Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Winter Tyres For St / Zetec S

Phil 87

Thank you :D

As I said I don't really know why, but in my car papers it says I'm not allowed to put them on :blink:

I'd reconsider changing the tyres on the rims between normal and winter if I were you. Each time will cost you to get it done, so that's twice a year and as the wheels will need balancing, is also a cost. Approximately £20 per wheel each time? Plus the chance of damaging the rim and maybe the tyre each time. Every time you swap tyres, you also stand the chance of not seating properly so having a slow leak.

You're a lot more cost effective getting some more rims of a better size for the maximum range of tyres available. As for having them fitted for half the year? No, 3 to 4 months is more likely, November to March.

In Germany I'm not allowed to install steel rims on to the fiesta ST, you are only allowed to do this to the normal Fiesta :D

Maybe because of the brakes but I'm not sure. I'm also not allowed to put 15" on.

Over there I was talking about the alloys, which I spend 350€ on. The tyres were 390€ I think.

Does rims and alloys mean the same? (my english isn't good enough sorry...)

The rim, is the metal part of the wheel, whether steel or an alloy. 15 inch rims will fit the ST with the extra large calipers. The spare is graded for a maximum speed and distance of about 50KPH and 50K distance. Roughly 30 mph 30 miles. More to do with the use of the wheel nuts being for alloys. The tyre itself is also a different size and profile, although the diameter should be the same.

• Like 1

I'm still undecided haha, but you're right Gary it makes sense to get winter tyres on different rims. I'll have to look around for some cheap rims that will look good on the car, at least then I can choose a more common tyre size and have a better selection of winter tyres to choose from.

If you find any reasonably priced wheels and tyres that are suitable give me a shout Phil! I'm leaning towards it.

I had a look on tyres-pneus-online.co.uk and you can get a set of alloys with winter tyres of size 195/50 R16 fitted for a decent price (just over £700 for alloys and Bridgestones). I take it as long as the alloys have the right dimensions and have 4 holes, not 5 as some do, they would be ok?

Still it's looking very expensive for me. I might take the third option and just not buy winter tyres, at least not this year. I mostly drive on major roads anyway so as long as I take it easy in cold weather I should be ok.

Just get 15" steellies and use them over the winter with normal tyres. They'll save your alloys from the potholes and salt and will fit over your calipers.

Have a look here mate,

www.tyreleader.co.uk

This is where I got mine from, they do alloys as well as steel wheels on a winter tyre package. They are a German firm, but you get free delivery, I got mine within 48 hours.

• Like 1

Have a look here mate,

www.tyreleader.co.uk

This is where I got mine from, they do alloys as well as steel wheels on a winter tyre package. They are a German firm, but you get free delivery, I got mine within 48 hours.

I used them too and would recommend them.

• Like 1

I've been driving for over 35 years and have never used winter tyres. Just need to drive according to the conditions and if its too bad stay off the road all together.

Having said that one of my mates swears by them and always fits them every year.

Guess it's a personal choice at the end of the day, and how much spare money you have available.

• Like 1

I've been driving for over 35 years and have never used winter tyres. Just need to drive according to the conditions and if its too bad stay off the road all together.

Having said that one of my mates swears by them and always fits them every year.

Guess it's a personal choice at the end of the day, and how much spare money you have available.

Got mine to prevent my alloys from getting buckled again by the dam potholes. I hope to save money in the long run ;)

Missed all these posts despite helping Phil in another topic. Do you 'need' winter tyres? No! Are they safer (at the right temps), YES!

Any conditions (dry, wet or snow) below +7C and you will find winter tyres have better grip and braking. You debate in the dry at 5-7C but no way is a summer tyre going to touch a winter tyre in the wet at say 2-4C. Unless it is a very poor winter tyre!

I am looking to get my class leading Continental TS850 winter tyres fitted this weekend. I have now got the spare set of alloys at the ready.

I have many years winter driving experience and in my time as a Land Rover owner I worked for a voluntary response group. I went out in all weather including heavy snow to help nurses get to patients. I had some brilliant all season tyres at first but changed to winter tyres and even with the amazing abilities of the Freelander 2, I could tell the difference with winter tyres.

Still drive appropriately but they could save you £££ on a minor bump that you would have otherwised avoided. Plus, as I said before, you aren't wearing out the normal tyres when they are fitted.

You make some good points Dave, and I think if I lived in a more rural area there would be no question. At the moment I'm leaning towards sticking with my summer tyres this winter, and maybe saving for a decent set of winter tyres and rims for next year. There's just one junction up my road which could be my undoing though, because it's a right turn on a slight incline, and I can see that could be a problem if we get even light snow. Other than that it's all well used roads so fingers crossed I'll be ok.

I'd be interested to know how ESP and other electronic aids help in wintry conditions, I mean will it stop you from going sideways on a patch of black ice for example? I guess it might keep you heading straight but wouldn't stop you understeering off the road, another reason to just drive to the conditions as everyone says. I've never had anything other than ABS on my other cars, and that doesn't seem to do much in the snow anyway. Maybe with winter tyres it would be quite effective.

