Do Not Sell My Personal Information

St Strange Noise (Video Included)

Phil 87

I've not had the ST for 3 weeks yet and it's making a funny noise which seems to be getting gradually worse. Taking it to Ford on Tuesday but in the meantime I thought I'd see what you guys make of it. Here's a vid I recorded today:

That's from a cold start (or as cold a start as you can get in 24C weather lol). The "strange noise" can be heard when the car starts moving, mainly from 12-17 seconds. What could this be? This noise can also be heard while driving, depending on the revs, especially around 2,000 to 2,500 revs (e.g. 30mph in 3rd gear). The car seems to be driving just fine by the way.

Could it be the brake disk shield? have you jet washed a little to hard at the wheel and slightly bent it?

Warped discs, I say this because yet again my discs are warped and sound like this. Off to G172 for brembos !Removed! to Ford crap, my 1.0 discs warped with a few k too.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Ford OC mobile app

That makes sense, and does sound like it could be the brakes. And no I haven't jet washed it at all. I first noticed this about 3 days after picking the car up.

Does this mean the discs will need replacing?

Yes dude. I'm finding out how much Brembo discs are tomorrow. Not buying fords going by how long they last.

I take it this is covered by the warranty, so I'm not buying anything :). What could have caused this, a defect from the factory?

If my St was making that noise in under 3 weeks of ownership it would be at the dealer first thing tomorrow and I would not pay a single pence to have it rectified. In fact mine is going back tomorrow for illuminated door sill failure. Anyway good luck!

No chance in getting new discs from them. You could kick and scream until red in the face and crying. Too many variables as to why they can go.

Just to check whether it is the brakes, am I right in thinking that the noise shouldn't happen when applying the brakes? I haven't tried this yet but will try it tomorrow. I saw another vid on Youtube with a warped disc, sounds very different (skip to 50s):

Jack it up and spin the wheel. It will sound different with the engine running and other components absorbing the sound.

It's not the brakes, I checked this morning by finding the bite and holding it there (with the handbrake), same noise when stationary. What else could it be?

it could be something worse, such as a bearing / tensioner related to the alternator or a pulley or even the waterpump, not trying to scare but it's under warranty so major deal other than the fact you'll be without the car for a few days, could well be the case if it's happening under load causing more stress on these parts compared to when Idling.

Had another issue myself this morning, Turbo screeching under boost and recirc valve going off on boost as well, probably full of soot already.

At least we both have the warranty, and I'm sure I'll get a courtesy car if it's not a quick fix. It sometimes happens when just cruising along, I'm not sure it it's only when under load, will have to see if taking my foot off stops the noise.

I just got back from Ford, the guy said it's a belt making the noise, and it should go away by itself within about 3,000 miles. So if he's right, it's nothing to worry about so I'll wait and see.

Does that sound right? If it gets worse / louder I'll be going back, but maybe I should leave it at least a couple weeks and see what happens.

Ummmm sounds like a right fob off. I'd get that to another dealer for a second opinion asap seeing as it's still brand new.

Yeah I wasn't too sure, although he seemed genuine and I've been to that dealer a lot over the last year and always been happy with them. He said they had another ST with a similar problem which disappeared by itself, so that was his justification.

Wouldn't ignore any noise caused by a belt, Belts don't make noises either, the Tensioner does, which is critical.

This makes me really angry that they do this, you have a brand new ST3 which is your pride and joy and its obviously got something wrong as it shouldn't make that sound. If I was you I would go back and ask for the manager. I've just been fobbed of by my local 'trusted' dealer, between my family we have bought 4 cars from them and good service up till now. Annoys me when this happens.

Yeah I'm starting to agree with you guys. I've just been in touch with the dealer I bought the car from, I've sent them a link to the video so will see what they think. I'll definitely get a 2nd opinion either from them or another dealer.

Nice one, lets us know how you get on with it. How may miles are you on now btw?

Just under 900 miles. It's annoying cos I was going to start really opening it up after I hit 1000 miles, but with this noise it's making me less confident in the car...

Could be a drive shaft. Does it make the noise regardless of steering angle?

Wasn't there a guy on here a few months back with a st with a misaligned driveshaft aswell , you heard anything back yet from the dealer Phil?

Could be a drive shaft. Does it make the noise regardless of steering angle?

Yes steering angle doesn't seem to affect it. If you can see in the video, I set off and start turning right, the noise stays pretty constant for several seconds. It seems to depend on the load on the engine and what revs it's at, and is a lot more noticeable from a cold start.

Wasn't there a guy on here a few months back with a st with a misaligned driveshaft aswell , you heard anything back yet from the dealer Phil?

I've got it booked in again so they can keep it overnight and check it from a cold start, have to wait til Wednesday next week though cos I need a courtesy car. Also sent the vid to the dealer I bought the car from, they'll be getting their "top technician" to look at it, so will see what they have to say.

Typical bullsh*t dealer "yeah they all do that" and "it'll go away after a few thousand miles".

I'd go back and speak to them in person mate and express my utter disgust. As above, it just shouldn't make that noise at all.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club