Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MONDEO MK5 power steering MAJOR failure

david_dc

I can't see why you are checking bolts with a magnet
They are visibly totally different See USA Recall/Bulletin https://www.docdroid.net/AnJKISP/r15s143.pdf
Early Bolt has Torx screw head - requires replacement and sealant applied (See USA Recall/Bulletin)  Labour time1 Hour, or if rack required 3.7 hrs
Later bolt (approx April 2015) has Hexagon head and no action required. (See USA Recall/Bulletin) Dealer Part number for Hexagonal bolt is 4634838, 3 off required, total cost £6 plus sealant. Order from dealer, available next day
I did post up an above  link yesterday 13 Jan.
Just updated on TF site, see my post number 62 today https://talkford.com/community/topic/394099-steering-bolt-failure-official-response-from-dvla/page-7?do=findComment&comment=3141661
There will be very few affected uk model mondeo

Some people aren't happy with just visually checking the bolts and want a 'physical' confirmation. If your happy enough with just looking then that's great, this is just an alternative way.

What would you define as a 'few' Mondeos? I know of about 2 dozen up to now and the member seems to be going up daily [emoji3525]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Hi Jon,

IIRC uk Mondeo started in late 2014 and the prob was fixed by approx March/April 2015 - so from a production/registration point of view that will have not been a large amount of vehs, especially from a normal manufacturers view, lets face it Mondeo sales figures are rubbish (although I loved my fully kitted Mk5 Ecoboost)

I am happy just to do a visual check because the Hexagon heads are correct and acceptable as per the bulletin. Or are you saying the bulletin is wrong and untrustworthy.

If you are aware of 2 dozen failures how many of the cases have been reported to DVSA, as they should have been. The more DVSA hears the better chance of action.

In my own opinion this problem should have been a recall because it is NOT how Ford have told DVSA, that when failure occurs the veh can still be steered safely under a "manual Steering" feel - NOT true as you know due to the "lock ups" we have heard about 

Hi

You're right, there seems to be a small window between the start of production in 2014 and approx March 2015. That is build dates rather than date of registration though. We have seen some 65 plates fail.

We are encouraging all the owners who have experienced any kind of failure, whatever end of the spectrum the resulting damage is. We have advised people tell Ford (obviously), the DVSA and Andy Barratt - Ford CEO.

I have messaged Andy myself, and he responded saying that it has been brought to his attention and he is currently investigating it, he will get back to me.

I have no reason to think that the US document is untrustworthy. The reason some people have opted to use a magnet is down to them not having the confidence to identify the different heads. The magnet test us not open to interpretation, it either sticks or it doesn't.

It's Ford in the UK that I don't trust, I feel there is a lot of denial about the issue. There are garages that currently have broken vehicles in the bays who deny knowing about the issue when asked by a different owner.

It's a real shame.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TrevorB said:

I can't see why you are checking bolts with a magnet

They are visibly totally different See USA Recall/Bulletin https://www.docdroid.net/AnJKISP/r15s143.pdf

Early Bolt has Torx screw head - requires replacement and sealant applied (See USA Recall/Bulletin)  Labour time1 Hour, or if rack required 3.7 hrs

Later bolt (approx April 2015) has Hexagon head and no action required. (See USA Recall/Bulletin) Dealer Part number for Hexagonal bolt is 4634838, 3 off required, total cost £6 plus sealant. Order from dealer, available next day

I did post up an above  link yesterday 13 Jan.

Just updated on TF site, see my post number 62 today https://talkford.com/community/topic/394099-steering-bolt-failure-official-response-from-dvla/page-7#entry3141661

There will be very few affected uk model mondeo

Actually your wrong. Both early and late bolts are torx head. The us recall used hex head bolts as replacements as the torx steel bolts are not available as a spare part. That's why hex head bolts were used. All mondeos early up and including brand-new ones have torx bolts. I work for ford dealer and checked new builds . 

• Like 2

Many thanks for the info Ian. The USA Bulletin initially "suggests" it is a different bolt. I will update the TF site with your info, thank you

Jon, I agree, it's Ford in the uk I don't trust either.

As I see it if Ford had not told/advised DVSA that the steering could lock (and we know it can) if they had I am sure DVSA would have looked at it differently.

