Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How To: Focus MK3 SYNC 3 upgrade for Bluetooth Voice Control (BVC) cars from 2011, 2012 and 2013

JPW

8 minutes ago, JPW said:

12V (+) connects to FCIM (front fascia) pin 2 for the LED

0V (-) and C (common) connects to ground  (I tapped in to the 12v cigarette ground wire but any ground will do). 

NC connects to FCIM (front fascia) pin 6 for the lock/unlock function.

FYI the blue led is quite bright at night but no bad enough to distract you. Don't mount it straight in your view!

Thanks for this, btw do you think you could update your main post and include these extra's?

It doesn't allow me to edit the post as it is locked a few hours after it being posted so no chance after more than a year 😁

Okay so I have ordered all the parts.

So, I am looking at the APIM 54 PIN excel you made for me
I am assuming all those connectors can be used to splice into the APIM (OBD2 and FCDIM).

I was reading the part of where you cut the pin 4 and 5 on the ACM main, can I just tap them, or do they have to be cut off?

So far from my understanding and the looks of it, it looks like the only ones I’ll be cutting off is the ones from the FCDIM (to APIM), connecting from FCDIM (5 and 4) to pin 4 and 7 on the FCIM

Is there any other wires I’ll be needing to cut (other than the harness and some jumper wires?)

Should i dc the car battery or should i be fine? i'm assume all these wires max is 12v for the live ones?

We now need to 'program' the car in order for it to work correctly, as it still thinks you have the old bluetooth module and small screen installed. You'll need a laptop on Windows. In order to update the car settings we need to find a suitable 'donor' car. This means take a look on Autotrader or some other used car site and look for a Focus MK3 (2016-2018 year) with a similar same spec as your own car (like stop/start. manual transmission etc). Make a note of the registration/licence plate number and head over to the Ford Etis website at http://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleRegSelector.do

Well since i'm using an Edge 2014, would an Edge on 2016-2018 be suitable?

In the Central Configuration you should now see a load of options, filled in with your car's current configuration. Change ONLY the existing settings:

• 123 – Audio Aux Input = 01 (without)
  • 125 – DAB Radio System = 01 (without)
  • 154 – Module USB = 01 (without)
  • 157 – Bluetooth Handsfree = 01 (without)
  • 172 – Front Display = 09 (DM8 with nav)
  • 214 – ICP = 09

Would my settings be the same?

I am wanting DAB to be enabled and such.

Even if my aerial does not have DAB, i'll most likely be retrofitting my own aerial and get a shark one that has dab, am/fm and gps.

When you receive the sync 3 unit you showed me because it has the actual connectors in place, with a few inches of wires left in place, I would just join those wires as per the APIM table I shared.

For example, join APIM pin 1 to FCDIM pin 1, APIM pin 16 to OBD pin 3 etc.  Do that with all the APIM pins in the table from 1 to 54 (not all are used, just the ones in the table).

Plug your existing ACM Main (24 pin) connector in to the ACM untouched. Join the 6 wires (pin 8, 12, 13, 21, 25, 26) betwwen the ACM Accessory (26 pin) and the APIM connectors.

You don't need to touch the ACM 4 and 5 as per my original guide. Ignore the wiring tables in that guide and just do the ones in the amended table I shared yesterday.

Plug the blue GPS antenna in to the APIM.

On the ACM, plug in the white fakra for FM and black fakes for DAB.

Yes a 2016-2018 Edge would be fine, try to find one with the same features as yours (steering wheel controls, manual air con controls, start/stop etc).

Yes, those Focccus settings should be fine.

No need to unplug the battery unless you want to be extra safe. I didn't bother.

When you've plugged everything in and then it on, don't worry about errors and pop ups etc, these are expected and as you make changes in Focccus and Forscan etc these will disappear.

3 minutes ago, JPW said:

So yes, when you receive the sync 3 u it you showed me because it has the actual connectors in place, with a few inches of wires left in place, I would just join those wires as per the APIM table I shared.

For example, join APIM pin 1 to FCDIM pin 1, APIM pin 16 to OBD pin etc.  Do that with all the pins in the table from 1 to 54 (not all are used, just the ones in the table).

Plug your existing ACM Main (24 pin) connector in to the ACM untouched. Join the 6 wires (pin 8, 12, 13, 21, 25, 26) betwwen the ACM Accessory (26 pin) and the APIM connectors.

You don't need to touch the ACM 4 and 5 as per my original guide. Ignore the wiring tables in that and just do the ones in the table I shared yesterday.

Plug the blue GPS antenna in to the APIM.

On the ACM, plug in the white fakra for FM and black fakes for DAB.

Yes a 2016-2018 Edge would be fine, try to find one with the same features as yours (steering wheel controls, manual air con controls, start/stop etc).

Yes, those Focccus settings should be fine.

thanks for this, i'll take some pics and can use them in a post for the edge version if it works.

On 3/1/2021 at 7:10 PM, JPW said:

Pin 31 is not required for the 54-pin APIM connector

ok. instead after putting the sync 2, on the ford site where I registered my machine will always result in sync 1? (I mean by doing sync updates). And on the installed sync 2 will show my VIN number of the car or that of the car where the stereo was removed? thank you 

When using the Ford update site, you use the VIN from the donor car where the SYNC 3 unit came from,  not your own VIN. Even though the SYNC 3 unit will still show your own VIN in the settings, ignore that.

36 minuti fa, JPW ha detto:

Quando si utilizza il sito di aggiornamento Ford, si usa il VIN dall'auto donatrice da cui proviene l'unità SYNC 3,' non il proprio VIN. Anche se l'unità SYNC 3 mostrerà ancora il proprio VIN nelle impostazioni, ignorarlo.

ok. In the guide for sync 2 that you provided me, I saw that it also puts the agps behind the mirror like rain sensor ... why? my sync 1 already has the sat ... do I have to use my gps antenna cable or do I have to put the black one that shows him? 

