Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus 1.6 2009 outer crankshaft seal

monkey×wrench

Hi,

i'm renewing the timing belt and waterpump, and i noticed a small leak on the crankshaft seal. There was also some greasy grey residue under the crankshaft and the timing belt was a bit "jagged" on the inner, engine side.

I went to replace the seal today without the tool, so i gave it a go with a hammer and an 1/2" extension. I couldn't exactly work it in on all sides equally, so one side went in a BIT sooner than the other, maybe a couple of mm difference.

Now when i look at the seal (i went in a bit more than flush, like a milimeter), the gap between the inner side of the seal to  the crankshaft is a bit bigger on one side than the other (one side seems to almost touch the crankshaft). I can't seem to rectify it no matter how much i try to even it out. The difference is minuscule, but it's visible because one the side with the bigger gap, there is no oil film, but on the smaller gap side there is fresh oil in the gap.

How critical is this, is it tolerable long term, or is this seal WAY of center and will leak soon? Did i hit the inner "thing" on the left and bent the rubber?

The outer edge seems ok, more or less equally distanced from the hole.

Help please!

PB270518 (Large).JPG

PB270524 (Large).JPG

PB270527 (Large).JPG

PB270529 (Large).JPG

PB270536 (Large).JPG

An oil seal needs to be installed 100% straight otherwise there is a huge chance that the seal will leak sooner or later. The best way to install an oil seal is by using the original installation tool or a suitible universal bearing/oil seal installation tool.

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor bearing installation tool

I always use a similar kit than the one on the picture. When installing an oil seal it is important that the tool contacts the full face of the oil seal. Next to this the oil seal must be pushed in straight. This way there is no risk to bend or damage the oil seal during installation. 

Based on the picture the oil seal seems to be bend. 

Personally I would take the oil seal out and replace it. Leaving it this way will most likely result in an oil leak (probably a bigger leak than before). Oil contamination of the timing belt can seriously affect the life of a timing belt. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club