Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New tyres what to get?

cjay1

1 hour ago, Bobr said:

That's what matters to me Tom.   I've dealt with a few accidents caused by tyres not managing in the wet and I don't want to be involved in one.   Mind you, there were a few idiotic drivers involved who though that they could drive just as fast in the wet.

Me too, I won't go for anything with less than an A rating for wet grip.  I'm amazed it's legal to sell tyres as low as F & G for road use in the UK.

I was doing too many miles to justify the Rainsport wear rates at the time though.  I found Dunlop Sport BluResponse had similar wet grip but better wear rates, and stiffer sidewalls for better dry grip as well.  Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance was slightly worse in the wet & dry than the Dunlops, but better wear rates than either of those two.  There is no perfect tyre unfortunately.

Over the last few years I've barely done any miles though, bought the Golf on 2 budgets that I'd never heard of, and two Nexens, all brand new (wheels had just been refurbed), and they aren't that bad in the wet surprisingly.  Better than the T1-Rs.  And the P6000s which were standard fit around the turn of the millennium.

One limitation of the wet breaking grip rating on the tyre label is it is based on a locked wheel. Peak grip is achieved before the wheel locks so the rating is best used if your car doesn't have abs. Luckily the tyre test reviews generally test with abs active so give more true to life results. And better comparing tyres for vehicle's with abs. There is also new Vs worn. the label is for new tyre performance only wet breaking performance can drop drastically as the tyre Wares. the contipreimumcontact 2 i have fitted now is b rated when new I very much doubt it's b rated now several years old and at around 2.5mm tread. Which is why I'm swapping out now before the weather turns dispute the fact it's still road legal.

The tyre ratings offer a good comparison as a guide, but there's no replacement for a long term test on your own car.  As with so many expensive things, it's not something you can 'try before you buy' unfortunately. :unsure: 

At least these days there are a number of good sources of tyre tests- seems to me they're the only way to get solid comparison info on tyres, tho' granted there are limitations (not being able to test every size etc). Examples - ADAC (German, but Google translate...), Auto Express, the Tyre Reviews youtube channel and website. 

Cjay, out of interest how often does it snow round your way? I can't help wondering if you might not be better off on a good summer tyre (eg Michelin Primacy 4, Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance 2) and adding snow socks when needed, as someone else already suggested I think? 

Since Jan 1st its snowed on 13 days the last was April 11. The thing with socks and chains they need fitting and unfitting I don't want to be doing this just after 5am before setting off for work. Summer tyres don't work as well in the cold esp the cold and wet. The cross climate 2 will perform better across the seasons and conditions than a summer tyre without having to add socks and chains or swapping between summer and winter.

Tyres fitted today as tyre centre had some spare slots. So first impressions are good road noise is low and handles well looking forward to testing on wet and snow the aggressive tread pattern looks like it will do well on these conditions.

New tread is 7mm. they don't have a built on rim protector, not an issue unless you like hitting kerbs.

Tyres were at 35 psi all round form the tyre centre I've set them to the Ford recommend pressure. Hope they didn't know something I don't.

• 3 weeks later...

I’m in two minds, my Primacy 4 at 10k mikes still have 4-5mm front and 5-6mm rear, but I’m considering going all season. Last year where I love, NE Lancashire, in amongst the Pennines/Trough of Bowland there were numerous days of snow between here and work, I leave at 5am ish.

bit can’t help feel it is a massive waste of £ 

plus the Crossclimate 2 are massively expensive, £150 per tyres for 205 45 17. 

On 9/10/2021 at 7:12 PM, cjay1 said:

Tyres fitted today as tyre centre had some spare slots. So first impressions are good road noise is low and handles well looking forward to testing on wet and snow the aggressive tread pattern looks like it will do well on these conditions.

New tread is 7mm. they don't have a built on rim protector, not an issue unless you like hitting kerbs.

Tyres were at 35 psi all round form the tyre centre I've set them to the Ford recommend pressure. Hope they didn't know something I don't.

It’s more a case that they don’t know something you do and can’t be bothered to ask, or try and look for the correct information.

Best buying online as there a bit cheaper at £116 a corner just need to get them fitted at around £15 a corner. 

As you still have good tread you could keep them and use during the summer or sell them on eBay and make some cash. 

I've been impressed with mine so far but not tested in winter conditions yet.

7 hours ago, cjay1 said:

Best buying online as there a bit cheaper at £116 a corner just need to get them fitted at around £15 a corner. 

