Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bracket above Oil filter loose.

Albert27

Hi guys.

Went out to the car today to eye up getting at the oil filter as i plan to change the oil on Monday. Anyway, while looking round i noticed the bracket right above the oil filter is completely loose at that point.  The other end of the bracket holsd a black downward pipe (intercooler pipe?) , but that's wobbling too as a result.

Can it be left like this for a while?

And what size fittings/bolts do i need to secure it back in?

Cheers!

I think its an M6 x 12mm, not having it connected may put some pressure on the hoses but shouldnt be a major issue, there are two bolts on that intercooler down pipe if you don't have either of them then its probably worth getting at least one of them inserted.  

If that metal pipe is just being held up by the two hoses at either end then it might make them split or come loose, it might rattle about a bit as well. unfortunately, due to some plonker at PSA (or was that a ford addition?), they designed that pipe and its mounts in such a way that prevents the oil filter being removed unless you loosen the bolts,  fairly stupid really, its literally about half a CM out of position.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dee_82 said:

I think its an M6 x 12mm, not having it connected may put some pressure on the hoses but shouldnt be a major issue, there are two bolts on that intercooler down pipe if you don't have either of them then its probably worth getting at least one of them inserted.  

If that metal pipe is just being held up by the two hoses at either end then it might make them split or come loose, it might rattle about a bit as well. unfortunately, due to some plonker at PSA (or was that a ford addition?), they designed that pipe and its mounts in such a way that prevents the oil filter being removed unless you loosen the bolts,  fairly stupid really, its literally about half a CM out of position.

Thanks for the info Darren.  I'm wondering whether i could temporarily secure it with a clip tie or something until i can get the fittings.  Yeah , i was reading a thread on that stupid filter/bracket combo.  Yes, you're right, i can see two fixing points for bolts.  I guess the upside is i won't have to unscrew it for the oil filter :biggrin:  

Something like this be ok? http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Screws+%26+Fixings/d90/Stainless+Steel+Screws/sd810/Stainless+Steel+Socket+Cap+Screw/p19231

• Like 1

yeah, that should do it, personally id try find a wee 10mm hex bolt though,  save having to use another tool just for the sake of it.

etis isn't much help on this as it doesn't list the top one as a bolt, which it is, it has a nut listed instead which is a little strange, but the bottom one is listed as that bolt, I'm pretty sure they are different lengths though so be careful not to over tighten it. 

There isn't a whole lot to secure it on to from memory but yeah, a wee cable tie will do it no harm in the short term. 

All I would add to this is be careful when doing future oil changes, the reason those bolts are probably missing is because someone couldn't be arsed undoing it every time, if you leave one bolt tight and try and man handle it out the way, there is a danger you can damage the metal pipe, it has notoriously weak welded brackets so don't cut corners, once you got it on with bolts, loosen them off each oil change :) 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Dee_82 said:

yeah, that should do it, personally id try find a wee 10mm hex bolt though,  save having to use another tool just for the sake of it.

etis isn't much help on this as it doesn't list the top one as a bolt, which it is, it has a nut listed instead which is a little strange, but the bottom one is listed as that bolt, I'm pretty sure they are different lengths though so be careful not to over tighten it. 

There isn't a whole lot to secure it on to from memory but yeah, a wee cable tie will do it no harm in the short term. 

All I would add to this is be careful when doing future oil changes, the reason those bolts are probably missing is because someone couldn't be arsed undoing it every time, if you leave one bolt tight and try and man handle it out the way, there is a danger you can damage the metal pipe, it has notoriously weak welded brackets so don't cut corners, once you got it on with bolts, loosen them off each oil change :) 

Wise words mate, i will be careful.  I think you're spot on as my oil filter has a piece cut out from it's cap as if someone has been trying to get it on with bracket in place.  Anyway that's all noted.

I'm still learning with bolts and stuff so not entirely sure....I've dug out from my toolbox some m6 x 40mm bolt, is the 40 mm the length?  Would they be too long?  

• Like 1

Aye that's the length, the M6 part is the diameter, meaning 6mm, M10 is 10mm and so on. I honestly cant remember the length off the top of my head, but 4CM (40MM) sounds quite long,  I don't think the long one was any more than 30mm, pretty sure the bottom one was the short one but I honestly cant remember, I'm going to 'Mess' ( sorry admin, didn't think passing wind with an F was a bad word but lesson learned) about with retro fitting some headlight washers tonight so ill pop the top one out and take a look, unless some one else here knows the lengths?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Dee_82 said:

Aye that's the length, the M6 part is the diameter, meaning 6mm, M10 is 10mm and so on. I honestly cant remember the length off the top of my head, but 4CM (40MM) sounds quite long,  I don't think the long one was any more than 30mm, pretty sure the bottom one was the short one but I honestly cant remember, I'm going to 'Mess' ( sorry admin, didn't think passing wind with an F was a bad word but lesson learned) about with retro fitting some headlight washers tonight so ill pop the top one out and take a look, unless some one else here knows the lengths?

That would be absolutely brilliant mate, thank you!  If it is too long, could i cut it and make it shorter with a hacksaw or something or would that ruin the thread?  Anyway I'll wait to hear from you on the length. :thumbup1:

• Like 1

pished down with rain I'm afraid :( Scotland isn't the best place for tinkering with cars, ill see if tomorrow is better, failing that, I can do it at work Saturday.

as for using other bolts, try it and see, just not tighten too hard, it shouldn't be that hard to screw in although if its not had a bolt in the hole it might have a bit of crud in it.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Dee_82 said:

pished down with rain I'm afraid :( Scotland isn't the best place for tinkering with cars, ill see if tomorrow is better, failing that, I can do it at work Saturday.

as for using other bolts, try it and see, just not tighten too hard, it shouldn't be that hard to screw in although if its not had a bolt in the hole it might have a bit of crud in it.

No worries, whenever you can.  I'll be doing the oil & filter on Monday so will try the bolts i have and see how it goes.  Just one question on the filter.  How does the air box come out?  Is it just clipped in?  Looks like a lot better access at the filter if i take it out.

• Like 1

at the front of the airbox down the side facing the turbo is a small rubber O-Ring, pop that off first. Then there is the turbo hose, disconnect it at the airbox, the turbo and the breather pipe, careful with the clips on the breather, they are easily broken.

the airbox itself has two feet which push in to two rubber sockets, one on the back left attached to a small arm, right next to the fuel filter, the other is on the back right corner under the airbox, next to the battery. pull up the one on the arm next to the fuel filter first, there may be some hoses that need pulled to the side, then just grab the whole box and lift it up. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Dee_82 said:

at the front of the airbox down the side facing the turbo is a small rubber O-Ring, pop that off first. Then there is the turbo hose, disconnect it at the airbox, the turbo and the breather pipe, careful with the clips on the breather, they are easily broken.

the airbox itself has two feet which push in to two rubber sockets, one on the back left attached to a small arm, right next to the fuel filter, the other is on the back right corner under the airbox, next to the battery. pull up the one on the arm next to the fuel filter first, there may be some hoses that need pulled to the side, then just grab the whole box and lift it up. 

^^^^^^^Better than a haynes manual :thumbup1:

• Like 2

Did you have any joy on the bolt size?  I tried an m6 and it was too loose.  I've also discovered that the bracket at the bottom of the intercooler downpipe is loose too as well as the one just above the oil filter!  No idea who last messed with it but it wasn't me!  :biggrin:  If not mate i'll post a new thread see if anyone knows. Failing that i'll ring ford! Cheers

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club