that helps

P1080005.JPG

P1080008.JPG

On 14/12/2016 at 10:13 AM, TomsFocus said:

I've had it several times, although not on a MK2.5, usually on Peugeots and Citroens with auto wpers.  It's never been the relay so far lol, always the first thing I swap due to ease.  The small brass tabs inside the wiper mech bend away from the track or even snap off completely.  Or they fill with water and short out.

Haynes isn't always right, this is the Mk2.5 GEM -

Can you advise further on this a quick how to guide on how to do it would be great Many thanks

• 4 years later...
On 12/13/2016 at 7:12 PM, TomsFocus said:

Hello mate I’ve got a 2008 focus facelift rear wipers working fine but my front ones won’t work atall just get a clicking noise from glovebox area. What the problem do you know. Relay looks like part of the fuse box as you said but could it be wiper motor as rear wiper works fine. 
thank you 

Hello Ellis, the fault is most probably with the GEM. The clicking will be the relay fitted to the GEM but the fault could well be water getting in to the connectors of the module.

It is not very likely that the motor will be faulty.

1 hour ago, Ellis.lee97 said:

Hello mate I’ve got a 2008 focus facelift rear wipers working fine but my front ones won’t work atall just get a clicking noise from glovebox area. What the problem do you know. Relay looks like part of the fuse box as you said but could it be wiper motor as rear wiper works fine. 
thank you 

Hi there,

It's better to start a new thread than dig up a 5 year old one on a slightly different fault...especially as there seemed to be no resolution and it's a bit late for me to reply to the original poster again now... :unsure:

As it's a Mk2 Focus it probably is a GEM fault as Unofix says.  Have you checked it for signs of water ingress at all? 

If the GEM looks ok, how often is the clicking?  Is it a slow click every few seconds (about the speed of intermittent) or is it just one click, or is it rapidly and constantly clicking?

On my brothers 2008 focus the  wipers just stopped working one day. I concluded the fault was in the gem after much checking. I rewired the wipers bypassing gem. So I used a toggle switch mounted on dash. Single speed wipers , no intermittent, no self parking, not ideal at all but at least car could be used and mot passed. Mot test is not very comprehensive on wipers, I checked the manual first. It says nothing about switch location, it doesn’t even say iirc that it should fail if the driver can not reach the switch from the drivers seat. Of course I fitted it so he could reach it. If you do this use a switch that has a good amp rating as wiper motor does use a bit of current, I think the one I used was 10 amp, it was a sturdy metal toggle switch not a lightweight flimsy plastic rocker switch. Yeah I know it’s a bit of a bodge but it needed doing quick , and cheap.  The car has since been scrapped due to many other problems.

And use wire of a suitable rating. And I soldered all connections. The last thing I wanted was an electrical fire.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club