Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Anyone Fitted Dash Cam

Hostahousey

I wondered if I should fit a Dash Cam , I think insurance companies allow a discount if fitted. Any

one fitted one , if so, can you give any tips on make , fitting , etc.

Ive got a nextbase 512GW was on offer at Halfords good images day and night, its fitted next to the pillar on the passengers side as you cant get it in the centre due to the sensors, the cable is run down the pillar into the fuse box  neat installation cant remember wich fuse its piggy backed onto and unfortunately i cant  get to see it due to my disability , its very hard to the camera into a good position due to the short wiper on the pasenger side, but this works fine and isnt in your vision from the drivers seat it hides on the pillasr if you see what i mean.  The picture will give you a better idea

8ECCC7C9-3826-48BA-98B6-B6E58D5A1AA6.jpeg

@Hostahousey this may help, i had strange electrical problems in cluding dash cam not workinf so had to investigate the fuse box, several loose fuse due to passengers feet i think, sorry cant read the fuse number but the picture will give you the location, it earthed on a srcew that just above the box hope it helps. I think the fuse is F86.

B4797655-0C39-4D00-8947-927137CD0977.jpeg

thanks again for the info Pete ...still debating which dash cam to buy.

Theres a thread on wihich cam to get. 

i have a Nextbase 512 dash cam, very good quality video. i wired it in myself to fuse 61 piggy backed. one tip if you get a nextbase buy the genuine fitting kit as aftermarket ones while being cheaper dont have the correct mini blade fuse holder.

been using it since last August with no problems at all.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Garry DW17 said:

i have a Nextbase 512 dash cam, very good quality video. i wired it in myself to fuse 61 piggy backed. one tip if you get a nextbase buy the genuine fitting kit as aftermarket ones while being cheaper dont have the correct mini blade fuse holder.

been using it since last August with no problems at all.

A good point re fitting kit. F61 stays permanently live on my car but it is the newer model.

Hi.

Just to let you know that a number of our insurance schemes do offer discounts for the fitment of a HD dash cam.

Regards,

Dan.

• Like 1

Hi Dan,

does the dash cam have to be of a certain make to get a discount. The reason I ask is, I am completely mistyfied by the different dash cams and different prices on the market. The prices range from about £10 to hundreds so what are the differences?

19 minutes ago, Hostahousey said:

I am completely mistyfied by the different dash cams and different prices on the market. The prices range from about £10 to hundreds so what are the differences?

The difference in price reflects the difference in quality of recordings, functions etc. 
A £10 dashcam might seem like a great idea but the video quality will be so low, you'll not get any worthwhile footage from it. It will be like VHS quality and not DVD quality with low bitrate, fps etc. 
Also, a dashcam that costs £350 should be good quality but price doesn't mean everything. 
I purchased (just the other day) a Viofo A129 dual HD camera system for £130 and the quality is brilliant and they are small and not intrusive so I'd recommend it. 

3 hours ago, Hostahousey said:

Hi Dan,

does the dash cam have to be of a certain make to get a discount. The reason I ask is, I am completely mistyfied by the different dash cams and different prices on the market. The prices range from about £10 to hundreds so what are the differences?

As said above quality of image especially at night, i looked aroud a lot befor settling on the nextbase 512 GW it was on offer with free fitting and fitting kit and a polorising filter( it stops a lot of glare from the windscreen), its all about your budget. Dont be tempted by those dual cams that strap over your interior mirror on the cmax they cover sensors also prone to failure, also a lot of the dual camera only have one processor and can become unresponsive.

if getting from Halfords its worth becoming a forum member for the discount more than covers the cost of membership.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club