Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine malfunction on dashboard

ged600

2013 Mondeo 2.0 diesel.

Come to the car this morning engine malfunction on dashboard ignition on but won’t let it turn over. Fine last time I used it midweek!

Im a member of recovery so they’ve been out their diagnosis is? They plugged into diagnostics and the machine won’t communicate with ECU 

Anyone else had this problem and what was the outcome please.

First disconnect negative lead from battery and leave it off for ten minutes.

Reconnect battery and measure voltage with a multimeter. Is it more than 12.6V ?

Use FORScan software to read DTC codes, not a generic multi-purpose code reader.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, unofix said:

First disconnect negative lead from battery and leave it off for ten minutes.

Reconnect battery and measure voltage with a multimeter. Is it more than 12.6V ?

Use FORScan software to read DTC codes, not a generic multi-purpose code reader.

Thanks,  the recovery guy disconnected the positive lead left for 5 minutes reconnected 12.2 on voltmeter. He said that’s fine? He tried two different code readers, neither connected to ecu? What’s forscan software?

12.2 Volt is NOT fine !!

The State Of Charge is extremely low, virtually at critical level. Charge the battery for at least 12 hours or longer if possible. You need a standing voltage of ideally 12.65V or more.

Make sure to connect the battery charger with the positive lead directly to the battery terminal and the negative lead to the main chassis earth point NOT the battery negative.

FORScan software will read Ford specific DTC's it is very close to the same software as used by the local Ford dealers.

FORScan: https://forscan.org/download.html

Connection lead - vLinker FS: https://www.bmdiag.co.uk/forscan-diagnostic-cable-for-ford-vgate-vlinker-fs

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, unofix said:

12.2 Volt is NOT fine !!

As @unofix says. 

I once used to naively assume that a 12 volt charge on a 12 volt battery was fine - this chart may be helpful:

download-2.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 6/26/2022 at 6:53 PM, unofix said:

12.2 Volt is NOT fine !!

The State Of Charge is extremely low, virtually at critical level. Charge the battery for at least 12 hours or longer if possible. You need a standing voltage of ideally 12.65V or more.

Make sure to connect the battery charger with the positive lead directly to the battery terminal and the negative lead to the main chassis earth point NOT the battery negative.

FORScan software will read Ford specific DTC's it is very close to the same software as used by the local Ford dealers.

FORScan: https://forscan.org/download.html

Connection lead - vLinker FS: https://www.bmdiag.co.uk/forscan-diagnostic-cable-for-ford-vgate-vlinker-fs

Thanks for the help 

I’ve had the car recovered to my local mechanic see what he puts it down to?

On 6/29/2022 at 8:39 PM, ged600 said:

Thanks for the help 

I’ve had the car recovered to my local mechanic see what he puts it down to?

Well well the mechanic went to the car today after 3 days in the waiting area. The engine malfunction light gone car started first time. He disconnected battery, checked the ecu no fault codes? He states this has happened before with fords over his years as a mechanic. I’ll drive it as normal for now but may get rid if it starts with more faults or the same one!

I note your location,where abouts in Lancashire i'm Blackburn and have Forscan and the leads, if you need.

Its of the age to be solder or cluster issue can throw up a multitude of faults then disapear.

• 2 weeks later...

Came to the car yesterday and the same warning light was on again ENGINE MALFUNCTION  but this time it started and was fine. A few warning light on dashboard, air bag, skid risk etc. Took it up the garage same fault no communication with ECU. Reset all fault codes. He says to now take it to main dealership £££££.

Any other options or suggestions?

• Sad 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club