Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk 7 1.6 Tdci (95Bhp) Mpg Issues, Anyone Else?

happyarthur1979

Thanks for all the info.

I have definitely noticed the fan staying on quite often when I stop.... even in this cold weather and on 3 mile trips... so it must be doing it's regen.

Have now done 2 x 100 mile round trips on motorways so it has now had a bit of a "blast".

Managed 50.6 mpg at cruise-controlled 64 (69 on speedo, 64 on GPS) in no traffic for 40 miles.

Don't like going that slow though! I think I overtook one caravan, but everything else was whizzing past.

Think I will now forget about economy, and go back to normal driving style, and just get 40mpg but feeling happier!

im with you on this, i average around 35 - 40 mpg with a 95ps tdci with only 4000 miles on the clock, but when i get out of the car im always happy, i gave up trying to drive "eco" a while back,

i came from a 1L corsa which was ok for economy so now its time to waste money lol

Curse my poverty spec derv and it's lack of dpf :)

im with you on this, i average around 35 - 40 mpg with a 95ps tdci with only 4000 miles on the clock,

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r: I cried both times my mpg went below 50! (48.0 & 48.8)

Luckily I'm back up to 53/54 now..<br><br>EDIT: Spoke too soon, filled up today and it was 49mg :(<br>

My car is constantly reading a MPG in the 60s and even the 70s earlier.

Now i'm not driving slow, I keep up with traffic, however I notice that even the average of 60's I still dont get much more than 500 miles to a tank which is 57ish so it isn't 100%...

Which leads me to a question....

How accurate is the remaining miles on the trip computer? My last car stopped showing at 50 miles where as this one contiues right down.

I filled it up when it said 30 miles left and it seemed pretty accurate...

Using my spreadsheet I can tell you that on my Fiesta the 'miles remaining' reading is on average -31% accurate (it says less than what I physically have left)

On avaerage I fill up when computer says 58miles left, I actually have 75.

The mpg computer on mine is accurate to -0.51%. Average reading 52.0 when mine is 52.3.

Using my spreadsheet I can tell you that on my Fiesta the 'miles remaining' reading is on average -31% accurate (it says less than what I physically have left)

On avaerage I fill up when computer says 58miles left, I actually have 75.

The mpg computer on mine is accurate to -0.51%. Average reading 52.0 when mine is 52.3.

So I can trust that if it says 30 miles I would get them then?

It's just the needles was right on the red, so I thought it might be a little off.

So I can trust that if it says 30 miles I would get them then?

It's just the needles was right on the red, so I thought it might be a little off.

If mine said said 30 left I'd actually have 39.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I am the same with my mpg. I have a mk7 1.6tdci (90hp) version with 56000 miles on the clock and even now, with the engine run in, I am very lucky to see 50mpg. I have no idea where they get their figures from!

The TRIP computer is fairly reliable then. Ive not actually calculated what my MPG is, i just assumed the computer was right :/

I filled up & reset my trip readings before doing a trip to see family - about 20 miles round trip, max 40mph.

Managed to get about 56mpg on the trip.

Compared to my usual 42 mpg on 3 mile commute, this was really good!

I worked out that on this 3 mile commute, I have to stop at 19 junctions or traffic lights, so it really is stop & start all the time, and the engine doesn't really warm up, so is really bad for mpg.

The TRIP computer is fairly reliable then. Ive not actually calculated what my MPG is, i just assumed the computer was right :/

My trip computer is -1.25% accurate

I filled it up when it said 30 miles left and it seemed pretty accurate...

I've drove to work when mines has been at 0 miles left, i hate refueling so i always leave it til morning then i always sleep late.

My work is 6 miles from my house and then it was another 2 to get petrol at lunch time roughly.

Hi

I have had my 1.6 TDCi (90PS version) for 10 days now. I filled up on Saturday 12th and have done 460 miles to date. Computer says 82 miles left so thats 542 miles to a tank of 8.8 gallons. Computer reading 63.3 mpg which would suggest 557 miles to the tank. Have been driving carefully but not got anywhere near the quoted figures and i have a typical combined usage 32 mile journey, 17 on motorway, 15 urban.

