Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ecosport Zetec TDCI 2016 failed MOT for emissions

freyja2018

After the failure I was advised by the Garage to take it out and rev the engine to above 4000 rpm through the gears. I tried and the emissions went down but not enough to pass. They said it was because I did only short journeys and never gave it full throttle. The garage said I would need a new catalytic convertor and because it was attached to the dpf would cost £1295. They couldn't get a part as it is back catalogue and I went to my local Ford garage. They quoted £1575, but this went up for some technical reason i did not understand to £1795. They then rang back and said the part is no longer made and again a very technical explanation of why it would now cost £2400. Apart from not being able to afford this they could not guarantee it would then pass the MOT. I would really value some advice of whether there is a better way to proceed with this.

Hi,

There's no cat test (CO2) on a diesel MOT so it must have failed on particulate matter exceeding the plate value?

This means it is the DPF that's the problem, not the cat.  (Although they are combined so must be replaced together)

If you can provide the exact failure point that may help us confirm what's wrong.

Generally, ragging the nuts off of it for half an hour would clear it out and allow it to pass.  As this hasn't happened you are stuck with either having to replace it, or having it removed and professionally cleaned using a sonic cleaner.  There's no point using fuel additive that claims to clean the DPF.  (Note, there is a chance that your DPF core has cracked, in which case even professional cleaning will not save it)

You may be able to have a used DPF fitted from a scrap car if you can find a suitable one at a breakers yard.  It is a risk of course, not knowing how the scrap car was driven, but should be far cheaper than the £2400 you've been quoted and is probably what I'd try if it was my car - assuming I could not find a brand new aftermarket part available that the initial garage had missed.

Just had a quick look on eBay and can't immediately see any used EcoSport DPFs.

I would assume them to be the same as the 1.5 TDCI Fiesta & B-Max though you would have to double check that with any seller.  There are two options available, one with 2 wire connections, and one with a third connection as well.  You would have to check your own car to confirm which one you need.  It's very easy to see at the top/front of the engine.

Just for reference, this is the shape that yours will be. 

FORD B-MAX 1.5TDCi (UGJC engine) 8/12-12/16 (Euro 5 Cat/DPF combined) | eBay

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club