Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.6 Diesel oil changes

MaxDee

Hi, I have bought a 2013 MK3 Focus 1.6 tdci with 30K on the clock. I have been advised that the MK3 should not get the oil starvation to turbo problem as this problem was on earlier models but I have come across on some internet forums that people are still changing the oil and filter every 6K miles.
Is this really necessary? Will using engine flush help and which to use?
I have also noticed that the sump plug sits higher than the bottom of the sump; doesn’t this mean that you still have some old oil left in the sump?

Thanks

hi max I change my oil and filter every 6 months, it won`t do it any harm and it only costs around £30 to do it yourself. I do use engine flush in mine once a year STP ENGINE FLUSH around £2.50 a bottle.

Thanks Andy, I suppose it's true! there is no harm in doing so and it's cheap too because I'll do it myself! Do you manage to get all the oil out due to the position of the plug? Which oil and filter do you use?

hi max yes all oil will drain out, I use Castrol 5-30w A5 it`s on offer at the mo in asda around £21, oil filter I get from eBay it`s what ford use around £6. eBay item number is 120497178028.

I also do my air filter (eBay number  161471824665) and pollen filter (ebay number 331517985489)  once a year, they can be found on ebay around £10 each ;-)

5 minutes ago, andypsp said:

hi max yes all oil will drain out, I use Castrol 5-30w A5 it`s on offer at the mo in asda around £21, oil filter I get from ebay it`s what ford use around £6. ebay item number is 120497178028.

I also do my air filter (ebay number  161471824665) and pollen filter (ebay number 331517985489)  once a year, they can be found on ebay around £10 each ;-)

Thanks for your reply. Do you replace the fuel filter yearly too? The oil filter looks a pain to replace. It's not in the best location!!

I got the local garage to change my fuel filter when I 1st had my car 2yrs ago only £20 to change it for me I supplied the filter around £18, will get it changed every 2yrs. oil filter easy to get to, just have to remove the air pipe that goes to air-filter box 15 min job ;-)

1.6 TDCi fuel filter for £18??  Where was that?

8 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

1.6 TDCi fuel filter for £18??  Where was that?

eBay item 321235344617 or go onto euro-carparts item number 503590488 £16.57 with discount code ;-)

I've never seen one like that, got a bit excited there lol, the Mk2/2.5 Focus ones are different and more like £45!  No-one seems to know why they're so expensive either.

5 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

I've never seen one like that, got a bit excited there lol, the Mk2/2.5 Focus ones are different and more like £45!  No-one seems to know why they're so expensive either.

lol have a look on eurocar parts site and they got a 15% discount code at the mo see how much it costs you then ?

eBay item 331655065316 £25 that may be what yours looks like for 2008 focus

I get trade price at Ford tbf. :wink:

Even on ECP, the cheap Crossland filter (that I wouldn't trust on one of these anyway) costs £38.99 before discount!  The Bosch one is £55.99!!  For some origami in a metal can, unbelievable really. :mellow:

1 minute ago, TomsFocus said:

I get trade price at Ford tbf. :wink:

Even on ECP, the cheap Crossland filter (that I wouldn't trust on one of these anyway) costs £38.99 before discount!  The Bosch one is £55.99!!  For some origami in a metal can, unbelievable really. :mellow:

you should get it at a good price at ford then if you get it trade. the staff only get 10% discount lol

Thanks Andy for all that info. Looks easy to do! I do an avarage of 11/12K miles a year.
My plan is to change oil/filter every 6 months. Pollen & Cabin every year and Fuel filter every 2 years. The Fuel filter is cheaper for MK3's!

I think that the sump plug is 21mm, do you remember the socket size for the oil filter?

54 minutes ago, MaxDee said:

Thanks Andy for all that info. Looks easy to do! I do an avarage of 11/12K miles a year.
My plan is to change oil/filter every 6 months. Pollen & Cabin every year and Fuel filter every 2 years. The Fuel filter is cheaper for MK3's!

I think that the sump plug is 21mm, do you remember the socket size for the oil filter?

think it`s 19mm for sump plug, and it 27mm for the oil filter, got mine off eBay around £6 item number 361469161918, it` also worth changing the washer on the sump nut once a year to as they wear thin over the years.

sump nut washer twin pack on eBay item  number 330841450610

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, iantt said:

21mm sump plug.27mm oil filter

oops must have been getting mixed up with my mates fiesta when I did the oil change on that 19mm lol

13mm on the Mk2s...  I always take the 21mm socket down there out of habit from the Peugeots! :laugh: 

21mm is an odd one as i have 3 sets of sockets and none have a 21mm!!! But do have a 27mm, so i'll have to buy a 21mm socket. Had a quick look under the bonnet today and looks easy to do but seems that I will make an oil mess at the front of engine due to filter being so high up!

When you remove filter just flip it upside down as you remove it and you wont spill much,, just wedge I rag directly beneath filter housing to catch any drips.

My mate as an old Peugeot,lift the bonnet and the oil filter is winking at you,shame my MK1 isn't the same.

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

Need to move the metal pipe out the way going down to the IC, that's the only pain in the backside Ive had with the 1.6 oil filter.  id rather that though then the metal can on the 1.8

Mk3 doesnt have that pipe in the way , so makes filter removal slightly easier.

• Like 1

Hi, I was just looking to see how to replace the oil filter and removed the air pipe from the air box to turbo. I have noticed some oil in this pipe(turbo side), is this normal to have oil in there? wiped all up and put it back together again.
 turbo.jpg

normal.2 different hoses shown.

some on hear say i got a photo for every occasion. lol

2015-04-17 14.01.06.jpg

2015-04-21 09.00.51.jpg

• Like 1

Wow! you are so helpful Ian!! Thanks so much as I was worried. So looks normal then. Thanks for pictures :)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club