Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

What is the point of the oil light?

CrazyInWeston

This goes for all cars. The oil light is to tell you either not enough pressure or oil in the system.

In older cars just turning left or right would make the light on the dash turn on.

I ask this because surely with all the sensors their are in cars now, could there not be one for oil?

Engine oil is important, how come by now in the age of tiktok and fake influencers where no one understands anything about cars anymore has this been addressed where almost every other aspect has... For example:

Parking sensors

Auto dimmible rear mirrors

Auto windscreen wipers

Self cut off indicators.

The list just goes on, but for oil?

I once drove 1000 miles never knowing my engine oil was empty, no light.

Hence my question. Why is engine oil a guessing game when there are even sensors on the rims telling us whats the tire pressure! My oil light never turned on once. Ive had this happen in 2 cars now. Way lower or empty on dipstick but no light. Shouldnt it be more sensitive?

• Sad 1

45 minutes ago, CrazyInWeston said:

In older cars just turning left or right would make the light on the dash turn on.

The oldest car I ever owned was a 1972 Datsun 120y. The oil light never appeared by just turning left or right. If my oil light ever lit up in any subsequent car, it was always correct in telling me that it needed topped up. Personally, I think it works really well...

• Like 3

It's always low oil pressure, always has been.

Low oil level is always a different symbol or message, if fitted.

Cornering or going up & down hills never turns the low pressure light on unless you are low on oil and not picking up.

Once the low oil pressure light comes on it's pretty much game over for the engine, unless you are very lucky

• Like 2

My Fiesta Mk6 burnt/leaked through all it's oil twice. I was a brand new driver, didn't know naf all about cars. Wasn't til I started the journey of knowledge and car maintenance that I realised the oil warning light only shows when you turn the ignition to the first click, it disappears as soon as you fully turn the ignition on (I suppose to not distract you?).

I had no clue I had a red engine warning light and low oil for ages until I wised up. Only really bad stuff like a flashing yellow engine warning light will show while you are actually driving the car as that is a 'stop driving now' kind of warning.

So, sit in your car, turn the ignition partway, and wait. It may only be me who was daft or inexperienced enough to not know this but if not then this may help you!

54 minutes ago, tidsy_innit said:

My Fiesta Mk6 burnt/leaked through all it's oil twice. I was a brand new driver, didn't know naf all about cars. Wasn't til I started the journey of knowledge and car maintenance that I realised the oil warning light only shows when you turn the ignition to the first click, it disappears as soon as you fully turn the ignition on (I suppose to not distract you?).

I had no clue I had a red engine warning light and low oil for ages until I wised up. Only really bad stuff like a flashing yellow engine warning light will show while you are actually driving the car as that is a 'stop driving now' kind of warning.

So, sit in your car, turn the ignition partway, and wait. It may only be me who was daft or inexperienced enough to not know this but if not then this may help you!

Just curious, when you get a new phone, do you spend a bit of time learning how to use it? If you get a new TV, do you spend a bit of time learning how to use it? Even a washing machine, do you learn how to use it? How on earth do you take control of a ton of machinery capable of going over 100mph, but couldn't care less on how the thing works? Not talking about the detailed procedure of changing a timing belt, but really basic stuff like what fuel it takes, where the oil goes, how to full the washer bottle?

I just find your whole attitude very disturbing...

8 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

Just curious, when you get a new phone, do you spend a bit of time learning how to use it? If you get a new TV, do you spend a bit of time learning how to use it? Even a washing machine, do you learn how to use it? How on earth do you take control of a ton of machinery capable of going over 100mph, but couldn't care less on how the darn thing works? Not talking about the detailed procedure of changing a timing belt, but really basic stuff like what fuel it takes, where the oil goes, how to full the washer bottle?

I just find your whole attitude very disturbing...

I mean, do you expect an apology from me for not knowing something? I've clearly educated myself a bit more now. I was just sharing my experience in the hope it might help, so crawl back in your hole you little gremlin. There's a lot to learn about cars and I didn't know it all straight away, what's your problem?

11 minutes ago, tidsy_innit said:

I mean, do you expect an apology from me for not knowing something?

Of course not, you should educate yourself like every member on here by seeking knowledge.

12 minutes ago, tidsy_innit said:

... so crawl back in your hole you little gremlin.

How do you know if I live in a hole or not? Also, gremlin? (definition - "an imaginary little creature...") I am neither imaginary, nor little 🤣

14 minutes ago, tidsy_innit said:

... what's your problem?

That's really a very wide open question, which would take far too long to list here!

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, tidsy_innit said:

Wasn't til I started the journey of knowledge and car maintenance that I realised the oil warning light only shows when you turn the ignition to the first click, it disappears as soon as you fully turn the ignition on (I suppose to not distract you?).

Just to be clear.  This is completely incorrect.

The low oil pressure light illuminates every time you switch the ignition on as there is no oil pressure created until the engine starts turning over.

If there is still low oil pressure with the engine running, the red light will stay on until the pressure reaches the required level.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, tidsy_innit said:

The red low oil pressure warning light will stay on until the engine has started and the oil had reached the correct pressure

1 minute ago, DaveT70 said:

The red low oil pressure warning light will stay on until the engine has started and the oil had reached the correct pressure

Dave, did you miss Tom's post just before yours? 😂

In the good old days, you may have had an oil pressure gauge (with a needle that would quite often just bounce all over the place) that would show the oil pressure and also give a vital display of when the pressure dropped (usually at tickover, going up a hill, excessive temperatures, etc) but mostly scared the hell out of you all the time you stared at it 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Ford Owners' Club said:

In the good old days you may have had an oil pressure gauge in your dash which would show the pressure and also gave a vital warning of when the pressure dropped

On my old Celica GT4, I fitted my own pressure gauge, as I've always been a bit OCD with oil pressure!

pressuregauge.thumb.jpg.967aeb536f8ca1db4ba5aeeff3b500c5.jpg

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

, I fitted my own pressure gauge,

£27.99 back in the 1980's. Truly a man with way too much money 🤣

That would be over a £100 at today's prices and you had 3 of them !!!

