Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Personalised number plate - opinions.

Why care what other people think? If you have seen one you like, get it!

I’ve had mine for 11 years now!

My boss had a good personalised number plate but he soon got rid of it because he said it was too easy for people to remember.

I think they are a silly idea but it's up to everyone to decide how they want to spend their money. 

My father in law has had one for years (probably more then 30) which is 4 numbers followed by 2 letters which are his initials, it has probably been a good investment financially. Even taking into account what he has to pay to transfer it each time he has changed cars.

Some are a bit more stupid. Someone I knew had GBH 80Y which he did not buy, it was just on the car, someone bought it off him as it says GBH BOY. One I often see on my commute is BLO 2 JAW  (laid out that way - which it shoudn't be).

Someone I know has P9GES (their surname is page so I suppose it is like page's). What a waste of money in my view.

The ones where you have to use a bit of imagination or ignore wrong letters for it to spell a name or word are a bit silly. 

I have standard black fiesta with normal plates. I don't want anything on my car that draws attention or might be more recognisable to people. I just want to travel around steathily and unnoticed

• Like 2

I have a private plate, I've had it for 15yrs. It's not cool to anyone but me. Every part of it means something, but only to me and my family. It's not a play on words and it's spaced legally.

The other good thing about a private plate is that if you have to give vehicle details to employers or numberplate recognition systems then you never have to update it lol.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

One of the MOT stations near here has a courtesy car with an illegally spaced private plate.  It's something like 'AT 52 MOT'...  Very clever, but can you imagine getting pulled for illegal plates while your own car is passing MOT! :laugh: 

There used to be one on a Range Rover in the posh end of town with WWW. - only time I've ever seen a dot on a plate!  Thought it was an odd screwcap placement but on closer look it was actually a full stop on the plate itself lol.  Possibly owned by a big internet person?  I don't see how that can have been in any way legal though, haven't seen it for a while so it's probably been removed now.

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, isetta said:

I have standard black fiesta with normal plates. I don't want anything on my car that draws attention or might be more recognisable to people. I just want to travel around steathily and unnoticed

What is it you do for work? 

"If I told you that, I'd have to kill you..." :ninja: 

I wouldn’t mind getting one for my pickup, just to semi hide it’s age really...

However in my line of work, clients tend to see a private plate and form a perception that you’ve got too much money. 

Just change your name to match your number plate lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, gillyallan said:

Just change your name to match your number plate lol

It's much cheaper too, £19 to change your name, £250 for a plate from the DVLA

• Like 4

I quite like plates that match the car, eg... ***735i on a BMW, or 205GTi on a, well guess! However, having your name emblazoned on your plate to me just screams, 't*sser', sorry, but I know that's a personal opinion, and millions obviously disagree. Having said that, I have had the same number now for 35 years now LOL

It is neither a car related one, nor my name, but a nice simple 3 symmetrical digit number which I like, and is now associated with me, as only last year an old acquaintance approached me as he recognised my number though the car was not the same as when he knew me!

31 minutes ago, Mark-UK said:

It's much cheaper too, £19 to change your name, £250 for a plate from the DVLA

Ok great. You can call me CX RDY from now on. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, The Finance Guy said:

Ok great. You can call me CX RDY from now on. 

Few options there!  Change your surname to Card/Cord/Cordy etc...  Or change your whole name to fit initials...Richard David Young maybe...  :wink: 

in the early 80s a relative of mine would buy cheap 2nd cars which did not have a year letter on the reg number and sell the registration for more then he paid for the car. This was at a time when a lot of people did not know the old registrations were worth money and were advertising 20 year old cars for next to nothing (as they were often rusty old heaps).

Of course if the letters were common initials it helped the price. I recall he got one with the reg no XLB followed by three numbers. Who'd have thought anyone would have the initials XLB but it turned out I knew someone with those initials (first name Xanthe).

The internet makes it harder to make money on some things as it's too easy for everyone to check the potential value of things. If the internet had been around then I don't suppose the opportunity for profit from this would have been there.

