Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Frozen Drivers Door! Please Help!

jwc28

4 hours ago, Paulkp said:

Never had a door lock freeze, but if the seals keep the door shut when trying to open, just push round the door periphery to crack the ice "glue", then open it.....

Or (and this still works after 7 years when this thread started!),

1) get a watering can,

2) full it with warm water.

3) pour it over the frame of the door

4) open door...

Oh, and for door lock freezing (which I had this morning), aim said warm water over the lock/handle mechanism, then, pull.

• Like 3

I had the same problem years ago on a mk1 Ford Granada . IIRC I took the door card off to grease / oil the internal parts of the door catch . I don’t know if a door catch is the same these days or if it has become a bit more like a sealed unit.  I wouldn’t be surprised. 

I just had a look at some pics on eBay and it does look like a door catch these days is not like in the 70s

Fun fact, car door latches nowadays are actually silent.  The 'clunk' is added by design as people assume the door hasn't shut properly without hearing it.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Fun fact, car door latches nowadays are actually silent.  The 'clunk' is added by design as people assume the door hasn't shut properly without hearing it.

In the same way that gas supply to your home is actually odourless, but a stenching agent is added so you can smell it should there be a leak!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, StephenFord said:

Or (and this still works after 7 years when this thread started!),

1) get a watering can,

2) full it with warm water.

3) pour it over the frame of the door

4) open door...

Oh, and for door lock freezing (which I had this morning), aim said warm water over the lock/handle mechanism, then, pull.

After 7 years is the water not cold by now ? 🤔

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, unofix said:

After 7 years is the water not cold by now ? 🤔

Nope, global warming takes care of that LOL

19 hours ago, Cambridge Rob said:

Wino and RMurphy: I watched the videos. Are you suggesting that spraying the door seals with WD40 keeps frozen moisture away from the lock/latch mechanism which is frozen up?

Tnx

No, thats not what my posts says!

I'm impressed you've got a hot tap you can fit a watering can under!  Unless it's a tiny watering can? :laugh: 

Must admit, I recently saw someone using a ziplock bag filled with warm water to 'wipe' over icy car parts.  Definitely something I'll consider if I can start driving again.  Bag can be re-used multiple times, folds up so small it can be left in the car while you're out and keeps your hand warm at the same time.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

I'm impressed you've got a hot tap you can fit a watering can under!  Unless it's a tiny watering can? :laugh: 

Tom, just for you LOL Yes, it is definitely a full size watering can, and one fill is usually enough to deice all glass, 2nd refill needed if doors/locks frozen!

1255871379_wateringcan.thumb.jpg.fd6d2c8a5ffce5ca0b023dc051031235.jpg

And this is what I have this morning, though as I have no need to go out today, car can remain safe covered in snow!

932621209_snowymorning180123.thumb.jpg.b4650254c1e9b318c48e5c263e06efae.jpg

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

Tom, just for you LOL Yes, it is definitely a full size watering can, and one fill is usually enough to deice all glass, 2nd refill needed if doors/locks frozen!

1255871379_wateringcan.thumb.jpg.fd6d2c8a5ffce5ca0b023dc051031235.jpg

And this is what I have this morning, though as I have no need to go out today, car can remain safe covered in snow!

932621209_snowymorning180123.thumb.jpg.b4650254c1e9b318c48e5c263e06efae.jpg

Lucky you @StephenFord wish the snow had made it here instead ov another sharp frost but thankfully I had sprayed the door seals yesterday afternoon and put a flat cardboard box over the windscreen, so no frozen finger ends today 👍

• 10 months later...

Can I ask, has anyone every tried a car cover with any good results in freezing weather?  Like everyone else I have issues with ice on the inside, frozen door seals and occasional bouncing of locks. All a pain and time consuming. I also use hot water which is great until i come home again and the water has frozen on the tarmac drive like an ice rink! Wondered if a car cover would help or a waste of money, of course they are all a bit vague on the temperature issue.

Probably said before on this forum, but push the doors inwards around the periphery to crack the ice seal, not pull on the handle.  And if you have door mirrors freezing folded in, that have shut when you locked the car on the remote, on some cars, if you then plip to unlock, the mirrors will fold out, but then the doors will relock after a short period of time, but the mirrors will stay out.

Or use the garage for what it is provided for !

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club