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, unofix said:

£27.99 back in the 1980's. Truly a man with way too much money 🤣

That would be over a £100 at today's prices and you had 3 of them !!!

That's not the biggest shock, in the olden days, I did a bit of pottering myself and remember fitting the gauges! I wouldn't know where to start on a 'modern' car 🤣

pressuresender.thumb.jpg.49052ff7d87b9039befed6823a8958ce.jpg

• Like 2

The best type to get was the mechanical capillary type gauge with fluid damping to stop the needle from jumping around and they did cost a fortune even back then. Fitted one to my Mustang before I fired up the new engine....would always prime the engine and wait until it was to pressure before switching the ignition on.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ford Owners' Club said:

The best type to get was the mechanical capillary type gauge with fluid damping to stop the needle from jumping around and they did cost a fortune even back then.

OMG, I fitted one of those to my 1982 Fiesta XR2. Initially made a real botch as I hadn't tightened the connection properly to the gauge, so first twist of the key saw oil shoot out all over the interior! LOL

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

OMG, I fitted one of those to my 1982 Fiesta XR2. Initially made a real botch as I hadn't tightened the connection properly to the gauge, so first twist of the key saw oil shoot out all over the interior! LOL

Well at least you knew you had good oil pressure 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, StephenFord said:

Dave, did you miss Tom's post just before yours? 😂

Yes, I think he was typing as I was 👍

• Like 1

Really? His is timestamped over 30 minutes before yours . . . .

1 minute ago, mjt said:

Really? His is timestamped over 30 minutes before yours . . . .

Maybe Fujitsu was involved in designing the forum software! 😁

• Haha 4

Come on lads, get a grip! Ok, Ok,Ok, I didn't see his post

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for all of your replies but I feel I must correct myself here. When I said corners affecting oil pressure I was drunk in that OP post and confused myself with the fuel gauge where it can swing due to corners.

Having said that however my original point still stands. I've had a car that was totally empty on oil for the engine and no light. Why are we trusting the dipstick? Surely there should be a sensor to tell you oil levels are below the dipstick and put more in, but there isnt one, that was my main question of the thread but I was drunk and I feel it got sidetracked.

Like car tyres can monitor if the pressure goes below a standard if your car has a tyre monitoring system, why isnt there one for oil levels? We have the oil light that apparently tells you when its empty but A: I had a car and drove it for 1000 miles no light and no oil and B: there is no way for it to tell you if you put too much in.

If there was a sensor for the correct oil levels in the engine and it told you too much or too little, you could sort it out better! This was my point, the oil light tells you bugger all on how much oil your have for the correct running of the engine, you could even be empty (like I had on a previous car) and it still ran fine despite no oil at all on the dipstick, as I said I did 1000 miles on it no problems. I got no light for no oil on that car, so why not a light tuned to the correct parameters of each cars correct oil levels needed for the car? It would also help you better when/if you have an oil leak!

I understand the light is to display no oil pressure, but by that time its gone, your engine is ruined is it not? If we have rain sensors, tyre sensors, surely an oil pressure sensor thats within the parameters of the engine, not when its empty, like I said whats the point of the oil light if it doesnt do this... because currently if it stays on yer screwed (Cos no oil). Where are the safety protocols?

5 hours ago, CrazyInWeston said:

I've had a car that was totally empty on oil for the engine and no light. Why are we trusting the dipstick?

It's all down to the design of the engine sump, some engines can run on oil level below the dipstick because that's how it was designed, but there's still enough oil for the pick up pipe to pump it around the engine.

Low pressure is another thing all together

• Like 4

There IS an oil level sensor, gauge and light in some cars.  If you buy a cheap Ford, you get a cheap engine.

Trouble is, the oil level sensor has it's limitations and many drivers wouldn't understand that.  For one, the oil level gauge only works with the ignition on.  As soon as you switch the engine on, the oil level in the sump drops dramatically which would give a false reading.  Secondly, the sensor has to be mounted at the edge of the sump, which means it is not accurate when parked on any sort of incline.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/25/2024 at 10:14 AM, TomsFocus said:

There IS an oil level sensor, gauge and light in some cars.  If you buy a cheap Ford, you get a cheap engine.

Trouble is, the oil level sensor has it's limitations and many drivers wouldn't understand that.  For one, the oil level gauge only works with the ignition on.  As soon as you switch the engine on, the oil level in the sump drops dramatically which would give a false reading.  Secondly, the sensor has to be mounted at the edge of the sump, which means it is not accurate when parked on any sort of incline.

Sorry for the belated reply and thanks for your answer. However, couldn't there be a sensor to read the required pressures needed for the optimum running of the car? Its about oil pressure, a wording that is used, the "pressure" of which surely with maths, a sensor can read the differing layers of 'pressure' within the engine and alert drivers when there is too much or too little for optimum usage?

I'm sorry if you think I'm trying to flog a dead horse so to speak, because I simply don't get it. We have knock sensors, Air sensors, Throttle sensors etc etc is having a sensor for oil pressure that alerts the user when it gets below optimum levels really that hard? Or above if the user has poured too much oil?

I get it, there is the Dipstick that tells you, but I get my oil regularly changed and its very very difficult for me to see where the oil level is on my dipstick, I can't actually see where it is and thats why I asked this, because surely an actual sensor monitoring the pressure limits would be better no? Thanks.

• Sad 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club