As you still have good tread you could keep them and use during the summer or sell them on eBay and make some cash. 

I've been impressed with mine so far but not tested in winter conditions yet.

Well I went and booked them for next week. The local independent was the cheapest I could find, Cam skill were showing my size ate £115 ish each, but then they disappeared from the website. I'll keep the summers and try and sell them, or see if a friend wants them.

Having spent some winters in Scandinavia, I need to explain to you all that winter tyres are a con being foisted upon you by tyre companies feeding on the paranoid and gullible. Winter wheels were sometimes used to save valuable alloys  from salt but tyres remained the same. Having driven many, many thousand miles on snow and ice, I have never needed them. Normal tyres with a good tread depth will always be good enough. High gears, good anticipation and gentle driver inputs will get you there - and don't be afraid to turn the traction control off. In other words, drive the car properly.

I lived in Scandinavia for many years.

Firstly, winter tyres are obligatory from October 15 in Finland for example. So it is not a question of what you need but rather what is needed of your for safe driving.

Secondly, you won't survive in winter without winter tyres (and with studs) for instance in Finland.

• Like 1

They may be now but it was not the case in the mid eighties in Norway, Sweden and Denmark..

• 1 month later...

So made my first journey in the snow on the CC2 and I'm really impressed. Stranded cars littered the route but the fiesta confidently climbed every hill. Hill starts were also no problem. Descending hills was also very good. 

• Like 2

On 11/27/2021 at 3:52 PM, cjay1 said:

So made my first journey in the snow on the CC2 and I'm really impressed. Stranded cars littered the route but the fiesta confidently climbed every hill. Hill starts were also no problem. Descending hills was also very good. 

Same, been a weird weekend. Got a puncture in my CC2 on Friday, thankfully slap bang in the middle so repairable, £12 at local Ford garage.

Handled the snow really well, was good this morning on the frozen stuff as well. Really impressed.

With the temperatures drop of the last days I’m thinking of purchasing the Michelin CC2 to replace the Primacy 4 that came with the car. Done 8k miles so far, not sure I want to give them away to the local garage.. btw there’s a Cyber Monday deal on black circles for 15% off I think I’m going for. Are garages happy to mount tyres bought through black circles? I’m not English and I’m used to warmer temperatures.. so all seasons or winter+summer tyres are the way to go in the uk right?

12 hours ago, FrankR said:

I’m not English and I’m used to warmer temperatures.. so all seasons or winter+summer tyres are the way to go in the uk right?

The vast majority of people in the UK just use summer tyres all year round.  There is a reasonable percentage of people swapping between summer & winter tyres on car forums but not within the general public.  All season tyres do seem to be getting more popular in the real world but again not a high percentage overall.

• Like 1

I'd say about 80-90% Run summer all year then blame the council when it snows and that struggle to reach there destination.

This is the first tyre I've had that isn't summer and to be honest I don't think I will go back to summer now. 

• Like 1

I would imagine it depends on where in the country you live, Generally speaking the more north you go the colder it gets, height makes a differences too. Remember there are places in Scotland (Cairngorms) that have snow all year round!

In saying that, there are plenty of tyre tests that prove all-season and Winter tyres cope better when it gets cold compared to summer tyres. 

• Like 1

Like others here, I chose a tire with a specific 'A' rating in the wet, as it rains alot here in NI LOL Just recently fitted the new Toyo Proxes Comfort, and the ride home tonight in bucketing rain with wipers on double speed was quite comfortable. Of course, it could be because being so new, right now they have 8mm tread 🤣

toyo.thumb.png.fcb262a5903758b6ec8c972b01dbb469.png

• Haha 1

The "a" rated wet breaking refers to a locked wheel. If your vehicle has abs some b rated tyres could provide shorter stopping distances. Michelin is one company that sacrifices the "a" rating on some of there tyres for real life shorter stopping distances. It's not a bad matrix to purchase tyres on but best to use in conjunction with tyre comparison reviews.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, cjay1 said:

If your vehicle has abs

All cars in the UK built after 2004 have ABS, it's mandatory.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, unofix said:

All cars in the UK built after 2004 have ABS, it's mandatory.

Not “All” have.

3 minutes ago, MarksST said:

Not “All” have.

interesting. Which cars in the UK after 2004 don't have ABS and do you know why ?

As far as I understood the situation it became mandatory for all cars sold in the UK from 2004 onward to have ABS. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club