Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk3 Prefacelift Sync 2 8" touchscreen upgrade, How to guide with pics!!!

Luke_Anderson

On 6/3/2018 at 6:53 PM, Luke_Anderson said:

Being a facelift yours might be a bit more straight forward. I’d say the acm wiring is probably already there and maybe the ms can as well? 

I hope so! is there any way I can check? The wire's aren't in the APIM harness so I'd assume its not there? I mean the whole system seems operational (Still need to program her though! aaaaahhhh!)

11 hours ago, Luke_Anderson said:

I’m all installed and programmed on sync 3 now! The difference is incredible, if you get the opportunity to get sync 3 over sync 2 then do it! 

I can completely agree! Sync 3 was the best choice for me and I'd recommend it to anyone just for the sheer usability and performance on it VS Sync 2! Also I got my USB hub working finally! check it ooooout! (Please ignore the millions of unread texts 😧 Im terrible at replying to people!)

IMG_2589.JPG

Sometimes the only way to check is to try it and see what does and doesn’t work. The way to check for the acm wiring is to see if you have traffic updates, if you do then that’s all fine. I’m unsure as to what the ms can is for on the sync 3 but as mine was already connected I left it that way. I believe it does require it but for what purpose I don’t know. 

If you get the chance it’s worth applying all the updates to sync 3, I updated the software to version 3.0.3 and then updated the maps to f7, so far no problems at all 👍🏻👍🏻

299E5166-C890-411D-AA9B-8F4EE6462D76.jpeg

Look at you all with your fancy lah di dah sync 3 systems without fingerprints all over it!

What? Jealous? Me? Why would I be? Especially when I have one of these coming in the post:

Screenshot_20180605-092926.thumb.png.538d9ad8ba2e53e61517b2289b85e233.png

Ok ok, it was 2.30 this morning and I was sulking cos I can't get a sync 3!!

A bit pricey I know but well worth it I think. 

Now there are a couple of things to be aware of here and may trip me up when it arrives. 

Firstly I can find two different types. The one above (with the grey vent surrounds and split hazard and lock button) is DM51-18835-AAW.

There is another style where the surrounds are all black and the hazard button is just a hazard button, no lock button (assuming this is from a 3.5 where the lock button is in the drivers door handle. F1EB-18835-DE3JA6.

You can buy the lock/hazard button: BM5T-13A350-AA or finis 1653539.

Potential issues.

We had to trim the other facelift fascia didn't we? The style I've gone for is the same as was in my mk3 titanium before in that it has the lap cooler vents. I'm not bothered about that really, but more the look of the panel over all black. I just wonder if this will need trimming too.

On second thought, I think some mk3s did get sync 2 in the USA, and thinking about it, it would make sense for this fascia to have come from a mk3 with it having the lock button on it - as I've said the 3.5 has this button in the door card. Fitment might not be a problem after all.

The other issue is that the lock button is obviously seperate to the stereo controls, with a seperate plug. I'm hoping with some splicing I can get it to work ok, otherwise it'll be an mot fail of the hazards don't work!

The fascia I've bought comes with the pigtails, so hopefully that will give me a clue as to which wires need to go where!

Finally, if anyone wants to follow, there is a site called picclick which seems to make eBay searching a lot easier. I searched for focus stereo panel and these came up.

Here are some eBay numbers for others:

362323056022 that's the one above actually - I bought a different one.

362321551391 needs the grey surrounds but can be swapped from your old sync 1 fascia if needed

222800398924 for some reason only comes with one vent but again one can be moved from your current fascia

113010915919 says she won't ship internationally but might be ok if you arranged your own courier?

312132229716 black surround style.

The other thing to take into account is the customs charges. I'll let you know how I get on.

Sunna fussin russin sync 3...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Luke_Anderson said:

Sometimes the only way to check is to try it and see what does and doesn’t work. The way to check for the acm wiring is to see if you have traffic updates, if you do then that’s all fine. I’m unsure as to what the ms can is for on the sync 3 but as mine was already connected I left it that way. I believe it does require it but for what purpose I don’t know. 

If you get the chance it’s worth applying all the updates to sync 3, I updated the software to version 3.0.3 and then updated the maps to f7, so far no problems at all 👍🏻👍🏻

Well.... I can't actually tell whether I do or not xD to be honest I've switched over to CarpPlay for navigation due to the maps being so out of date AND the fact my in car GPS think's I drive through the fields behind me most of the time haha!  I'll have to do some diagnosis!

