Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Speaker Shelf Problem

SeanWHU

I have recently changed from a Mk1 focus to a Mk6 fiesta....slight upgrade I guess. But have taken out my head unit and JBL shelf Speakers from my focus and installed them on my fiesta. Everything is working as it should, apart from the shelf Speakers MASSIVELY lacking bass. In the focus I was constantly asked whether I had a sub in the boot as they was that bassy. Now they sound virtually the same as stock Speakers, despite everything being wired and installed the same.

The only thing I can think is that the speakers don't sit flush with the parcel shelf like they did in the focus, due to the raised bits on the shelf. Could this be a cause of such massive sound loss or is it likely to be something completely different?

Many Thanks

post-52281-0-31008400-1395685953_thumb.j

Gave that a quick go, and I couldn't hear much of a difference. But didn't want to upset the neighbours too much, may give that a go tomorrow abit earlier in the day and whack the volume up a bit lol

Lol yeah, I've not messed with a stereo system for a few years, but seem to remember fiddling with the pos & neg wires often did the trick, bass wise anyway.

The only thing I can think is that the speakers don't sit flush with the parcel shelf like they did in the focus, due to the raised bits on the shelf. Could this be a cause of such massive sound loss or is it likely to be something completely different?

Many Thanks

Yes the gaps will affect the sound.

I had JL Speakers in the front doors which I installed (badly).

Same Speakers installed properly and some sound deadening and they sounded so much better.

Pop over to Talkaudio.co.uk and have a read.

Gonna have to have a bit of a refit then i think, see if i can get them in a bit tighter!.....just would have thought they would have still sounded ok, but they sound really poor. Hmmmm

I know that seating them tightly will make a difference, but if there as bad as you say, then I doubt that is the only issue.

If they're not seated properly then sound will be converted to vibration and you'll lose a lot of sound quality.

I'll see what I can do about getting a better seal around the Speakers, but may have to look into getting some 5x7's for the shelf, only I may have the issue that the holes I've cut being too large for 5x7's now!.....bad times!

You could get a new parcel shelf cheaper than new Speakers surly?? Or make a plate up? 3/4 inch ply and glue it to the shelf with silicon would be solid and not cause that much energy less or could the Speakers have got damaged in the move? But of everything is the same id say its either the holes or the Speakers, do you have anyone you know with the same holes im theirs so you could plug your speakers in and check its not the speakers?? Process of elimination dont want to do the most expensive thing first if its a cheap and easy fix

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC mobile app

Right then....just had a bit of a play around to see if I could get to the bottom of things and have ended up even more confused than I originally was.

My first plan was to swap around pos/neg wires, made little difference at all, probably none....I then thought I'd fiddle with the settings at the head unit and have now found that when I faded the sound over to each rear speaker individually, the bass returned and sounded great like before, so this confirms that the Speakers work and are fitted ok.....but when the fader was put back to 0 (both rear Speakers on) they sounded flat and dull, makes absolutely no sense at all.

Makes perfect sense. Swap pos /neg on ONE speaker only.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Ford OC mobile app

That's what I said yesterday, should have made it clearer to try one at a time.

• 2 weeks later...

Only just got round to having another fiddle with things and turns out that was the problem, switched pos/neg on the rear left and all of a sudden we have bass! tons of it!....feel pretty silly that I never gave that a go before....Ahh well, another lesson learned ^_^ Thanks guys :)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club