Do Not Sell My Personal Information

focus mk4 camera install

Rickychips

Thanks. But that's connection to APIM and for me it works ok. The problem is BCM that doesn't fit in (for the LIN connection; I have installed OEM camera). You think that the pins are equal?

13 hours ago, morfeus said:

You think that the pins are equal?

Somehow yes. You can try to use a pin from any popular 0.1 inch raster computer connectors. Look for old CD-ROM connector: image.png.0642008f347043d55759d96335832136.png

It is better to put the pin when the connector is in place.

• 3 months later...

Firstly thanks for the great guide.
I’ve recently retrofitted the OEM camera and wired as per the diagram Piotr shared, coded the APIM for rear camera, yet I don’t get the lines (not dynamic nor static). I’ve tried a few iterations including wiring only the camera into BCM pin 59 and splicing it into the existing wire in 59, as well as with/without coding the BCM for rear camera and checked the APIM coding 7D0-01-01 *A**

Now I’m a bit stumped, every guide I’ve read says this should be working.

car is mk4 focus titanium with PDC front and rear, lane keeping assist, collision warning etc.  

Also to add to your guide, you can order the pins from mouser or similar with the following part numbers: 

APIM: 1924955-1

BCM and camera connector: 2035334-3 or -6

They're all made by TE 

BdyCM (BCM) coding:

726-17-01 xxx8 xx

or just find "Reverse Camera" in explicit configuration. 

One important thing, following the configuration it is needed to execute BdyCM procedure "Test Module Communication"  (or something sounds similar). This step is critical.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/17/2023 at 11:18 AM, piotrmod said:

BdyCM (BCM) coding:

726-17-01 xxx8 xx

or just find "Reverse Camera" in explicit configuration. 

One important thing, following the configuration it is needed to execute BdyCM procedure "Test Module Communication"  (or something sounds similar). This step is critical.

Thanks for the reply, looks like it’s called “local interconnect network new module calibration” which states it’s for new modules such as the camera, but I keep getting the error message at 8% “test aborted, perform self test to identify any DTCs” which only brings up a code for battery backed sounder. 

edit: it never worked but I did a BCM reset and the camera is now working 🤷🏻‍♂️

Edited by Andyrhino
New information

• 2 months later...

Hi @piotrmod or anyone knowledgeable in this area,

I'm relatively new to retrofitting, and I'm currently in the process of adding an OEM camera to my MK4 Ford Focus.

I'm hoping to purchase the camera model jx7t-19g490-ab (or any other camera shippable to Portugal), but I'm a bit unsure about the necessary wiring components.

Could someone point me in the right direction regarding which wires I need to buy for this installation? Any helpful links would be appreciated.

Additionally, I'm wondering if this camera requires a 54-pin APIM adapter and an RCA cable. Could someone clarify this for me?

As a beginner in this field, I'd also appreciate any additional tips or advice that experienced members might have for a successful retrofitting process.

Many thanks in advance!

You have prompted me to post a write up I did last year, but never got round to publishing.

Hopefully it may be of some help to future installers.

My Installation

I've just completed my OEM camera installation and I thought I would share some details of it, which may assist future installers.

And a big thanks to Rickychips and the other pioneers of Mk4 reversing camera installs, whether OE or aftermarket.

My approach was to start at the tailgate (Estate), install the camera and wiring loom as far as a new 6 pin male molex connector (off Ebay) just out of the left hand tailgate rubber cable duct and tucked above the roof lining.
Before I wired up the molex I connected the loom tails to a 12v suppy and a mini-monitor to check it was working OK - it was, except the picture was black and white as the monitor was PAL and the camera NTSC.

Next I did the APIM and BCM wiring plus ignition 12v from the fusebox. I followed Piotr's keyhole surgery approach to getting access to the APIM.

I made the 3 wires into a loom and ran it in the left hand sill cable tray and eventually up to the molex connector I had previously installed in the roof. I put the female connector on, joined up, did the Forscan mod and I was up and running!

A few more details: you will need a 10m length of two core screened cable. I went with this one
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33048879036.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.29.21ef1802x1CO74
in 24awg, mesh screen, flame retardant. Avoid CCA cables.
For the BCM and +12v I used single stranded wire, 1.6mm od.
A roll of fabric loom tape is useful for a neat installation.
For the camera and apim connectors I didn't have a suitable crimper, so I soldered the pins. You need to cut down the "wings" of the solder area after soldering so they don't foul the Shell. And be sure to use tails of narrow gauge wire as there's not much room, especially in the camera connector.

Tailgate

I had trouble getting the plastic trim panel off the tailgate - every single one of the yellow plastic rivets stayed in the metal of the tailgate. What a bad design! In contrast to the Mk3 where the panel comes off relatively easily. In fact the whole of the installation was somewhat blighted by these plastic rivets of varying colours and other plastic clips, all of which are keen to break as soon as you look at them.
Once I got the panel off, I took the old tailgate switch out - take care, the clips break easily; you can release 3 from inside and I managed to release the back one from outside with a plastic pry tool.
Then I fitted the new switch with camera and made up a loom to reach just outside the tailgate. I routed this up the left side of the tailgate, following the existing loom. Since you are working upside down, I found it helpful to attach the new loom with twist ties first and then use tie wraps.
Getting the wiring through the flexible duct was tricky, as the wire ends get stuck on the corrugations. In the end I resorted to the vacuum cleaner and dental floss technique - it worked like a dream.

Body Wiring Front to Back

I found this fiddly, with lots more of those trim clips very eager to break. If doing this again, I would be tempted to route the wiring up the left hand windscreen pillar and go back above the roof lining. The light fittings could be useful "break points".

• Like 2

On 3/1/2024 at 3:43 PM, Luís Santos said:

54-pin APIM adapter and an RCA cable. Could someone clarify this for me?

The genuine camera is not using RCA signal. It is "symmetrical" or "differential" signal. All the RCA adapters simply bind negative line of the APIM input to ground, letting out only positive signal as the RCA core. This can work but loses the key benefit from the "differential" line - immunity on disturbance. So, the proper connection of the genuine camera requires both lines V+/V- and ground (shield) signal to be "retrofitted" on the 54 APIM connector:

image.thumb.png.5e718b2a618caf36dfb134814337b2b4.png

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club