Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus 2012 Auto Juddering/stutters in low gears

Blondon

Hi

I've seen this covered in different ways on here already but struggle to find one that is exactly the same as mine - I also cant find a clear solution to the other post so thought i'd share my issue. 

When accelerating from 0 with a bit of speed required (say getting onto a busy roundabout) the car can judder in low gears. Its a very small but definite judder or stutter - in other words the feeling is not smooth. Once up to speed, this doesn't happen anymore. If i accelerate carefully and slowly from 0, I can eliminate the judder/stutter, but i need to accelerate very slowly for this to happen. 

This has always been there and i have had the car for about 7 months, it sort of didn't bother me at first but now its a bit more present and i'm wondering if there is a more serious issue that i should get checked?

Any advise would be appreciated. 

Thanks

It's the usual problem with that type of gearbox that never really got fixed. Early ones had oil leaks that got onto the dual clutch friction material causing judder. Even when the oil leaks were fixed the later clutch packs still had a tendancy to judder. 

Get used to it or get it gone really. 

Thanks for you reply @iantt

Thats interesting, so there isn't really a solid fix for this then? If i take it to my local Ford i'm sure i will need to go through a £130 diagnostic before any work is carried out, i'd rather not run up a massive bill on this. is it pretty straight forward to repair oil leaks if this is the case? That being said, i haven't noticed any oil on the driveway, assuming that would happen?

I am thinking to sell the car and move on but not sure if this issue is something that has the be fixed or whether its tolerable/ wont cause any harm left alone... 

You might find that a gearbox service will help. When was the last time the gearbox oil and filter was changed?  Might be worth spending the money perhaps, if you like the car in other respects. Though it will never be as smooth as a torque converter auto.

19 hours ago, Blondon said:

Hi

I've seen this covered in different ways on here already but struggle to find one that is exactly the same as mine - I also cant find a clear solution to the other post so thought i'd share my issue. 

When accelerating from 0 with a bit of speed required (say getting onto a busy roundabout) the car can judder in low gears. Its a very small but definite judder or stutter - in other words the feeling is not smooth. Once up to speed, this doesn't happen anymore. If i accelerate carefully and slowly from 0, I can eliminate the judder/stutter, but i need to accelerate very slowly for this to happen. 

This has always been there and i have had the car for about 7 months, it sort of didn't bother me at first but now its a bit more present and i'm wondering if there is a more serious issue that i should get checked?

Any advise would be appreciated. 

Thanks

Hi,

I presume you are a Petrol powershift DCT250?

The clutches are dry on these.

The only thing that may help is to perform a clutch relearn using FORSCAN, you have to follow the steps thoroughly though or it will fail half way through.

You could also see if there is an update for the software in the PCM or TCM (Engine and gearbox modules)

Making sure the battery is in tip top condition and the grounding points are clean is also advised for powershifts 

You could also speak to FORD UK CRC, give them your VIN and see if your car is still covered by the extended powershift warranty

• Like 1

On 3/6/2023 at 1:05 PM, DaveT70 said:

Hi,

I presume you are a Petrol powershift DCT250?

The clutches are dry on these.

The only thing that may help is to perform a clutch relearn using FORSCAN, you have to follow the steps thoroughly though or it will fail half way through.

You could also see if there is an update for the software in the PCM or TCM (Engine and gearbox modules)

Making sure the battery is in tip top condition and the grounding points are clean is also advised for powershifts 

You could also speak to FORD UK CRC, give them your VIN and see if your car is still covered by the extended powershift warranty

Thanks for your advise @DaveT70, that was really helpful. I gave Ford UK CRC a call, once i had explained what was wrong and mentioned the extended powershift warranty i was told to wait on. hold for a bit, after a while it was agreed they would run a diagnostic (i think with Ford footing the cost). Sounds like its not on a recall list but on a sort of secondary list.

This will be the second time its gone in, first was do replace the TCM module, also on a sort of secondary recall list. 

8 hours ago, Blondon said:

Thanks for your advise @DaveT70, that was really helpful. I gave Ford UK CRC a call, once i had explained what was wrong and mentioned the extended powershift warranty i was told to wait on. hold for a bit, after a while it was agreed they would run a diagnostic (i think with Ford footing the cost). Sounds like its not on a recall list but on a sort of secondary list.

This will be the second time its gone in, first was do replace the TCM module, also on a sort of secondary recall list. 

TCM failure was an early issue.

Most were changed under warranty or under the extended warranty.

If it's failed again it should be covered.

Ask them to make sure the software is up to date in the PCM & TCM too, while it's in.

• 10 months later...

Hi did you get a resolution for this please? 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club