Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How low do you go before refuelling?

Dan_C

The diesel filter is also there to remove water, don't get water in petrol.

5 microns is ridiculously small...  They'll need a weekly change interval! :laugh:  

As mentioned before I often run it down to (or near) 0 mi to empty.

My last pitstop I drove around 10-12 miles past this point and I hadn't noticed any coughs or splutters - not too sure if modern engines do this any more before conking out.

As others have said, I always brim it in order to get a better indication of long range MPG, plus a full tank only lasts me 7 working days. My last fill up was 43L (which is odd because I thought the Fiesta Mk7.5 had a fuel tank capacity of 42L). It cost me £52!!

The official capacity IS 42 litres.   You must have been running on fumes.:unsure:

Some cars may say 0 miles to empty however realistically it may be about 15 to 50 miles before it dies. I think manufacturers do this so incase someone may see the computer get close to zero at least there is spare fuel for to get to the closest petrol station. 

With me I refuel when the computer shows around 30 miles to empty then top up with £20 worth of diesel. 

On 13/02/2018 at 11:57 AM, Bobr said:

I always brim the tank as it gives me a good indication of MPG.

Exactly my thought process. I have an app to record my fuel and it is only accurate if you fill the tank. I run the car til the fuel light comes on then depending on where I’m going I might still run the car for  another couple of days. 

By keeping a track of consumption you may just spot something not right. 

I put 10 to 15 quid in around quarter of a tank left.

Don't see the point in filling to the brim, carrying the extra say 25ish kg in fuel everywhere I go, Surely this lowers the fuel economy?:laugh:

This is like carrying a bag of sand in the boot every where you go.

Unless going on a long journey of course.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Mavroz said:

I put 10 to 15 quid in around quarter of a tank left.

Don't see the point in filling to the brim, carrying the extra say 25ish kg in fuel everywhere I go, Surely this lowers the fuel economy?:laugh:

This is like carrying a bag of sand in the boot every where you go.

Unless going on a long journey of course.

I doubt it makes much difference compared to the extra visits and release of vapours 

• Like 1

Yeah maybe, for the distance I do mpg doesn't really matter to me as i only average approx 5k a year and suffer with a heavy right foot.:laugh:

I have fuelled up this way for years to keep weight down.

8 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

I doubt it makes much difference compared to the extra visits and release of vapours 

It probably depends on the sort of driving you do.  If it's all round town a few miles at a time, passing petrol stations constantly, it might work out cheaper and take no more time.  

If you do more miles and/or live in a rural area 10 miles from a reasonably priced filling station it's probably better to brim it.

I've already used over a fiver this morning and barely left Ipswich, done about £8 yesterday, and a fiver the day before...filling a tenner at a time wouldn't be worth it for me and I wouldn't say I do that many miles tbh.

I usually refill when the tank is between 1/4 and empty, usually fill up around 30 litres in my mk6 1.4 TDCi - don't want to run it too low so it doesn't pull in muck from the bottom of the tank etc.

On 2/13/2018 at 2:41 PM, Crafty14 said:

I was told it puts more strain on the fuel pump the lower the fuel amount - so always being in the red was bad for the pump. Not sure how much truth is in that - 

none whatsoever lol.

• Like 1

It could be the case with a blocked breather pipe/valve. Obviously the proper remedy is to fix that though. 

Fuel light came on on the mk3 with 75 miles on the range today... :ohmy:  Does it always come on that early on the mk3s or is it variable?  

Just now, TomsFocus said:

Fuel light came on on the mk3 with 75 miles on the range today... :ohmy:  Does it always come on that early on the mk3s or is it variable?  

I'm not entirely sure how it decides. Perhaps it is either a certain level or miles, whichever comes first (depending on your average MPG).

Mine comes on around 50, my Mum's Kuga (which is the same platform), comes on around 30 miles. (which is really low given the MPG it does).

5 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

I'm not entirely sure how it decides. Perhaps it is either a certain level or miles, whichever comes first (depending on your average MPG).

Mine comes on around 50, my Mum's Kuga (which is the same platform), comes on around 30 miles. (which is really low given the MPG it does).

On the mk2.5 it was constant, 50 miles on the range every time, then another warning at 25 miles.  Maybe it is variable on the later ones though.  Still, 75 miles seems a bit early, averaging 54.7mpg currently (hoping to push it over 55mpg by the end of the tank lol), done nearly 500 miles on this tank so far.  

On 14/02/2018 at 9:14 AM, Phil21185 said:

So is it possible to drag rubbish through from running too low in a diesel?

No.  Manufacturers anticipate this, and the fuel pick up is never able to suck the last dregs out of the tank.

I refill when I'm down to half a tank.  Just a habit from driving police vehicles for 30 years.

• Like 1

I'm with Gerald.   I drove police vehicles too and were never allowed to get low on fuel.   

• Like 2

So again, why does a fuel filter need changing then, if there is no possibility of sediment etc getting into the fuel system?

In the case of the diesel, the fuel filters primary function is that of a water separator.  Fuel filters in petrol cars are much less elaborate, and need changing much less frequently.

As for sediment, the fuel pick up leaves the last inch or two undrained so running low of fuel won't suck in any crud.  Therefore, running low will not imperil your car.  Nevertheless, there is still a small amount of foreign material in even the best fuel, hence the fuel filter.

3 hours ago, Bobr said:

I'm with Gerald.   I drove police vehicles too and were never allowed to get low on fuel.   

Must be a lot of ex coppers on here. Me too. Our traffic cars were refuelled at the end of each shift irrespective of how many miles you did. Life these days is much easier and the likelihood of me having to carry out a high mileage trip unexpectedly is nil, so filling when the bing bong comes on is plenty soon enough. 😁

• Like 2

Do you always reverse into parking spaces as well?

Agree with that.
All our vehicles must be filled after any duty just in case.
Mine also gets a scrub down outside and a good clean in the back to remove any risk of cross contamination of the dogs.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jethro_Tull said:

It may be a bit Anal I know but yes I always reverse in parking bays and up the drive. I find it easier it is that engrained in think. Don't know why I started it is that long ago. 

The only place I can't do it is at Asda, obviously not being able to get to the boot.

On a side note I reverse parallel park also as can I hell do it frontwards even in the biggest gap possible...

1 hour ago, Jethro_Tull said:

Is there any other way?

• Like 4

It's illegal to reverse out onto a public road anyway.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club