Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MK8 Door Panel Squeak

DG97

Exactly same story here, every now and then you hear it when driving but on certain songs, it's terrible. 

For pure driving dynamics, great car but you pay let's be honest, quite a high price for what is a small car (list price of mine was just over £20k), in places, it really feels as if you've forked out £7k for a new Dacia. Especially the doors, whole plastic panel with a tiny bit of soft touch fabric or leather for your arm? Really Ford? Spend an extra £4-5 and be a bit more generous and make the car feel like the list price you want for it. I get the plastics on the lower end Style trim or even the Zetec, but it's the same story even in the ST-Line X's and Vignale's. And in the Vignale's where you get some "fancy looking" leather, it really shows up the plastics and you wonder what you pay for. But, I do think that going cheap on the plastics will just lead to rattles in the most annoying places. 

Mines fixed for now but with other rattles appearing anyway, you may as well start counting down the miles until it returns again lol

Are these rattles just with BO Speakers fitted? Ours is a non BO setup and there are no rattles. 

I had the rattle too, on the passengers door. Went in to the dealer at 2.000 km and had it fixed. They told me that it waa the connection rod for the door handle mechanism. Bass is full once again!

I have the B&O setup and I think someone else mentioned that it could be a pattern but then the courtesy car I had was a non BO and also had a similar issue. 

Connection rod for the door handle mechanism, thank you for that! I’ll keep that in mind if the issue returns 🙂 

Unfortunately, the rattle is still there, same symptoms and you can actually hear more a bit higher up in the door panel, back to the dealer it is! 

I think they said they took it off and put it back on again but I think unless they find the specific cause, they’ll have to try and sort some padding or something to get rid of the noise, not taking off and putting it back on again. 

11 hours ago, Mavroz said:

Are these rattles just with BO speakers fitted? Ours is a non BO setup and there are no rattles. 

Mine is a non BO.

Can't give a feasible answer to that then, other than maybe the difference is the Non BO St line X doesn't have the door rattle.

Sorry i can't be more helpful.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Well, the rattle was back this weekend but I could fix it by just pushing and pulling on the compartment a bit. I'm pretty sure the rattle I have is from the place where the door storage compartment touches the door at the front, if I pull it out a bit here I have no rattle at all. If it does come back I will try to squeeze something in there, just some damping would fix it probably. I guess that Ford must know from this issue as well now, it seems to be quite common and only on this forum several members have the issue. Let's hope they find the source and get a fix for it.. 

The panoramic roof is getting more and more the new pain in the ***... Especially on hot days it just rattles so badly, opening it fixes it and I can stop it with my finger by pressing the windscreen, so probably the plastic from the windscreen is touching the glass and vibrating. I might make a new topic for that sometime, but argh.. it seems that this car just can't stop rattling from different places! I really try to like it as much as I liked my previous Fiesta, but really hope this will stop.

• Like 1

I actually took my car in for some sound proofing in the doors as I thought the dealer would be useless in fixing it as they had been so far. 

I had 3mm sound proofing sheets fitted to each door, it has made things much better, the rattle has been basically killed off apart from a very gentle rattle still coming from the door bin when listening to something with deep bass and very loudly. I can kill it with a little bit of pressure on the door bin so i’m going to fix it this weekend myself I think and finally then, i’m crossing my fingers that the rattles will have been killed off. 

Sorry to hear about the sunroof, I can imagine that being really irritating. 

I can only shadow what you said mate, I try to really like the car as generally it’s good but it’s the little things like the poor quality/finish from Ford that has really tarnished the car. 

That's interesting! Can you show how and where you placed the sound proofing material? That might be a solution if it returns..

For the panoramic roof I have some progress as well: it seems that the rubber seals dry out pretty quickly and then start to squeak. This is quite common also on other brands, so a lot of info was available on how to fix this. I purchased some rubber grease which should fix this, so let's hope this brings a solution there.

• Like 1

I already tried lubricating the roof seals and it made no difference. My noise sounds like 2 hard surfaces clicking creaking against eachother rather than glass on rubber

Thanks for the update... that's sad to hear. I hear an equal sound, I just found that I can actually stop it by pressing with my finger in the space in the corner where you can just touch the windscreen. It seems that the winscreen (spring loaded) bounces against the hard plastic piece on the roof. I am going to try to add some damping tape to the plastic part on the glass which locks the windscreen when closed and see if it fixes the squeaks.

Good idea. My noise sounds more like it is coming from the rear drivers side of the roof and I can recreate it if I push up on the headlining in this area.

I'd take the pictures but I don't want to take the door panels off in case the noise returns. But, in short, there are 5 3mm sheets that have gone onto the actual door itself (stuck to the metal panels) and some of that has also gone onto the plastic door panel on the inside of it. This has been placed on the key points really, around the Speakers, where the door bin is "welded" to the main door panel etc. I have also got a Wave diffuser fitted behind the Speakers in the front - it's essentially a big thick sponge. Both products are from Skinz. 

Still constantly on the lookout if the rattle is there or not but at the moment, it seems to have settled. I was deliberating the panoramic roof when ordering mine but it was a bit too costly so I didnt bother but hearing about the rattles from there, I am happy I don't have it fitted, it'd be another thing to drive me insane! 

Hopefully if these rattles dont come back, I can finally return to enjoying the car. 

Let me try to find a solution for your rattle issues.

When you inspect the door trim panel, you will find that it is touching the sheet metal. On the lower edge below the map pocket there is a gap condition to the sheet metal. Follow this gap to the front of your vehicle. There will be a transition to the sheet metal again. In that very point/transition a felt is/should be placed to avoid direct contact of the door panel shutface with the sheetmetal. Moving on to the corner point there should be another piece of felt also avoiding contact to the sheetmetal and one last felt just at the end of the corner radius. 

