robbyvrs

MK8 Footwell lights

Thanks to all on this thread with the various info. I fitted my Ford footwell lights and they are very good - ambient indeed, a nice touch. I used a mirror to see where the driver side wire was. It uses the clip on the electrical connector to fix in a hole with the connector pins facing the driver, so if you reach under the panel and locate it by touch, it actually comes out really easily if you press down on the clip at the top and pull it directly towards the front of the car. No need for removing anything.

Hi all!

Well, it took ages before the lights arrived at Ford. But just got mine this morning and installed them right away. Installing took me less than one minute on each side, for some reason I don't have a big steel bar like on the previous photos... Maybe that is something in the UK only (RHD)? I was able to grab the connector, pull it out of it's hole and then just click it in the LED lamp. It does look nice and dims nicely when turned on or off. I will take some photos at night to have a better view on how much light these OEM lights give. Price was EUR 16,- per lamp which wasn't too bad. 

The lamps, they actually click in really easily and give a nice blue light. Just the same colour as the rest of the ambiance lighting inside.

IMG_0202.thumb.jpg.17fb152e79d577a54042966946c1998b.jpg

The installed light at the passengers side. This was an easy one; the connector was fitted in the slot just besides the slot for the lamp. It was easy to pull it out and connect it to the lamp.

IMG_0204.thumb.jpg.7eb218205d7acdf2c8504ece89ee987b.jpg

And the installation at the drivers side. Luckily I had no metal bar like I saw on previous photos, you could grab the cable which was connected to a small plastic connector just besides the hole for the lamp itself. After I was sure I could pull this out and it didn't powered something else (just to be sure 😁) I was able to pull it out and connect it to the lamp. Which then clicked into the hole for the lamp easily again. 

IMG_0211.thumb.jpg.0fa67088433aa4bf95cd9205d9be16df.jpg

So as promised, the interior photos at night of the OEM lights. Bit hard to see, but a very nice look in real! Happy with installing these and blending in nicely with the other ambient lights.

A3B249BD-5EDA-4EB2-A16D-24D2339AB6C0.thumb.jpeg.78db9a22a6cbab76160c949f0be5fc5d.jpeg

AB4DBAFF-3C98-4C8E-9356-035376C0AAC8.thumb.jpeg.6627dc931e8367d53f7e701015b96d29.jpeg

Fitted mine last weekend after overnight delivery from Ford Parts at no extra cost, really easy to install both sides would definately recommend it!

Did some of you had any problems after fitting the OEM Footwell light?

In the ST Line X and possibly other trims  too, there is some ambient light in the cupholder area, am I correct thinking that the footwell lights would be switched on and work at the same time as the light in the cupholder? 

On 1/8/2019 at 11:12 PM, Fiestafyn said:

Did some of you had any problems after fitting the OEM Footwell light?

Nope.. 

On 1/9/2019 at 4:44 PM, DG97 said:

In the ST Line X and possibly other trims  too, there is some ambient light in the cupholder area, am I correct thinking that the footwell lights would be switched on and work at the same time as the light in the cupholder? 

In my ST-Line, they are both on, at the same time.

Managed to remove the driver side wire after a bit of wrist breaking, I didnt think the metal bar needed removing but would have probably made it a bit easier. The worst part I thought was pulling the wire out of the connector hole. I pressed down on the clip and tried pulling the wire out but needed quite a few attempts before it finally came out. 

Finally received the 2 lights from Ford and fitted them a moment ago. Once you've got the wires out, as others have said its a very quick and easy fit. 

In terms of the lights itself - they're spot on. Not bright enough to be distracting and just add a really nice touch to the interior. 

On 1/11/2019 at 10:48 AM, DG97 said:

Managed to remove the driver side wire after a bit of wrist breaking, I didnt think the metal bar needed removing but would have probably made it a bit easier. The worst part I thought was pulling the wire out of the connector hole. I pressed down on the clip and tried pulling the wire out but needed quite a few attempts before it finally came out. 

I ended up removing the bar which made it far easier - like yourself I am really pleased with the lights, a very worthwhile mod.

Paul.