Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2013 1.0l Ecoboost engine rust. Problem?

2013Ecoboost

It's absolutely extraordinary that parts of Ford's poster boy engine is rusting like this in such new vehicles.  The 1.0 EcoBoost really isn't going to last the test of time.

Been saying it a long time now.  The cooling system is rubbish.

• Like 1

On 11/8/2017 at 3:13 PM, GaryPL said:

It's absolutely extraordinary that parts of Ford's poster boy engine is rusting like this in such new vehicles.  The 1.0 EcoBoost really isn't going to last the test of time.

Been saying it a long time now.  The cooling system is rubbish.

I agree and i was waiting for more problems pop up but rust i did not expect to hear that,as i said every car has problems but i think i will

stick with my 1.6 as it keeps going.

There are a few things i don't like on the ecoboost and this now being another.

13 minutes ago, iantt said:

i wonder how its going to manage in a transit phev?

Hauling loads? Complicated hybrid system? Ford's legendary customer service, quality goods and world class design? What could possibly go wrong.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Ironically this thread started the day I came back from ordering a 1.0 Ecoboost* - I wonder if I'd have gone ahead if I'd seen the thread first?

The optimist in me says it's only a small sample among many thousands sold, and as iantt has often said, and most of us know from experience, other makes have problems too.

Then the pessimist kicks in - I doubt if most drivers check under the bonnet as often as members of this forum, let alone examine their turbo cooling pipes and what if this just the tip of an enormous iceberg??

(*I console myself that I have ordered an ST Line X so it will probably never come anyway!)

30 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Ironically this thread started the day I came back from ordering a 1.0 Ecoboost* - I wonder if I'd have gone ahead if I'd seen the thread first?

The optimist in me says it's only a small sample among many thousands sold, and as iantt has often said, and most of us know from experience, other makes have problems too.

Then the pessimist kicks in - I doubt if most drivers check under the bonnet as often as members of this forum, let alone examine their turbo cooling pipes and what if this just the tip of an enormous iceberg??

(*I console myself that I have ordered an ST Line X so it will probably never come anyway!)

New 1.0 engines have different material turbo coolant pipes so Ford is obviously well aware of the problem. It sounds like it's a problem of dissimilar metals reacting, so might be related to a particular bad batch.  

On 15/09/2017 at 6:04 PM, Eric Bloodaxe said:

A friend of mine has a 13 plate Focus with 125 ps and a 100ps Fiesta on a 65 plate. I mentioned this issue to him and he has just got back to me after checking both cars. The Focus was as new but the newer Fiesta was showing light corrosion on the pipes. 

Anyway, he is going to raise it with his dealer for peace of mind - many thanks to 2013Ecoboost for flagging up the issue and providing helpful pics!

Just had an update on this after my friend had the Fiesta in the dealership. When he collected it the service advisor said there was no rust and the technician had taken a photo for their records to prove it. On asking to see the photo, my mate pointed out that the rust was clearly visible with which the advisor concurred. So they asked him to keep an eye on it and bring it back if it gets any worse. Not that satisfactory but it's still got 12 months warranty so he should be covered.

Page on Facebook where various ecoboost problems are documented with Ford replacing rusty turbos and blown engines outwith the warranty period. (Mostly 12/13 plate) 

Search Facebook for ‘ford focus ecoboost 1.0l turbo zetec faulty coolant pipe engine head gasket’

20 minutes ago, Russ said:

Page on Facebook where various ecoboost problems are documented with Ford replacing rusty turbos and blown engines outwith the warranty period. (Mostly 12/13 plate) 

Search Facebook for ‘ford focus ecoboost 1.0l turbo zetec faulty coolant pipe engine head gasket’

Useful source of information but the person who operates that group is extremely precious and has a pop at people who are trying to help. So beware.

Yeah it's a shame that. I even got banned because I was being a bit too balanced about the issue. If you don't turn up with a pitchfork you soon get turned away...

at least ford have now put there hand up and are fixing the ones affected foc, even 5yr old cars. ford are aledgely producing more than a million 1.0 ecoboost engines a year. puts it into perspective a bit

That's the way I see it. I sympathise with those affected, and I'd hate to be one of the unlucky ones, but it really is important to maintain some perspective as to how big of a problem it actually is and what Ford can realistically actually do about it.

On 10/26/2017 at 9:14 PM, Doylie said:

Sorry just to clarify, Is the rust on the turbo housing normal ? or was the trust ford mechanic saying that that was a design fault and they replaced the whole turbo not just the rusty pipes ?

Replaced the whole Turbo, but only because the pipes are attached to the turbo housing - i.e you can;t just replace the pipes.

you were banned ???

was this in writing or verbally.

Jamie

We had our 63-plate Ecoboost Fiesta serviced and this week. Annual service which has been done by the same Ford main dealer since we bought it, although we did not buy it from them. This one is a family-owned  business with just two branches, so "small enough to care" and we've had no problems. 

The car has just over 22,000 miles on the clock. After coming across this thread thought I'd better check ours. The pipes themselves look clean with no signs of rust or leaks. However the housing they go into seems to be a rusty colour, but evenly spread like the one in the OP's picture, almost like it was made that way. I'll drop an email to them about it over the weekend with a link to this thread and see what they come back with. :smile:

As discussed above, rusting of the turbo housing is entirely normal and serves as a passivation layer to prevent further corrosion. It is nothing to worry about. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, MJNewton said:

As discussed above, rusting of the turbo housing is entirely normal and serves as a passivation layer to prevent further corrosion. It is nothing to worry about. 

Thank you Mathew - I'd only just found the topic so scanned through it rather (too) quickly... :oops:

I’m going to check the wife’s 65 plate ecoboost tomorrow after reading this, if I can find the right place to look! I’m not very clever when it comes to under the bonnet, I have no problem with removing trim and parts though. Do you think the Mk5 Mondeo 1.5 ecoboost could suffer a similar fate? I’m not looking forward to checking given the cold, damp and (grit) salty road conditions in the Highlands

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

my partners 16 plate ecoboost turbo pipes are shiny and rust free

my partners 16 plate ecoboost turbo pipes are shiny and rust free

Is that a Mondeo or fez?

Your 1.5 ecoboost has different pipework that isn't part of the turbo . And good luck looking for the coolant pipes on the turbo. Turbo is buried round the back of engine low down

Your 1.5 ecoboost has different pipework that isn't part of the turbo . And good luck looking for the coolant pipes on the turbo. Turbo is buried round the back of engine low down

I’ll just check the wife’s then and carry on in ignorant bliss when it comes to mine [emoji16]

• Haha 1

Just read this thread, and I've checked my 2014 Fiesta Ecoboost 100ps! PHEW!!! The pipes on my car are clean, no rust, but I will look in Halfords next time for some high temperature paint.

Many thanks for the heads-up, and good luck to those dealing with Fords customer department. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club