Where did you get the updates!? I can't get it passed 2.2 and its bugging me XD Any/all help you can offer for this would be AMAZING! haha! *Pouts with puppy dog eyes*

Also, have you run your VIN on Ford's Sync update site? Ford knows I've changed from Sync 1.1 to 3 O.O Big Brother is always watching!

6 hours ago, Phil21185 said:

Look at you all with your fancy lah di dah sync 3 systems without fingerprints all over it!

What? Jealous? Me? Why would I be? Especially when I have one of these coming in the post:

Ok ok, it was 2.30 this morning and I was sulking cos I can't get a sync 3!!

Sunna fussin russin sync 3...

I imagine this like a Monty Python Sketch, specifically Brian's Mother in The Life of Brian or the General in Meaning of Life xDDDD 

1 hour ago, skullyi said:

Well.... I can't actually tell whether I do or not xD to be honest I've switched over to CarpPlay for navigation due to the maps being so out of date AND the fact my in car GPS think's I drive through the fields behind me most of the time haha!  I'll have to do some diagnosis!

Where did you get the updates!? I can't get it passed 2.2 and its bugging me XD Any/all help you can offer for this would be AMAZING! haha! *Pouts with puppy dog eyes*

Also, have you run your VIN on Ford's Sync update site? Ford knows I've changed from Sync 1.1 to 3 O.O Big Brother is always watching!

I imagine this like a Monty Python Sketch, specifically Brian's Mother in The Life of Brian or the General in Meaning of Life xDDDD 

Lol my entire life is a Monty python sketch. At any point there is a giant foot about to descend!

How on earth does it know? Unless it's a WiFi update that pings it's servers? The APIM will pick up your vin from the rest of the canbus modules I guess.

The sync 2 module does the same if you look at the info page. Looks like it sends the info back to Big Ford...

Quick Phil!  Jump on it! 

As for updating I just used the vin out the car it came from and it downloaded the update. Download to usb and away you go 👍🏻 If you don’t have the vin of the car it came from eBay and etis the vin of any focus as not many people bother with the updates 👍🏻

Gps issue is weird, I just plugged in the original car one and it works fine, maybe check the positioning of your antenna? 

For the map updates follow this guide. 

https://s550.guru/how-to-update-ford-sync-3-europe-navigation-maps-to-f7/?v=79cba1185463

You have to like his YouTube page and the instructions aren’t the clearest but it was enough to work it out 👍🏻 I have the latest f7 maps released only a month or so ago and they download direct from Fords servers 

Thanks but that's sync 2. It's one of the ones I've seen as I've been browsing!

Wait, *****! That is Sync 3, looking at the back! Is it a nav one though?

• Like 1

yes its sync 3 he has messed up the part numbers

he put bm5t. should be jm5t.

Well I hope so cos I've just bought it!

Hope he hasn't pictured a sync 3 but is selling a sync 2...

Well looking through his other items he doesn't have another sync system, so maybe you're right! Fingers crossed!

Thanks for the find! Until recently I've not known what the back looks like so didn't know it wasn't sync 2!

yes there different at the back screen usually starts with gm5t and sync is jm5t. sync 3 has that little cable at the back plus the blue fakra one. 

Well I've just messaged the seller and directly asked if it includes everything as shown in the pictures and he says I will get what is shown. If it ain't sync 3 it's going back!

Yeah he's messed up the whole part number - I can't make all of it out to check. He looks like a breaker so hopefully he's just pulled it out of a car that was upgraded to sync 3 but checked the vin and copied sync 2 and the pn off the spec?

Ok part number looks like JM5T-14G370-GNC.

Quick look says it's Def a sync 3, which it looks like from the back!

Typhoon, if it is, mate, I owe you quite a lot of beers!

not a problem phil 👍 ive been keeping an eye on the thread for a while and been keen to do the upgrade on my car. you could sell your sync 2 and make your money back.  that is also the correct part number aswell

JM5T-14G370-GNC

17 minutes ago, Typhoonf2 said:

not a problem phil 👍 ive been keeping an eye on the thread for a while and been keen to do the upgrade on my car. you could sell your sync 2 and make your money back.  that is also the correct part number aswell

JM5T-14G370-GNC

Dang, sorry mate - that should have been yours then really - you spotted it first...☹️

Going back to the US fascia, according to this diagram, it should be possible to take out the right pins from the fcim loom and solder them to the pigtails on the haz/lock button:

ford_focus_mk3_sync_audio_wiring_diagram_sch.pdf

Edit: seller of the sync system just told me it was scrapped from an St line focus a while ago but can't remember the reg.