Could you please check if all these 3 felts are in place? 

Thanks both! So that means I have to take the door panel out and then check the inside for both the sheetmetal or just add soundproofing like DG97 did right? Is it easy to take the panel off? Havent' really tried that before, but might be the way to go to get rid of it.

To remove the door trim panel you have to:

1 - remove screw cover in inner release handle by pushing on its upper-rearwards edge. Then you can unscrew the torx 20 screw.

2 - apply some friction with your fingers and slide out the reflector part to the rear of the vehicle. Unscrew the screw. 

3 - unscrew two screws below the map pocket 

4 - carefully remove the switch bezel (trim part around the window switch pack) with a plastic spudger/trim removal tool. It's little difficult without any practise. Start at the front edge and get your spudger in-between the gap of the switch bezal and the Frontmost Tip of the Trim. Lift the tool upwards to unclip the bezel. There are 3 metal clamps along the painted/chromed deco stripe. Disengage them with the same upward movement. 

Now pull the switch bezel upward and to yourself. Get in-between the opening gap of switch bezel and door trim panel to disengage the two molded hooks from the trim panel. 

When the bezel is out, remove the switch pack wiring andu unscrew the two (Driver side) or three (passenger side) torx 30 screws. 

- start to unclip the whole door trim from the lower edge to the upper. 

I have actually placed a couple of felts on the drivers door as a test. So far this has worked, although since the sound proofing, it has been relatively stable apart from one time. I am hearing a buzzing noise regardless of any music being played on tougher roads and higher speeds. I’m going to place some felts on that door too but the one I have heard, I think may be a new one, as applying pressure onto the panel or moving it slightly, didn’t affect the buzz so it could be another new one! 

I’m going to check where it is coming from when i’m Driving back. 

Really starting to get tired of the car lol

• 3 weeks later...

Well the panoramic roof issue has been fixed! So that's one really annoying sound removed from the car. 😉

The panoramic roof has the roof liner attached to it with really big velcro strips, they are actually more like big plastic blocks that interconnect. You can see them when the roof is open on both sides. One of these velcro strips was not connected correctly, and therefore the plastic parts of the liner would toch the plastic parts of the roof and create some squeaks. If you open the velcro, you can drop the roof liner and put some absorbing material between the roof and the liner which ensures it can never squeak again. This is not necessary though as I got rit of the rattles by just placing the velcro in the correct place.

The door rattles now and then, but not enough to make me open the door panel yet. I'm starting to like the car more and more, but boy... that was a bad start. One last annoying thing on the list; the off-center steering wheel which Ford has already tried to fix. 😣

Happy to hear that! I have to say, mine is on the verge of being clear. Just one buzzing noise left. Only happens every now and then and on rougher roads. It’s either the A-pillar or the door handle but by applying pressure to it and giving it a slight pull and push, I can get rid of the noise for a few days until I have to repeat so for now, I can live with that! 

The driving properties and equipment of the car are really good but like you say, that was a bad start haha

2 hours ago, Martijn89 said:

Well the panoramic roof issue has been fixed! So that's one really annoying sound removed from the car. 😉

The panoramic roof has the roof liner attached to it with really big velcro strips, they are actually more like big plastic blocks that interconnect. You can see them when the roof is open on both sides. One of these velcro strips was not connected correctly, and therefore the plastic parts of the liner would toch the plastic parts of the roof and create some squeaks. If you open the velcro, you can drop the roof liner and put some absorbing material between the roof and the liner which ensures it can never squeak again. This is not necessary though as I got rit of the rattles by just placing the velcro in the correct place.

The door rattles now and then, but not enough to make me open the door panel yet. I'm starting to like the car more and more, but boy... that was a bad start. One last annoying thing on the list; the off-center steering wheel which Ford has already tried to fix. 😣

That's great info on the roof thanks! I have seen those velcro blocks and I reckon that is exactly the same problem I am having - will investigate later. Do you just pull the liner down from the roof, or is there any special technique?

1 hour ago, Jonson said:

That's great info on the roof thanks! I have seen those velcro blocks and I reckon that is exactly the same problem I am having - will investigate later. Do you just pull the liner down from the roof, or is there any special technique?

It's really easy, you can carefully pull the liner down which will click loose. The velcro block should come with it pretty easily. The liner itself is made of pretty weak material though, so it's good to be a bit careful around the edges. Hope it helps for you as well, this rattling was making me (almost) crazy! :-)

14 minutes ago, Martijn89 said:

It's really easy, you can carefully pull the liner down which will click loose. The velcro block should come with it pretty easily. The liner itself is made of pretty weak material though, so it's good to be a bit careful around the edges. Hope it helps for you as well, this rattling was making me (almost) crazy! 🙂

Great, thank you. So in what way was your liner not fixed properly? Not fully located or misaligned or something else?

7 hours ago, Jonson said:

Great, thank you. So in what way was your liner not fixed properly? Not fully located or misaligned or something else?

Yeah, it was misaligned. The velcro was touching for like 10%, the rest of it was sticking out. Now both velcro's touch each other perfectly. No rattles today, even on a hot day (which sort of seem to trigger it). But if it doesn't work, I'm pretty sure you can get some damping in between the plastic on the liner and the plastic of the roof. Fingers crossed!

• 4 months later...

Hi , I have just brought a titanium x with the b and system and my drivers side door rattles like mad even at with the music on low.

I have been reading every ones comments and really don’t want to have the door card taken off by ford in case it gets damaged.

Has anyone lossened the to screws at the bottom of the door bin and put some more black felt there the between the plastic and metal to dampen the vibration.

If i push on the plastic the noise goes away too but comes back as soon as i let go.

I checked the passengers side and it’s fine.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club