For Ford to tell DVSA that if the motor comes away it just goes into a "manual type" steering mode but the vehicle can still be steered is totally wrong

Mind you, the USA recall is not that brill, only cold climates/vehs in corrosive climates are on recall - lot of dissatisfied USA owners

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TrevorB said:

Many thanks for the info Ian. The USA Bulletin initially "suggests" it is a different bolt. I will update the TF site with your info, thank you

Jon, I agree, it's Ford in the uk I don't trust either.

As I see it if Ford had not told/advised DVSA that the steering could lock (and we know it can) if they had I am sure DVSA would have looked at it differently.

For Ford to tell DVSA that if the motor comes away it just goes into a "manual type" steering mode but the vehicle can still be steered is totally wrong

Mind you, the USA recall is not that brill, only cold climates/vehs in corrosive climates are on recall - lot of dissatisfied USA owners

this is a brand new mondeo steering rack and as you can see the torx bolts are still the same design but steel. my 16 plate mondeo is the same. 

i had mine, the brand new one and the first broken one ive come across on a 15 plate on ramps to compare.

the replacement bolts listed in the us recall are fitted on various ford vehicles , one example is on the gear lever housing on a maverick  

20191227_144331.jpg

Screenshot_20191122-183323-1.png

• Like 3

From the photo seen above, if a green coat paint similar to used on the stud above (Loctite 290 Wicking) is used to seal around the Aluminium Torx heads and the steering pump flanges then this will seal the top of the thread joint preventing water ingress and oxidisation by the air. It wouldn't be advisable to put it on the thread itself and ***** it in though. Could be worth a try to prevent any further internal bolt flange corrosion getting any worse.

On 1/13/2020 at 9:32 PM, iantt said:

The racks from approximately march 15 onwards have steel bolts as standard. I'm guessing the threads they screw into are steel inserts So should be ok . 

I've got one at work with broken off bolts so will get closer look when the rack comes out. 

So basically, Mondeos made after 2015/03 are "fixed" and they've been made with steel bolts instead of the aluminium?

Sounds that way... if they've got steel inserts. But who knows? You'd have to have the pump off to look and verify this.

My UK Titanium X BY 29-05-2015 have Alu Bolts. Luckally not broken yet, so need to be replaced ASAP. Has anyone replaced them by a Ford Dealership? If not what was their response not to do it?

Cheers

On 1/25/2020 at 10:31 AM, Yetello said:

My UK Titanium X BY 29-05-2015 have Alu Bolts. Luckally not broken yet, so need to be replaced ASAP. Has anyone replaced them by a Ford Dealership? If not what was their response not to do it?

Cheers

Email Ford Exec office (can't remember email address off top of my head, but google it or someone on here will post), they have been known to carry free of charge repairs/replacements for some affected owners. You shouldn't be paying for a known, wide-spread design flaw.

• Like 1

Ian - hope that happens.

Yetello & Incontro - there are a couple of guys posted on Talk Ford who have approached Ford Dealers to fit new bolts to their vehs and Ford Dealers have refused saying that they have no instruction/permission to do so from FMC

They were not asking for the job to be done FOC (that would have been a bonus)

23 hours ago, TrevorB said:

Ian - hope that happens.

Yetello & Incontro - there are a couple of guys posted on Talk Ford who have approached Ford Dealers to fit new bolts to their vehs and Ford Dealers have refused saying that they have no instruction/permission to do so from FMC

They were not asking for the job to be done FOC (that would have been a bonus)

That's why I said you need to contact the Exec office for a result, I am already aware that the dealers are fobbing off people (it's their favourite pastime)

• Like 1

On 1/30/2020 at 6:37 PM, iantt said:

There are rumours of a recall being issued. 

I really hope they end up on Watchdog again, it's seems to be at least an annual occurrence for covering up design faults (or at least refusing to fix them free of charge when they know that xxx vehicles left the factory with a clear fault).

These days, the only way to make a big company consider a complaint is to put it in the Public arena with Social Media to @forduk on Twitter and Facebook, and also copy in a Newspaper like the @TheSun who will take up the story too.