11 minutes ago, Phil21185 said:

Dang, sorry mate - that should have been yours then really - you spotted it first...☹️

i couldnt afford it at the moment anyway phil ive got a leaking water pump and the ac condenser has a hole in it so radio upgrade will have to wait lol.

Glad you got lucky! This all escalated very fast, in the last month I’ve had sync 1, 2 and now 3 😂 

also mate, that part number is the same as mine near enough, it’ll defo have nav 👍🏻

And you’ll have the door lock button back! Exciting times!! 

2 hours ago, Typhoonf2 said:

i couldnt afford it at the moment anyway phil ive got a leaking water pump and the ac condenser has a hole in it so radio upgrade will have to wait lol.

Ah sorry to hear that mate. You watch, after spending all my cash on this stereo I'll end up snapping the cambelt or something horrendous!

2 hours ago, Luke_Anderson said:

Glad you got lucky! This all escalated very fast, in the last month I’ve had sync 1, 2 and now 3 😂 

also mate, that part number is the same as mine near enough, it’ll defo have nav 👍🏻

And you’ll have the door lock button back! Exciting times!! 

Yeah I guess I'll have to stop grumbling now lol!

Might need to reread the thread to see what changes need to be made to accommodate the new system...

Need to get a carplay hub too, but there's enough of those on eBay.

Fascia not due to arrive until the end of the month so gonna have to find some patience! At least sync 3 can go in before then!

bugger all pretty much! Swap the units over, Find your original gps connector and plug it in ( it goes on upside down if I remember ) that’s it for up front! 

Swap out the media hub and splice on the new media hub connector ( if you can’t find a loom with the plug on it I’d probably just solder the wires onto the pins as there is only 2 ) 

programming is the same ( obviously just get the as built from a focus with sync 3 ) then use that google doc to tweak it, you change the same value for the on screen park display and you can then tweak to it how you like ( I took off the climate repeater as I never used it and it never made sense to me to have the display twice 😂

• Like 1

I was wondering about that. Does that mean that the carplay hub only takes voltage then? How is data relayed?

Edit: ahh stupid, there's the USB isn't there lol! Is it just one cable for both USB ports?

Also, what voltage is required: 12v or 5v?

What I'm getting at is can the old media hub loom be completely removed at the sync plug end and 12v taken from the rear cigarette socket?

It switches on and off with the radio, same pins as used for the sync 2 media hub. I popped the rear of the centre console off, exposed the 2 wires from the sync 2 plug and soldered the 2 wires from the sync 3 plug onto them 👍🏻

19 hours ago, Phil21185 said:

Thanks but that's sync 2. It's one of the ones I've seen as I've been browsing!

Wait, *****! That is Sync 3, looking at the back! Is it a nav one though?

Glad you have got sorted Phil , Going to missed the banter between you and the others on this thread , Especially Luke .

18 hours ago, Typhoonf2 said:

Typhoonf2 Stay away from the main dealers then, Just had my Aircon condenser replaced at Trust Ford in St Helens £390 all in .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Luke_Anderson said:

It switches on and off with the radio, same pins as used for the sync 2 media hub. I popped the rear of the centre console off, exposed the 2 wires from the sync 2 plug and soldered the 2 wires from the sync 3 plug onto them 👍🏻

Righto. Thanks again 🙂

1 hour ago, Swiftfocus69 said:

Glad you have got sorted Phil , Going to missed the banter between you and the others on this thread , Especially Luke .

Typhoonf2 Stay away from the main dealers then, Just had my Aircon condenser replaced at Trust Ford in St Helens £390 all in .

Ah don't worry. There'll still he plenty of banter - you wait till I get my US fascia in and working!

I'll be the belle of the ball then! 🙃

• Like 1

I’m gonna have to try and get one express shipped so I can get in there first 😂😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Luke_Anderson said:

I’m gonna have to try and get one express shipped so I can get in there first 😂😂

Ooh you dare 🙂

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club