The SYNC 1 and SYNC 3 systems use a GPS antenna plugged straight in to the back of the unit. But SYNC 2 doesn't GPS hardware built-in, so it requires an external module which is this GPS module that is located behind the plastic cover at the top of the windscreen.

If you upgraded from SYNC 1 to SYNC 3 you can retain your current GPS antenna, but with SYNC 2 you can't.

4 minuti fa, JPW ha detto:

I sistemi SYNC 1 e SYNC 3 utilizzano un'antenna GPS che si è inserita dritto nel retro dell'unità. Ma SYNC 2 non è l'hardware GPS integrato, quindi richiede un modulo esterno che è questo modulo GPS che si trova dietro la copertura plastica in cima al parabrezza.

Se hai aggiornato da SYNC 1 a SYNC 3 è possibile conservare l'antenna GPS corrente, ma con SYNC 2 non puoi.

so are you sure i don't already have that gps module inserted on the windshield? and for the cable? 

If your car was SYNC 1 then no, you will definitely not have it. It was only brought out when SYNC2 was installed in cars.

Un'ora fa, JPW ha detto:

Se la tua auto era SYNC 1 allora no, certainly you won't. It was only taken out when SYNC2 was installed in car.

Ok. Could you tell me which GPS module I need to take for my Kuga? Is the one in the guide for focus and not know if it's good for mine too? Thank you

Itooks like the GPS module on a Kuga is behind the instrument panel (Speedo)

See https://ford.7zap.com/en/car/55/no/0/1807/16515/72057/

Part number is CJ5T-19H464-CB

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-KUGA-MK2-GPS-POSITIONING-CONTROL-MODULE-CJ5T19H464CB-2012-2019-/174264767280

You'll need the wiring for this also...

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, JPW said:

Itù come il modulo GPS su un Kuga è dietro il pannello degli strumenti (Speedo)

Vedihttps://ford.7zap. com/en/car/55/no/0/1807/16515/72057/

Il numero di parte è CJ5T-19H464-CB

https://www. ebay. co. uk/itm/FORD-KUGA-MK2-GPS-POSITIONING-CONTROL-MODULE-CJ5T19H464CB-2012-2019-/174264767280

Ti servirà anche il cablaggio per questo...

do i have to put it behind the instrumentation? and to get there is difficult? what wiring do i need? thank you 

I'm not sure Im afraid I don't have a Kuga. It could go anywhere really, as long as it's getting the GPS signal.

Might be better posting any specific Kuga questions in the Kuga forum for help

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JPW said:

I'm not sure Im afraid I don't have a Kuga. It could go anywhere really, as long as it's getting the GPS signal.

Might be better posting any specific Kuga questions in the Kuga forum for help

I bought the gps module that you recommended and I saw that the 2 wires that must be put on pins 16 and 17 correspond with the indicated colors. Then I would like to know where the other 2 wires of the module should be connected? Then I would like to know the dab (the black plug), id the fm (pink plug), how and where should they be connected to the sync 2?Thanks for your help 

I've started my conversion, harness made up. Hopefully, weather and wife permitting I should get it fitted tomorrow. Would any of you guys know if it is possible to pick up a live feed , in the dashboard/sync area, to power a reverse camera. If possible I would like the camera to activate either when the vehicle is in reverse or something/somebody is too close to the  rear sensors.

I think this has been asked before. Luckily as was able to source radio fascia panel for my c max which has the lock button. Do I need  to change anything in the fascia connector or leave as is?

Is that the US fascia which has two connectors instead of one, or did some UK Kuga's have this as standard?

So far making some good progress on the prep of the harness.

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.png

Not wanting to take any risks so i'm like triple checking a continuity test on the pins and see if pin X on APIM is correct on the pin X on ACM Acc.

fabric tape and electrical tape, ensuring that they don't come loose.

9 hours ago, kevgals said:

Se qualcuno cerca un piombo APIM (attualmente indisponibile ad Amazon) sono disponibili quihttps://incartec. co. uk/product/Add-camera-to-OEM-Ford-Sync-2-8-inch-Sync-3-Camera-Input-Adapter-27-317Circa 46, incluso la consegna del giorno successivo.

this is essential if I switch from sync 1 to sync 2 and I have the original rear camera? or can I use another way? (I don't know what attack I will find of the original rear camera after disassembling sync 1) 

If you already have the reverse camera, when upgrading to SYNC2 you will need this because in SYNC 1 the rear view camera is a fakra connector, but on SYNC2/3 it is wired in to the APIM 54-pin connector. You will also need a fakra to RCA adaptor - 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adapter-Compatible-Mercedes-Comand-Blaupunkt/dp/B07RK3PHS1/

You plug your OEM camera fakra into this, then the yellow RCA male in to the RCA female on the SYNC2/3 harness kevgals posted.

1 hour ago, JPW said:

If you already have the reverse camera, when upgrading to SYNC2 you will need this because in SYNC 1 the rear view camera is a fakra connector, but on SYNC2/3 it is wired in to the APIM 54-pin connector. You will also need a fakra to RCA adaptor - 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adapter-Compatible-Mercedes-Comand-Blaupunkt/dp/B07RK3PHS1/

You plug your OEM camera fakra into this, then the yellow RCA male in to the RCA female on the SYNC2/3 harness kevgals posted.

ok i will take this yellow fakra to cra adapter. Since I have the cut 54 pin sync 2 cable that comes from the donor machine, is it possible to buy a yellow female rca cable to connect with the 2 wires directly into the 2 pins provided in the 54 pin plug? (I mean without buying all the adapter you linked me). 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club