Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How To: Focus MK3 SYNC 3 upgrade for Bluetooth Voice Control (BVC) cars from 2011, 2012 and 2013

JPW
聽Share

How would I know what pins to remap? Where can I figure all this stuff out to follow along?

No harness means all I need is female jumper wires and crimping stuff right? Then I can do my installation as necessary?

Right now i've just wrapped my dash and cables in a bin bag mechanic style to prevent dirt and stuff, but everything is ready for the upgrade. I am waiting on the USB AirPlay module but I am hoping I can leave the wiring loose at that end in the arm-rest until it arrives from China.

If you know which pins i'll have to remap or where I can find any diagrams online please let me know 馃檪

2 minutes ago, RowanOnFord said:

How would I know what pins to remap? Where can I figure all this stuff out to follow along?

No harness means all I need is female jumper wires and crimping stuff right? Then I can do my installation as necessary?

Right now i've just wrapped my dash and cables in a bin bag mechanic style to prevent dirt and stuff, but everything is ready for the upgrade. I am waiting on the USB AirPlay module but I am hoping I can leave the wiring loose at that end in the arm-rest until it arrives from China.

If you know which pins i'll have to remap or where I can find any diagrams online please let me know 馃檪

Ok, I found this online - https://drive.google.com/file/d/12jrKBjjSYhiItFzSDb3VUNt3tcWtKilU/view - not sure how useful it is, going to take a look properly now.

What existing OEM features are you in your car? Parking sensors, reverse camera, DAB etc?

I can provide you with a proper wiring map as there's a lot of information out there not accurate/in need of updating.

Just now, JPW said:

What existing OEM features are you in your car? Parking sensors, reverse camera, DAB etc?

I can provide you with a proper wiring map as there's a lot of information out there not accurate/in need of updating.

None, but I will be retrofitting rear sensors in the next 2 weeks (waiting on loom to arrive) and will be adding a camera (I hope) towards the Summer. I only have the connectors for rear sensors (and its a pain to retrofit the front ones)

Besides that its the standard Hatchback 2014, no parking assist, nothing else 馃檪

Think i've found things, is this correct? image.thumb.png.a3c51f7274f943d6529016a9b3c5e598.png

Seems to be inline with what the Drive spreadsheet says?

As if by magic, I've modified my wiring sheet for SYNC 1 to SYNC 3聽馃檪

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1m2YAAQbskHpL3UQOX0D646ZBgnAPt_yTWPzK73HFxRw/edit#gid=0

Hardly any changes really!

You basically use your existing 54-pin connector going to your SYNC 1 unit, and take some pins out and put them back in the new position as per the document.

Then, you just need to tap in to the other ones that come from the FCDIM or for MS-CAN etc.

5 minutes ago, JPW said:

As if by magic, I've modified my wiring sheet for SYNC 1 to SYNC 3聽馃檪

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1m2YAAQbskHpL3UQOX0D646ZBgnAPt_yTWPzK73HFxRw/edit#gid=0

Hardly any changes really!

Legend! Pin 7 -> 20 Sync 1 -> Sync 3??? The other sheet said Pin 17 -> 20?

Edit: Same with Pin 26 -> 24......... yours is saying 36 -> 24?

Wondering if that's a typo or it's actually different 馃檪

Edited by RowanOnFord
add more info

Where it mentions I can tap into the "Climate Control" pins 18 and 19, I am right in assuming we mean this connector? (This is the only similar style connector on the A/C controls panel?

Also is there any specific guage of wire to use if splicing the APIM connector to the OBD2 connector side? If theres a specific wire needed and I can join it to the connector shown above it sounds a whole lot easier than passing wires from the APIM to the OBD2 side near the wheel 馃檪

Let me know if i've got anything messed up here - my understanding is that I can take a jumper wire (as mentioned in your guide) and cut 1 end, then solder a T-joint off of 18 and 19 on the Climate Control (because those female wires are only 20cm length) and plug the other (pin side) into the APIM connectors pin 16 and 17?

Similar situation if doing a long wire to the OBD2 but I just want to know if theres a specific kind of wire to make the join 聽

connector3.jpeg

connector2.jpeg

connector1.jpeg

Ah, so you have the manual style AC (Climate) control, so it won't be possible to splice in to that as the pins are not there. So we will need to tap in to the OBD2 port.

So yes, run two new wires from the radio area across to the OBD2 port and wire as per the sheet I shared. Do not cut any wires at the OBD2 port, just strip a bit of the copper and join in the extra wires.

This wire would be fine (overkill length for what you need though)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Plusivo-Silicone-Wire-22AWG-Colors/dp/B07YFXG4KX

Or any other 22 AWG wire would be fine.

• Thanks 1

Thanks! Sorted that - have realised I can't find a long enough mini to mini USB cable anywhere so might have to splice together 2 regular USB A to mini cables. Doesn't help that i'll have to sort a soldering iron and gear during lockdown and I can't just nip to my Dads 馃槩

If i'm being dumb and just can't find a decent length cable can someone please link me one to get hahah 馃槀

No need for soldering anything, I never needed one for the upgrade to SYNC 3 and I had to mod a lot of cables! You don't 馃檪

You could do it this way...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/deleyCON-mini-High-Speed-Cable-Black/dp/B00WHZ930Y

then this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-Mini-5-Pin-to-USB-Female-OTG-On-The-Go-Host-Adapter-Cable-For-Many-Devices-/323615993130

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, JPW said:

No need for soldering anything, I never needed one for the upgrade to SYNC 3 and I had to mod a lot of cables! You don't 馃檪

You could do it this way...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/deleyCON-mini-High-Speed-Cable-Black/dp/B00WHZ930Y

then this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-Mini-5-Pin-to-USB-Female-OTG-On-The-Go-Host-Adapter-Cable-For-Many-Devices-/323615993130

Good point! Subconsciouly wanting to solder again probably so finding any reason to get my hands on kit 馃槃 Fair that the adapter will be near the armrest so won't be seen, I'll probably order the stuff soon. My only part coming from China is the USB module 'cos it was about 拢40 cheaper so either way the cutout near the armrest will be empty for a while.

Thanks for sanity checking me 馃槀

Thanks for the explanation it helped me a lot with the installation!!!!馃憤

image00013.jpeg

• Like 1

That's great - really good this thread was of use. Did you face any challenges or differences? I am open to amend the guide or add any further details/improvements if you found any better way to do anything!

yes there was a problem after i install the system.聽I was constantly getting the message ''emergency assistance not working''聽because the rca module did not support it. I swapped the RCA for one of a newer type of focus.

1 hour ago, Thatredfocus said:

yes there was a problem after i install the system.聽I was constantly getting the message ''emergency assistance not working''聽because the rca module did not support it. I swapped the RCA for one of a newer type of focus.

I have the exact same problem, where you unable to write to the RCM in FORScan?

Dao you have the part number of the replacement module?

On 3/5/2020 at 1:14 PM, Ghano38 said:

Hi all,i finally resolved all the issues i had i even installed rear camera updated my Sync 3 to 3.4v with 8F nav maps聽activated HD radio聽auto lock and many other options so feel welcome to ask any question please.

I have a 2012 C Max like yourself, did you have this "Emergency Assistance" issue?

Maybe my 2012 Focus had a slightly newer RCM module which is why I didn'tt have any issue modifying the settings to enable emergency assist... but the 2011 Focus/2012 C-Max didn't. Or I just got lucky!

That's from 2013 so not an MK3.5 module (find a 2015 to 2018 one to be sure). It might work, just no way to know!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club