• 9 months later...

Had my Fiesta a few weeks and until now I have been averaging 54mpg which I was quite happy with as it's mainly been commuting, shopping, etc.

I did my first longer run today (180 miles mostly motorway) and was disappointed that I only got 51mpg. Every other car I have owned (and there's been a lot!) has always done much better on a motorway run compared to every day driving.

For example:

My Audi diesel (A4 2.0 TDI) did 47mpg on the everyday driving but on a run up to Scotland did 54mpg.

My Renault diesel (Megane 1.9 DCI) again did 47 on the every day but on a run would do 52mpg.

Even my Land Rover which managed 37mpg normally would creep up to 40mpg on a motorway run.

My driving style hasn't varied - 70mph with cruise on for all cars - but the Fiesta MPG seems to be the wrong way round!

Not happy!

Cheers

Rog

I've only been using cruise control for a week but I can get better mpg without it, just means more footwork!

Went out and did a bit of testing today along a dual carriageway with handy roundabouts at each end this morning.

I got up to a set speed each time and then reset the trip computer and drove steady at that speed until I had to ease off for the roundabout at the end. It's about 6 miles. This is the result:

Round town = 54mpg

@50mph = 60mpg

@60mph = 55mpg

@70mph = 49mpg

Ford claim 57mpg urban, 78mpg extra urban and 67mpg combined.

All my previous diesel cars averaged between 85-105% of the manufacturer combined figure based on my driving style and typical driving conditions. Therefore, the Fiesta should do an easy 57mpg average even based on the worst case estimate. Having measured now on two full tanks, I am only getting 52 overall. Add to that the very poor mpg on the motorway (worse than round town!) and I think something's not right here??

Thoughts?

Cheers

Rog

Therefore, the Fiesta should do an easy 57mpg average even based on the worst case estimate.

The Fiesta can manage that easily, either your engine is too new (I didn't see 60+mpg until after 15k miles), your driving style can be improved, or there's a fault with the car.

The Fiesta can manage that easily, either your engine is too new (I didn't see 60+mpg until after 15k miles), your driving style can be improved, or there's a fault with the car.

My mileage is approaching 17k so I don't think the engine is too new. My driving style has worked fine on all of the other diesels I have had. In most cases I equalled or exceeded the manufacturer's combined mpg just on my daily driving and was somewhere between combined and extra urban on a long run. This is the first car I've ever had where the motorway mpg is worse than the urban!

Phone call to the dealer in the morning methinks...

Cheers

Rog

If the dealer won't investigate or fobs you off you could always try and Econocheck (I've had 2 so far)

It's around £12 [at my local dealer] and includes a voucher for £10 off your next service. Basically they plug a small data recorder in to your car and you drive for the next 7 days. Sent it back to Ford and a few days later they send you a report on your driving style, areas to improve etc & your anticipated fuel saving if you follow their advice.

If this report comes back and praises your driving but your mpg is still low you've got more ammo against the dealer.

If you'd like to see a copy of mine just let me know.

If the dealer won't investigate or fobs you off you could always try and Econocheck (I've had 2 so far)

It's around £12 [at my local dealer] and includes a voucher for £10 off your next service. Basically they plug a small data recorder in to your car and you drive for the next 7 days. Sent it back to Ford and a few days later they send you a report on your driving style, areas to improve etc & your anticipated fuel saving if you follow their advice.

If this report comes back and praises your driving but your mpg is still low you've got more ammo against the dealer.

If you'd like to see a copy of mine just let me know.

I'd be interested in doing that... I think the guys at ford would have a heart attack seeing how i drive lol!!

I'd be interested in doing that... I think the guys at ford would have a heart attack seeing how i drive lol!!

Do it and show us the results ;)

I will! lol I'm due to go into the dealer tomorrow so ill enquire! lol

I bet the answer will be "SLOW THE **** DOWN" lol

Just been looking at Econo Check on Ford's website. Looks interesting. I will defo suggest it if the dealer gets funny but might try it anyway. Says participating dealers only so hopefully Gates do it...

Cheers

Rog

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club