Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Keyless Car Thefts

Philf1

Good idea but does it draw attention to the car and make stealing it a challenge the scumbags can't ignore?

Ordered some of those thanks Clive. The Beemers are a favourite for theft via the OBD port.

Yea it's deffo a case of delaying them is best option. What is needed is some dummy port built to fry their equipment. I bet they would sell really well.

Also better policing. The police must have some idea who these people are but will choose to do nothing.

It's not a case of 'choosing to do nothing'.

Unless we catch them with their hands in your window what are we supposed to do?

Call me stupid but if a car is tracked and located - why not sit and wait out for the car to be collected by the theves and catch them red handed. Job done.

They could also search mobile phone records in a specific area if they really want to do so.

Call me stupid but if a car is tracked and located - why not sit and wait out for the car to be collected by the theves and catch them red handed. Job done.

They could also search mobile phone records in a specific area if they really want to do so.

Two words- MONEY and UNDERSTAFFING.

• Like 2

Plus the owner might like to have their car back the moment it's found.

Two words- MONEY and UNDERSTAFFING.

Same with all government depts Clive not that anyone seems to care until it affects them then it's our fault all of a sudden

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC mobile app

We got a letter 2 days after saying the case was closed due to insufficient evidence. Thanks a lot lol.

And they wonder why people have no faith in the police and take the law into they're own hands

I know resources are limited and pressure is increasing but with all this increased technology you would think half of these tasks could be done by admin staff and just allow the officers to go out and do what I think they enjoy most - catching the criminals

We got a letter 2 days after saying the case was closed due to insufficient evidence. Thanks a lot lol.

And they wonder why people have no faith in the police and take the law into they're own hands

Not our fault.

We arrest the suspects and collate the required crime files then CPS decides whether the case has a chance of conviction.

If the chances are low or the case is likely to cost too much (usual reason) then it gets binned.

• Like 1

Could stick some high voltage on a fake obd connector in the normal ones place? :lol:

(Definately don't do this!!!)

Is the normal steering lock strong enough to withstand abuse?

Might remove my obd port (I don't need it) or reroute it elsewhere...

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Ford OC mobile app

I would definitely wire in a hidden switch to mine but I just cba atm also you have to be careful as unless you blend these wires in, a determined thief will feel around for a wire that should not be there and then short them out. So I would say wire two wires, one that's genuine to the switch and the other which would short the alarm. The easier answer still, remove the obd fuse. If you don't use the port disable it with this. How many thieves would check the fuse boards?

The easier answer still, remove the obd fuse. If you don't use the port disable it with this. How many thieves would check the fuse boards?

Good idea, you could just remove it and keep it at home, then just put it back in if taking the car in for a service etc. I might do this if it won't cause any problems, I assume the car would still work normally and it wouldn't cause any problems with error messages?

Correct. Basically it's not involved in the running of the car just reporting of it, and worst case scenario you remove the fuse, the car refuses to start and you put it back. But I'm sure it wouldn't have any issue. I would also suggest you hide the manual in the car. If you leave it easy to access they might nosey through and see you were recently at fuses

What a cracking idea and of course the alarm would be going off at this point so they are unlikely to want to spend time searching for the fuse. Does the car still run fine without the obd fuse then?

I haven't tested it recently but I believe one popped for a mate, it's the obd and instrument cluster. I am fairly sure he only lost a couple of bulbs but it worked fine. I won't say yes, but I would say pop the fuse out, so a quick lap and then make sure it behaves.

Worst case scenario you may lose a gauge (say a bukb or maybe something else) worst case it stops the immobiliser circuit disconnecting, so you put it back and e plate another answer but for a 3 minute trial that could possibly save your motor...

I'd say worst case scenario you take out the fuse and close the bonnet, go for a drive and all seems fine, then next time you come to the car it won't unlock, then you're a bit screwed lol. I might wait until someone else tries it first.

Leave a window down or the boot open lol, mines not keyless but I will try it when I get out of hospital, otherwise check your manual and see what it shares, it probably shares the instrument panel and so it should affect nothing else.

This idea might fail miserably buy if it works, then I just saved you all hundreds each in disabling the obd port, or maybe a fiver for wire and switch lol

Very true. Well if it is on a fuse then it will just cut the OBD power however it could be on the same circuit as the ECU which clearly could be a pain if that fuse controls all of that.

Does that OBD easily come out of that holder as I cant work out how it has actually been fastened into place?

What you see is a front plate as behind there is a connection to which can be removed. But it's a hassle stripping the car down for that.

Oh so that little socket doesn't just push / clip into that holder then? I was hoping it would just pop out then I could set about moving it.

Basically it's just a prettier plug, the plug behind it is a loose obd port (kind of like a USB extension) where the port you see is mounted on the dashboard (like USB on the laptop) so you can disconnect it and if you wanted to move it then as long as the wired are long enough or they can be extended by you then it can be moved wherever.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club