Sign in to follow this  
jmurray01

MK1 Focus - Stiff accelerator pedal

Recommended Posts

I viewed and test drove a MK1 Focus Ghia 2.0 a few days ago, and it drove well, but the accelerator pedal was incredibly stiff.  It felt like there was a floor mat jammed under it, but there was not. 

Is this a common issue, and what exactly could the problem be?

Aside from that I saw no mechanical issues with the car and am fairly keen on buying it, but would like some clarification on this first.

Thank you...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't speak for the 2.0 but certainly 1.6 petrol models use a cable operated throttle body. Most likey an issue with the cable I'd say. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, stef123 said:

I can't speak for the 2.0 but certainly 1.6 petrol models use a cable operated throttle body. Most likey an issue with the cable I'd say. 

Really?  So they aren't drive-by-wire?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

nope. can't speak for other models as I've had no reason to check them but I'd imagine they are the same. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, stef123 said:

nope. can't speak for other models as I've had no reason to check them but I'd imagine they are the same. 

That's interesting.  Not sure why I thought they were DBW...

If it is the cable and it is the same set-up as the 1.6, is it an easy fix?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, jmurray01 said:

I viewed and test drove a MK1 Focus Ghia 2.0 a few days ago, and it drove well, but the accelerator pedal was incredibly stiff.  It felt like there was a floor mat jammed under it, but there was not. 

Is this a common issue, and what exactly could the problem be?

Aside from that I saw no mechanical issues with the car and am fairly keen on buying it, but would like some clarification on this first.

Thank you...

 

Hello

I'm glad you've come up with the funds for the car before your payday as I recall several days ago that you really wanted this car so I'm glad you have an opportunity to purchase it. 

I am sorry but I do not know why the accelerator pedal is stiff, I'm just glad you made the discovery before completing the purchase. If you really want said car then I hope it costs very little money to have the problem resolved asap. 

Good luck and keep everyone updated.

 

cheers

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, stef123 said:

The book time for the job is 0.4 hours. 

hi,. did you message me a few minutes ago ? I am certain a message popped up stating I have a message from you but I cliked the x button because I was typing on a thread, but then I checked for mail but can't see anything ? cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Fastlife91 said:

hi,. did you message me a few minutes ago ? I am certain a message popped up stating I have a message from you but I cliked the x button because I was typing on a thread, but then I checked for mail but can't see anything ? cheers

It was probably because I replied to this thread before you did so you got a notification of a new reply. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, stef123 said:

It was probably because I replied to this thread before you did so you got a notification of a new reply. 

hello

I cannot see any messages from you to me ?

 

cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, stef123 said:

That's because there isn't any lol 

 

 just re-read and realised what you meant lol thought you implied you sent me a message before I replied to you

thanks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello Jmurray01

I have tried to PM you but it won't let me, just says you are not receiving messages ??

I hope all is well, I hope you find the cause of the stiff pedal on the car you wish to purchase and that it will not be anything major to repair. I did wish you well with it on a message on said thread but got no reply and have sent you some tips and advice on other threads but no reply on them either from you so I am just wondering if there is a fault with the site at all ( it's been known lol) but I don't seem to have this with other members ?

If you see this message please reply and let me know everything is good.

 

cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this