Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.6 tdci mk2 - Engine Malfunction P0069

MikeyBoy

Good morning all forum users.

I have owned my 2009 Ford Focus 1.6 tdci for about 3 years without any major issues. Approx 6 weeks ago the following occurred:

Driving normally on a standard day - Engine Malfunction came up on the dash.

I have a code reader which showed (P0069 - Manifold Absolute Pressure/Barometric Pressure Correlation). I cleared the code, took it for a drive and same thing occurred.

Read on-line that the issue could be with:

1)Manifold Pressure Sensor or associated wiring.

2)Barometric Pressure Sensor or associated wiring.

3)Powertrain Control Module

4) Blocked air filter

So, easiest thing first. I checked my air filter and it seriously needed changing. Bought, changed & same fault.

Anyway, decided to check the codes again and now shows an additional code (P0234 - Turbocharger/Supercharger Overboost Condition).

Also, because I have being driving my car for the last 6 weeks I have noticed the following:

1)If I don't let the car idle too much after first starting, I can drive for hours without the engine malfunction show up. It only rears its head when I stop and idle for approx 5 seconds.

This bit of information has thrown me, because if the sensors, sensors wiring or powertrain were knackered surely the fault would still show outside of idle.

Also, can't seem to find any reference to the location of the Barametric Pressure Sensor.

Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions, theories or repair examples I would very much appreciate it.

Thanks for reading.

Mike

Hi,

There isn't a BARO sensor on these.  They use the MAF readings to determine airflow which is compared with the MAP sensor readings from after the turbo.  The MAP sensor is on the thick boost pipe just to the left of the engine as you look at it.  MAP would be the first one I'd check/change given your symptoms. 

It is also possible that the turbo wastegate/vanes aren't opening when they should.  Can I ask if it is a 90 or 110 model?  And does the fault occur immediately on startup or only after prolonged load on the engine?

Firstly, thank-you for responding, your help is much appreciated.

The model is a 110.

I just did a test now and the fault doesn't occur immediately on startup. Started engine from cold and left it idling (No revving whatsoever), the fault showed after approx 3mins.

Ill give the MAP sensor and wiring a visual, see if there's anything obvious.

Ok, thanks for that.  The 110 model has a VNT turbo so sticky vanes or faulty vane actuator are both possible causes for the overboost fault.

However, I would only expect an overboost fault to occur under load, usually on a motorway slip road or similar.  So I'd still be inclined to go with a simple sensor fault for now.

P0 codes are generic ones, hence it being not very descriptive. As Tom said there is no separate BARO sensor on these engines, but the MAP sensor does read atmospheric pressure. 

It would be a good idea to get yourself set up with FORScan, which allows you to monitor live sensor data with the engine running and car moving.

The MAP Sensor should read 100kPA (1 BAR) at idle, and stay that way even after 3 minutes. Under extreme load with the car moving it can briefly peak at somewhere near 240kPa.

The MAF Sensor should read around 6 g/s at Idle and also be stable until the engine speeds up.

From memory I think you can only monitor how much the Turbo Vanes have been commanded to move on that engine and it is the same with the EGR.

Amongst other things the fault could be caused by a faulty MAP, its wiring, the Turbo, faulty Throttle Valve or EGR fault, the MAF, an obstruction or leak or the PCM, but without being able to monitor the sensors it would just be a lucky guess if it was fixed on the DTC's alone. 

• 2 months later...

Any luck with this? I'm also experiencing the same issues with p0069 and p1103. 

• 1 month later...

Thanks Tizer for the feedback.

I have acquired Forscan and run a diagnostic on my car with the following codes:

P0490 - EGR Control Circuit High 

P1412 - EGR Valve Frozen

P042F - EGR Control Stuck Closed

P0069 - MAP Barometric Pressure Correlation

P0234 - Turbo/Super charger Overboost Condition

Based on the above I am thinking I may have 2 separate faults. I purchased a new EGR Valve (Only £30) today and if it arrives I will fit it this weekend see if that makes any difference.

Mike

Hi All,

Update on my progress in resolving this issue:

Fitted new EGR valve today, reset the codes and the EGR codes haven't returned yet so I will take it for a spin later on see what happens. The Forscan oscilloscope suggests the EGR valve is opening and closing which is positive.

Only code now showing is P0069 (MAP Barometric Pressure Correlation). I took an oscilloscope reading of Revs, MAF g/s & MAP kpa (See attached). It suggests to me based on 'Tiger's' comment above that the MAP sensor's output is incorrect. It is continually reading 247kpa with no change in reading throughout the rev range.

I have given the MAP sensor wiring and connector a visual inspection with no faults found. I will organise a new sensor today and feedback after fitment.

MAF MAP Readings.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

MAP sensor arrived this afternoon, fitted it and cleared the codes. Viewed the same oscilloscope readings as above with a distinct difference now showing on the MAP kpa.

Attached oscilloscope readings for comparison so anyone else having this issue can see what to expect.

This issue is now fully resolved.

Thanks all for your help

Mike

MAF MAP Readings 2.JPG

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club