Business does not like bad publicity. The more people tell their story, the more a business will look to remediate and rectify the problem to protect their brand as soon as practical.

• Like 1

My Feb 2015 Mondeo was at a garage today for what they thought was the strut top bearings ,the steering has had a knocking ,clonking noise when on full lock , for the past week.On examination it turned out bolts had sheered on the motor attached to rack 

No racks are available second hand in N Ireland today ,I was told not to drive the car ,so do DVSA say its safe ,and I wont end up in a field?

Thanks

My previous Mk4 mondeo diesel estate had an intermitttent power steering problem, it would lose power steering from time to time. I'm a big 6ft bloke - and I can tell you that I hat to use my maximum strength to control the car - it seemed to only happen at relatively low speeds (10 - 40)  but each time it happened it would give me a hell of a fright. I doubt many women or elderly people would be able to steer the car  when this happened.

Kenny Mac

As what Incontro has said above, contact Ford Exec Office (google it for a list) https://www.ceoemail.com/s.php?id=ceo-8960

My friend has just e mailed this guy

Sent email to this guy abarratt@ford.com he is a CEO in the Complaints Dept.

Friend had a very quick response to his email, saying they are aware of the problem,and that there will be a recall,but that date has yet to be fixed.

In the meantime he should go to a Ford dealership so they can check his steering bolts,at no cost.

He is to email them back after a booking in date has been made and they will sort it.

• Like 1

You just have to hope you get one of the girls replying because Faz is the slowest one to progress things.

I penned an email and shared it with my Mk5 group, few people have used it as a template. If anyone wants me to share it here then I'd be more than happy to.

Jon

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Hi Jon,

Thank you for the offer. Please can you post up the template as I think the more of a "standard" approach is much better.

Whilst on, can you confirm that "incorrect" bolts can be identified by doing a "magnet test" with the bolts still in their fixed position - thanks

• Like 2

This is the letter some members have used, I'm happy for anybody to use it as it is, or bits of it. The bits in red is what Ford have always requested in their follow up emails.

The bolts can be checked at home using a magnet, you want the magnet to stick to the bolt head. It's the aluminium bolts that are the problem.

Good Morning\Afternoon Mr Barrat

I am the owner of a 2015 Mk5 Ford Mondeo, it has been brought to my attention via social media and internet sources that there is a potential safety issue with the aluminium bolts that hold the power steering motor to the steering rack. It is my understanding that said bolts have been known to shear and allow the parts to separate, causing a loss of power steering and potentially effecting the ability to control the vehicle safely if this were to happen at speed, not to mention the cost implication of repairing the issue. My main concern is that as this is our family car, which my wife and young children are frequently on board, it poses a significant safety risk to them.

In the American market the affected vehicles were recalled and remedial action was carried out at no cost to the customer, at present this has not been rolled out in the UK. Again from sources on social media and internet I understand that Ford UK are in the process of investigating the situation and will be issuing advice very soon.

I am keen to have my vehicle checked at the earliest opportunity and made safe if it is found to have the aluminium bolts. I am aware that you will require some information about the vehicle and it’s history, so to expedite the process I have included the details I think you may require moving forward;

Registration & VIN
Current vehicle mileage
Confirmation you are the registered keeper as per the V5C document
Have you booked your vehicle into a Ford dealership for diagnosis, if so where?
Your full address including postcode
Your preferred method of contact.

I would appreciate your timely response to this email and look forward to hearing from you.

Kind Regards

Henry Ford

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

• Like 2

On 2/7/2020 at 9:42 PM, kENNY Mac I said:

My Feb 2015 Mondeo was at a garage today for what they thought was the strut top bearings ,the steering has had a knocking ,clonking noise when on full lock , for the past week.On examination it turned out bolts had sheered on the motor attached to rack 

No racks are available second hand in N Ireland today ,I was told not to drive the car ,so do DVSA say its safe ,and I wont end up in a field?

Thanks

My march 2015 mondeo needs a rack due to broken bolts, in NI also, did they give you any idea on a timescale for ordering one?? 

Got an email back today from louise Morris, they are recalling these but there is no date set yet, they've booked my mondeo in for a free diagnosis and are working from there 🙂

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club