Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford focus 2008 rough idle stall when brake to a stop

Mal77

Hello guys , 

I have a ford focus 2008 zetec 1.6 automatic .

would appreciate a point in right direction , let me explain onset and current symptoms . 
Began with some rough idling when I was at traffic lights which slowly started  to happen more often and then it began doing the rough idle followed by engine cutting out . Most started back up fine sometimes not . After a lot of research on forums I found the throttle body clean . I cleaned it fairly thoroughly as I could which cloth and carb spray although I didn’t take it out to clean , was cleaned just after taking the pipe off . Was fairly dirty black cloth etc . After doing this the first time it definitely made some minor improvements but didn’t fully stop the problem . I cleaned a second time a bit deeper inside and then the car definitely ran smoother again and had periods where I was getting no issue . Then maybe a rough idle here and tbh see after driving a short while and pulling up . Then it began dying when going into reverse and now it dies pretty much 90 per cent of times when I have broke to a stop , jus before the car is about to stop from the brakes the car has a little stutter and then engine cuts out . Starts up fine and soon as I brake to a stop again it dies . I have read many things which could be the issue but can anyone help me with these more specific symptoms of having rough idle , the throttle body clean giving a good reaction but still being in same and possibly worse spot now with the frequency of dying when braking to a stop . 
I read a lot of people fix the similar issue by changing the IACV but have also read my model does not have this as it’s an electronic throttle body so does not need the IACV. 
also MAF sensor , pvc and sensor . 
Also read spark plugs , coil pack and wires  . 

any help is welcome 

Corrected name to zetec 

Some people have mentioned a VAC hose that splits on these engines.

I'm sure someone will be along to assist

1 hour ago, DaveT70 said:

Thanks , fingers crossed 🤞 

It's the oil breather hose (PCV) that goes from the manifold to the engine block that frequently splits.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

It's the oil breather hose (PCV) that goes from the manifold to the engine block that frequently splits.

Thank you , 

would this issue cause the exact symptoms of a slight rough idle and car dying when braking?
 sometimes it happens sometimes it it doesn’t.  
as the car is comin to a stop you feel the car stutter a little and either shut off or sometimes the battery light has come on As if it was about to die and then light goes off and it kicks back in and doesn’t die . this happened a couple of times today but at its worst it’s dying when braking to a stop . Also feels like when it’s about to die from the braking just a touch of gas makes it happen less . 

It may do but it's not 100% definite.  Those symptoms can be caused by various things.  It's easy enough to check that pipe before doing anything else though.

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

It may do but it's not 100% definite.  Those symptoms can be caused by various things.  It's easy enough to check that pipe before doing anything else though.

I also have some new spark plugs to fit but had trouble removing the old ones , will also look at changing the coil pack and spark plug wires . 
I had a previous issue I self diagnosed through research on the forums . Same car aswel . It used to have all sorts of problems with the whole instrument cluster and sometimes whole system shutting off while driving, sometimes downhill at 40 odd ! Scary ! The cluster would flash on and off and u could press it and it would go back on , so many issues . Found it to be the soldering points on the back of instrument cluster quite regularly crack causing all sorts of mayhem with the car .  Someone suggested on here and I Found a place in Essex to re solder the points took about half an hour and it only cost around £80 and my God the improvement it made to the car all around and that particular problem was amazing and was the best £80 I have spent and it is great on these forums being able to find out so much information  to help fixes , salutes all around ! 

13 hours ago, DaveT70 said:

Thanks , fingers crossed 🤞 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club