• Like 1

I think, if you have to ask, then it's not for you. If you want one, get one for you. Don't get one because other people may or may not think it's cool. Most people I know really don't think they're cool at all. But, each to their own. 

• Like 1

I got my plate on a motorcycle I bought new in 1997, it matches my initials and date of birth kept it ever since, never cost my a penny just the odd transfer fee

• Like 1

I quite like plates that match the car, eg... ***735i on a BMW, or 205GTi on a, well guess! However, having your name emblazoned on your plate to me just screams, 't*sser', sorry, but I know that's a personal opinion, and millions obviously disagree. Having said that, I have had the same number now for 35 years now LOL
It is neither a car related one, nor my name, but a nice simple 3 symmetrical digit number which I like, and is now associated with me, as only last year an old acquaintance approached me as he recognised my number though the car was not the same as when he knew me!
I have to agree with you on the name front, I would never get a plate with 'jon' on it for example. I'm on the other side of the fence when it comes to a plate matching a car. The amount of times I've seen things like X3 ZZZ on a focus because the owner used to drive an X3 etc. I would prefer to see a name than a car related one, but I still don't like names lol.

Mine is the same prefix as my parents plate and then my initials, so the whole plate is personal to me. Although I will admit I do cringe a little when I visit them and park next to it, thankfully it happens once a year lol.
@pragmatix I've always wondered if you can do that. Say for instance I bought a car with the plate SH12 ABC which had been assigned to it by the DVLA, how would I go about keeping it? Do you have to buy it from the DVLA first?

I think the general consensus is that Private plates really are marmite.

Had one on the previous Focus. 

It was both our initials with the year of the car and tbh never thought much about it until we decided to move house and went to view a property about 10 miles away from where we was living. During the viewing of the house one of the parents and eldest daughter (14 ish) both commented on the plate and said that they knew where we was from as they saw the car on their daily commute (We didn't buy the house) . Luckily the new car has both our initials separated with an X. Part of the reason we bought it. 

33 minutes ago, Jonro2009 said:

I have to agree with you on the name front, I would never get a plate with 'jon' on it for example. I'm on the other side of the fence when it comes to a plate matching a car. The amount of times I've seen things like X3 ZZZ on a focus because the owner used to drive an X3 etc. I would prefer to see a name than a car related one, but I still don't like names lol.

Mine is the same prefix as my parents plate and then my initials, so the whole plate is personal to me. Although I will admit I do cringe a little when I visit them and park next to it, thankfully it happens once a year lol.
@pragmatix I've always wondered if you can do that. Say for instance I bought a car with the plate SH12 ABC which had been assigned to it by the DVLA, how would I go about keeping it? Do you have to buy it from the DVLA first?

I think the general consensus is that Private plates really are marmite.

No you just apply to transfer it or keep it on retention £80 I think now

• Like 1

I think it’s stayed at £80 for over 25 years .

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, isetta said:

I think it’s stayed at £80 for over 25 years .

As someone who has transferred the same number 9 times, I can confirm, £80 for decades now. Sshhh.... the government is bound to notice soon this little buried bargain! 😀

• Like 2

I've never seen the point of personalised plates, I think they're tacky but each to their own.

I bought a new motorcycle 12 years ago (2008, scary it was that long ago lol) and I had BU08 and a choice of 3 options for the last three letters. It just so happened that one of the options the dealer had was a short for my surname so for two years I had a free personalised plate 😂

The only slightly embarrassing bit was the 'BU08' could be read as Boob followed by my surname.  The moral of the story is if you're going to get a personalised plate do it properly not a botch cheapskate version like mine 😄  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think it depends on the plate.  The missus has one which is her initials which is personal, but there's one I've seen which is ye51max, spaced to yes I Max, which just makes me laugh.

I quite fancy C4YUG which again is just personal to me and not trying to make a statement.

They do at least stop idiots judging your car solely by it's age.

• Like 2

Thought about it and decided to look what was available that I might like. Decided to have one to match the coming car: ST Line X so searched for:

ST20 LNX

Gone. LOL

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club