I hit some ice in the Land Rover with winter tyres. It was compacted ice hidden under snow on a country lane in the dark with no street lights!

It was a rather uneasy feeling as the back end moved a little. This may well have been worse without winter tyres but I doubt the arsenal of gizmos on the car made much difference. On the Land Rover (auto) there was ESP and terrain response set to grass/gravel/snow which puts the power on a 60:40 bias to the front wheels and has the ESP poised like a ninja expecting slippery conditions. True ice is lethal and you would need studded tyres like they have in Scandinavia to help with that I suspect.

As for managing with summer tyres, cost wise I can see why that is a sensible approach but I noticed some negative reviews about how the potenzas deal with wet roads in another topic which I believe you contributed to Phil. I think one member suggested they may be poor on snow.

Of course, if the tyres were snow tyres, they would be a waste of money. As they are winter tyres, they will keep you safe in all winter weather below 7C. Getting mine fitted Friday and I wish I had them now as the weather has gone cold but the recent mild weather lulled me into a false sense of security!

P.S, we could all be the ultimate text book driver and drive to the conditions (with or without winter tyres) but the biggest problem by far is the idiots who drive like it is still bone dry in the middle of summer. People never cease to amaze me with their lack of abilities to adjust to the conditions or refusal to! Not to mention 4x4 drivers who think they are invincible. GGGRRR!!

P.S, we could all be the ultimate text book driver and drive to the conditions (with or without winter tyres) but the biggest problem by far is the idiots who drive like it is still bone dry in the middle of summer. People never cease to amaze me with their lack of abilities to adjust to the conditions or refusal to! Not to mention 4x4 drivers who think they are invincible. GGGRRR!!

Yes exactly, it amazed me in past winters when I was driving sensibly in the slow lane of a dual carriageway, and then some idiot in a big Audi or BMW 4x4 comes speeding through the slush in the outside lane. If I see so much as frost in an outside lane I'm very reluctant to use it.

And another thing which I think most people are oblivious to is how big a gap you should leave to the car in front, I've heard it's supposed to be 3 or 4 times the normal gap in snowy/icy conditions. So something like 6-8 seconds to be safe. I don't know if that's overkill and I haven't left that much of a gap before, but still some people like to tailgate regardless of the conditions.

I have a set of 17s knocking about from my last car, but the tyres are 215/45 not 205/40 like on the ST... Anyone be able to inform me of the implications of having a different profile tyre on there? I would be happier chucking winters on these as I wouldn't have to Shell out for a new set of wheels.

The only issues I can forsee are: 1. Fitment and 2. The speedo will be wrong.

If anyone can help me out I'd appreciate it! Otherwise I think I'll have to give it a miss this winter and hope for the best!

I have a set of 17s knocking about from my last car, but the tyres are 215/45 not 205/40 like on the ST... Anyone be able to inform me of the implications of having a different profile tyre on there?

www.etyres.co.uk/tyre-size-calculator

Looks like you would increase the wheel diameter by almost 5%, so not only would the speedo read 5% less speed than before (although they over read anyway so should be ok) but it will make the gears seem longer, but maybe it would still be ok. Of course being bigger in width and diameter the tyres could rub on the arches especially on full lock.

The effect of longer gears could actually help in the snow, because each gear would effectively give less torque, so the wheels are less likely to spin. Although wider tyres have the opposite effect.

10 X the stopping distance in icy conditions.

10 times what?

Have a look at the stopping distances here:

http://www.continental-tyres.co.uk/www/tyres_uk_en/themes/car-tyres/winter-tyres/why-winter-tyres/why-winter-tyres.html

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

I'm going the other way with mine.

205 vs 195

40 vs 45

17 vs 16

Different tyre pressures too though nothing drastic

And another thing which I think most people are oblivious to is how big a gap you should leave to the car in front, I've heard it's supposed to be 3 or 4 times the normal gap in snowy/icy conditions. So something like 6-8 seconds to be safe. I don't know if that's overkill and I haven't left that much of a gap before, but still some people like to tailgate regardless of the conditions.

My driving instructor always used to say in perfect conditions, only a fool breaks the two second rule (actually try and say this when the car in front passes an object at the roadside to measure how far away you are.. Better than just counting to two quickly like id do! :P ) in rain the gap goes to 4seconds between cars and snow/ice is a 10 second gap..

In practice not many people actually follow those guidelines as most drivers seem to tailgate other road users but it's the kinda thing that could save you a nasty injury/prevent an accident!

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

• Like 1

In SA you never need winter tyres so my question is what would the largest profile tyre be when installing it on a 17inch rim? I figured that it works the same as off-road tires do, the larger the profile the better? or am I wrong?

Just as an update, I have just phoned my insurance company (Sainsbury's) to inform them of the fitment of the winter tyres on the smaller 16" wheels this Friday.

They said that's fine, duly noted and thanks for calling. I re-iterated that the wheels were different to standard wheels but they said they are not bothered about the wheels, just the tyres. Amended paperwork with winter tyres noted will follow in the post.

Job done.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club