Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Any issues with the 1.0 mk4 engine?

TomWood

So i am looking at upgrading to a 2018 mk4 and due to needing to be automatic the main two options i have is a 1.0 and 1.5tdi adblue engine, heard the horrors about the Ford 1.0 in the older models like Fiesta and mk3 Focus but is this fixed with the mk4? reason i ask is because for the past few months i have been going to a few different dealerships and it seems nobody wants the 1.0 engines, few questions for people who do own a mk4 1.0 what are they like? seeing as the Focus is quite heavy? also what sort of MPG can i expect from the 1.0 with a auto gearbox? a few people have told me to avoid the 1.0 and get the 1.5tdi engine but seeing as i mostly do short trips the 1.0 would be probably more ideal however i do long trips as well so enough not to clog a DPF so i can go with either to be honest but i don't want to pay less money and buy the 1.0 just for issues to come up.

• Is the 1.0 engine in the MK4 Focus problematic like the mk3 1.0? 
  • What sort of MPG does the 1.0 get? 
  • Does the 1.0 struggle in such a big car? 
  • Why does it seem nobody wants the 1.0 mk4?
  • Why is the 1.0 so much cheaper? for example i am looking at a beautiful 2019 1.0 automatic for £12,698 with 40k miles when you cant even get a diesel with same miles for less than £15,000, just by looking around dealerships and AutoTrader the Focuses with the 1.0 engine is significantly cheaper.

Recent topic on similar point, may be of help:

My neighbour has the 1.0 EcoBoost as it feels okay as a passenger, performance wise. Having had a peak at their guessometer it seemed to think high 40’s for mpg. 

Same wet belt engine as the Fiesta Mk8 I think, so make sure you service regularly (we do yearly on our Mk8 just to be sure) but you could decide that the risk isn’t worth it, and pick an alternate engine. 

I have the Focus with the 1.5EB 182ps, it’s rapid, if you can find one of those!

16 minutes ago, Buxty said:

Same wet belt engine as the Fiesta Mk8 I think

Mk 4 Focus 1.0 has had the revised (chain cam drive) engine from launch, unlike the Mk 8 Fiesta which kept the wet belt until the mhev was phased in from early 2020. 

• Like 1

I'm sure the OP has asked virtually the same question in a few different threads now.  Realistically, there's not going to be a satisfactory answer...just have to take the plunge and deal with the consequences.

Mk4 1.0 EB has chain driven cam.  BUT still has wet belt for oil pump, and on the automatic, balance shaft as well.  So far we've seen no oil pump belt failures on here, but apparently there have been some on other forums...  Worth noting the balance shaft on the auto will put more strain on the belt compared to a manual without.

1.0 Auto MPG is likely to be around 40mpg for mostly short journeys.  They're not as efficient as people expect.

Not driven an auto myself so don't know how the 'box copes.  Have a had a 1.0 125 manual which struggles a bit in the Focus.  I've now got a 155ps MHEV manual which doesn't struggle.  BHP spec does make a big difference on the 1.0 IMO.  Engine size isn't the main factor any more.

No-one wants the 1.0 Mk4 because a) they've heard the 1.0 was crap on the Mk3 and don't know it's been overhauled or b) they're not up to date with engine tech and can't understand that a turbocharged 1.0 is roughly equivalent to a non-turbo 1.6 or c) they need bragging rights at the pub, which is full of people that will laugh hysterically at the idea of a 1.0 engine in a mid sized car.

1.0 Mk4s are cheap because there are loads of them.  Buyers can afford to be choosy which means dealers have to keep dropping prices to keep themselves competitive in a very crowded market.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Realistically, there's not going to be a satisfactory answer...just have to take the plunge and deal with the consequences.

... and that is the fact of the matter. You pay your money and take the chance !

Personally I'd rather get the bus than have a an Ecoboost 1.0, but each to their own. The revised all singing and dancing 1.0 in the Focus Mk4 hasn't really been around long enough to say if the reliability issues have been fixed. If you buy a 2018 model you will be able to keep us updated over the next year or two on how it does.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, unofix said:

Personally I'd rather get the bus than have a an Ecoboost 1.0, but each to their own.

Phew! That's quite mild! I was expecting "I'd rather eat my shorts/have an appendectomy without anaesthetic'" or similar!😀

But it is very difficult to form a view of a car without actually owning and using it. Test drives are ok, but unless you can get an extended drive (24 hours plus), zooming around the ring road or whatever isn't much help if you do most of your driving in hilly areas with loads of bends.

And other folks opinions only go so far, as we all like different things and drive in different ways. I've mentioned before, one of my mates had a 1.0 Mk 3 Focus for 6 years, loved it, had no problems whatsoever, never heard about degas hoses or wet belts and was generally a very happy bunny. Perhaps sometimes ignorance is bliss. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just to add to what's already been posted. The Mk4 diesel won't struggle with short trips whatsoever.

A simple steady drive around town is sufficient.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I have owned the 1.0 125 for 3.5 years now.

My current MPG shows at 44.8 and that's mainly B road driving so you will most probably get much better.  I have never understood why my wife gets 53 MPG in her Skoda but then it's a VAG so they are most likely not quite telling the truth.

I haven't had any major issues with mine although the one thing that scares the hell out of me every year is that every year (from early November) it will start flashing a warning sound that my Exhaust filter is at its limit.  It started again a week ago.  I just don't do motorway mileage which is why I sold a diesel car as I was worried about the DPF becoming clogged and therefore an expensive repair bill.  At no point during the sale did the sales guy tell me that petrol engines now have a filter too.  I purchased the 1.0 as I wanted something that would give great fuel economy so making unnecessary journeys on a motorway isn't what I had in mind !

I would say if you regularly carry family around (2 to 3 other people) or have your boot full of stuff then the 1.0 is not for you.  I had to go right down into 2nd on a decent in Wales lately.  At one stage I didn't think I was going to make it.  However when its just me in the car its great with plenty of acceleration.

27 minutes ago, Lanny said:

I have never understood why my wife gets 53 MPG in her Skoda but then it's a VAG so they are most likely not quite telling the truth.

That depends on what Skoda it is, surely. My Mrs has a Seat Mii (aka Skoda Citigo and VW Up!) and regularly gets 53+. I know it's true because I usually end up filling it up (she "forgets") and I always check the mpg "brim to brim" out of habit. 

I've usually found my VAG cars got pretty close to claimed mpg.

14 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

That depends on what Skoda it is, surely. My Mrs has a Seat Mii (aka Skoda Citigo and VW Up!) and regularly gets 53+. I know it's true because I usually end up filling it up (she "forgets") and I always check the mpg "brim to brim" out of habit. 

I've usually found my VAG cars got pretty close to claimed mpg.

Its a Scala 1.5  Quite a bit more poke about it than my 1.0 Focus and still gets better MPG.

• Like 1

Pal of mine has just bought a VW T-Roc with the same engine (manual) and he reports the mpg is already better than the 1.0 Focus 3 he had a few years back.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club