Do Not Sell My Personal Information

ANY IDEAS!

1200rt

I have a Focus 1.8 zetec 'T' reg. Sometimes, say every couple of weeks, the clutch pedal goes sloppy and only engages right near the floor. If I push it down to the floor then let it spring up quickly a couple of times it seems to reset itself. The missus reckons that by putting your fioot under the clutch pedal and lifting it up also seems to reset it. Although this has never worked for me.

Any ideas as to whats faulty? I believe there is a ratchet type thing above the clutch pedal that is may be worn and needs replacing (cogs worn?). There is no leekage of any fluids. A local garage suggests its the master cylinder that needs replacing at a cost of - - - - wait for it £400!!!!!!

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Bob

I have a Focus 1.8 zetec 'T' reg. Sometimes, say every couple of weeks, the clutch pedal goes sloppy and only engages right near the floor. If I push it down to the floor then let it spring up quickly a couple of times it seems to reset itself. The missus reckons that by putting your fioot under the clutch pedal and lifting it up also seems to reset it. Although this has never worked for me.

Any ideas as to whats faulty? I believe there is a ratchet type thing above the clutch pedal that is may be worn and needs replacing (cogs worn?). There is no leekage of any fluids. A local garage suggests its the master cylinder that needs replacing at a cost of - - - - wait for it £400!!!!!!

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Bob

Im afraid your mechanics diagnosis is the same as mine, definately sounds like the clutch master cylinder :(

Im afraid your mechanics diagnosis is the same as mine, definately sounds like the clutch master cylinder :(

sounds like there is air stuck in the system, bleeding it may help. as for a ratchet mechanism...never seen anything like that on a focus, im aware that all focus models are just hydraulic.

If its the master cylinder, DO NOT PAY £400 for it!! i just changed mine for £60!! very simple job to, takes about 2 hours. i understand you may not be able to undertake the task yourself but i would only pay £150 max at a garage including parts. I got a genuine ford clutch master cylinder from a company on eBay for £53 delivered!

If you want to undertake it yourself please get back to me and i will help you out.

stef

• 1 month later...

sounds like there is air stuck in the system, bleeding it may help. as for a ratchet mechanism...never seen anything like that on a focus, im aware that all focus models are just hydraulic.

If its the master cylinder, DO NOT PAY £400 for it!! i just changed mine for £60!! very simple job to, takes about 2 hours. i understand you may not be able to undertake the task yourself but i would only pay £150 max at a garage including acura shock absorber parts. I got a genuine ford clutch master cylinder from a company on ebay for £53 delivered!

If you want to undertake it yourself please get back to me and i will help you out.

stef

Lol. The price is quite ridiculous. £400 for a master cyclinder? No way. I got mine for £70 I just let my uncle do the job.

A ratchet self-adjuster was used on older Fords with cable-operated clutches. As stef123 points out the hydraulic system used on the Focus does not have any adjuster since the system is self-adjusting.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club