Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford S-Max (2016) Battery charging

YETIFORD

Hi everyone. 

I wonder if someone can help. I want to trickle charge the battery of our 2016 S-Max and it looks like there is no way to access the battery terminals as the gap is simply to narrow for my hand to reach the negative terminal with the crocodile charger clip?

Is there a way to charge the battery in situ?

Any pointers gratefully received!

2 hours ago, YETIFORD said:

Hi everyone. 

I wonder if someone can help. I want to trickle charge the battery of our 2016 S-Max and it looks like there is no way to access the battery terminals as the gap is simply to narrow for my hand to reach the negative terminal with the crocodile charger clip?

Is there a way to charge the battery in situ?

Any pointers gratefully received!

You should be able to find a earthing stud or bolt in the vicinity, it’s usually located nearby incase you need to jumpstart the vehicle. However as long as you can pick up a good Earth off something nearby and you can get a good connection on the live terminal, your battery will charge ok

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Robhonda said:

You should be able to find a earthing stud or bolt in the vicinity, it’s usually located nearby incase you need to jumpstart the vehicle. However as long as you can pick up a good Earth off something nearby and you can get a good connection on the live terminal, your battery will charge ok

Been doing a lot of battery charging this last year and I have the same problem with my Mrs's Seat Mii. Can reach the positive ok but need to put the negative on a suitably earthed point. It works fine.

2 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Been doing a lot of battery charging this last year and I have the same problem with my Mrs's Seat Mii. Can reach the positive ok but need to put the negative on a suitably earthed point. It works fine.

👍

@Robhonda & @Eric Bloodaxe

Many thanks for the pointer! Very much appreciated indeed. I wasn't aware that you could use an alternative earthing point other than the battery terminals - wasn't sure if the computer systems would be effected. 

So, I assume the earthing stud will be marked, or if not would a bolt attached somewhere to the engine bay bodywork be ok if I can't find the an obvious earthing stud?

4 minutes ago, YETIFORD said:

@Robhonda & @Eric Bloodaxe

Many thanks for the pointer! Very much appreciated indeed. I wasn't aware that you could use an alternative earthing point other than the battery terminals - wasn't sure if the computer systems would be effected. 

So, I assume the earthing stud will be marked, or if not would a bolt attached somewhere to the engine bay bodywork be ok if I can't find the an obvious earthing stud?

There are a number of earthing points throughout any vehicle it’s best to keep as near to the battery as you can when jump starting or putting a charge onto the battery. The only thing you have to be aware of are power surges or spikes in energy that could damage printed circuit boards . For instance when jump starting a vehicle , if the vehicle jump starting the vehicle with the flat battery, when that vehicle starts and the alternator kicks in there could be a power surge throughout both vehicles and damage circuits boards/ computers.

Again, that’s brilliant - many thanks again. I won’t be able to go any further until next weekend due to work commitments, but the car isn’t going anywhere at the moment (hence the need for battery charging), so I’ll have another go on Saturday and the report back.

51 minutes ago, YETIFORD said:

Again, that’s brilliant - many thanks again. I won’t be able to go any further until next weekend due to work commitments, but the car isn’t going anywhere at the moment (hence the need for battery charging), so I’ll have another go on Saturday and the report back.

👍

• 11 months later...

Lads, 

With the S max you have a negative connection point up on the right hand side ABOVE the battery

for some reason the car won’t jump start unless you are connected to this negative bolt. Another earthing point doesn’t work. 

it’s hard enough to find, looks like a small T bolt poking out. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club