Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Things I Don't Like

MattDRX

1 hour ago, iantt said:

dont like my car decided to over heat on the way to work this morning. the  again on way home. had to stop 3 times to let it cool down a bit. unfortunatly it looks like the thermostat has jammed shut. its an electric thetmostat . heard the gears jam / break  but no fix . new thermostat best part of £200. ouch!! had to happen at the beginning of a long weekend.

Nightmare!  Do you know any techs that could fix it for you? :tongue:

1 hour ago, iantt said:

dont like my car decided to over heat on the way to work this morning. the  again on way home. had to stop 3 times to let it cool down a bit. unfortunatly it looks like the thermostat has jammed shut. its an electric thetmostat . heard the gears jam / break  but no fix . new thermostat best part of £200. ouch!! had to happen at the beginning of a long weekend. 

Why do car manufacturers insist on making things so technical/over complicated? What was wrong with the old fashioned thermostat that you could take out if need be? 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Turvey said:

What was wrong with the old fashioned thermostat that you could take out if need be? 

Yeah, used to be a case of take out a couple of bolts, chuck away old stat, clean off old gasket and replace with new, pop in new stat, retighten bolts. Takes longer to post this than it took to do the job!

It's no doubt coupled to need for faster warm up, cutting emissions, etc, etc.

39 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Nightmare!  Do you know any techs that could fix it for you? :tongue:

no, thats the problem!! and  cant get one until mid next week even if i knew one to do it for me. 

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Yeah, used to be a case of take out a couple of bolts, chuck away old stat, clean off old gasket and replace with new, pop in new stat, retighten bolts. Takes longer to post this than it took to do the job!

It's no doubt coupled to need for faster warm up, cutting emissions, etc, etc.

yeah, now the electric  thermostat is used to get engine temp hotter than normal operarating for dpf regens. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Turvey said:

Why do car manufacturers insist on making things so technical/over complicated? What was wrong with the old fashioned thermostat that you could take out if need be? 

And generally the old thermostats jam open as opposed to closed so there's no risk of overheating!  But the term "fail safe" doesn't seem to apply now...

• Like 1

I will take out out tommorow and see what gone wrong. 

• Like 2

Just now, iantt said:

I will take out out tommorow and see what gone wrong. 

good luck with it hope its fixable👍 

Getting an awful vibration from the front left between 70 and circa 85 on the motorway, which goes if I drive slower or faster then that. Assuming it’s a wheel balance/alignment issue or a buckled rim? Garage saying it could be wheel bearing or suspension issues, but it’s just had an MOT and I’d hope if they were that bad it’d be picked up. Tyres look pretty new too.

I would have the  wheel balance looked at 😊

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, dtulip8 said:

Getting an awful vibration from the front left between 70 and circa 85 on the motorway, which goes if I drive slower or faster then that. Assuming it’s a wheel balance/alignment issue or a buckled rim? Garage saying it could be wheel bearing or suspension issues, but it’s just had an MOT and I’d hope if they were that bad it’d be picked up. Tyres look pretty new too.

When would you ever need to go above 70 anyway? :whistling: 

Alignment issues cause drifting, balance issue cause vibration.  So somethings definitely out of balance, hopefully a wheel, but could also be hub or driveshaft.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, dezwez said:

good luck with it hope its fixable👍 

Had a quick look this morning and thermostat feels like it's opening but coolant doesn't appear to be flowing. Maybe water pump impeller broke. Unfortunately the thermostat is leaking  slightly . So ordered a new thermostat from ford ( can't get a pattern one from my local motor factor) they can't get one until mid week. 

Taking it off this afternoon then strip timing belt and water pump to see what's going on there. My tools are at work so I got to go and borrow some from my brother in law. 

• Like 1

Had a call earlier from my parents, a fire engine has driven into their car while it was parked outside their house.

They are both at-risk and still need to attend regular hospital appointments so now will likely be exposed to public transport but both have poor mobility.

I can't help them due to having to remain at distance plus a hectic work pattern.

Spoke to my mate who was the attending traffic officer and he reckons it's likely a write off.

***** typical.

One ray of hope is that one of my sisters husbands owns his own garage so may be able to offer them a pool car whilst the insurance company chases up a proper loaner.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

• Sad 4

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

When would you ever need to go above 70 anyway? :whistling: 

Alignment issues cause drifting, balance issue cause vibration.  So somethings definitely out of balance, hopefully a wheel, but could also be hub or driveshaft.

Just for testing purposes 😉. Will get them to investigate when it goes to the tyre shop.

• Like 1

well, the thermostat was working ok, smashed it apart after to see the workings. it was leaking from an internal seal so required replacing anyway. 

cant be bothered to take water pump off this weekend . that will wait  till monday after work  

Screenshot_20200508-171801_Gallery.jpg

• Like 2

I don't like that the works WhatsApp chat kept going between 11:00-11:02 today :angry:

Have some respect!!

• Sad 1

23 minutes ago, jmurray01 said:

I don't like that the works WhatsApp chat kept going between 11:00-11:02 today :angry:

Have some respect!!

The 2 minutes silence wasn't publicised tbh, I only heard about it on the news this evening.  :sad:

5 hours ago, Stoney871 said:

Had a call earlier from my parents, a fire engine has driven into their car while it was parked outside their house.

I feel sorry for the guy whose house burnt down while they were exchanging insurance details. :unsure:

Hope it gets sorted asap though!

• Like 1

I feel sorry for the guy whose house burnt down while they were exchanging insurance details. unsure.png
Hope it gets sorted asap though!

Stopped by just now for a quick look, osf wheel & wing are shoved forward and front bumper nesrly ripped off.
Only thing I can think caused it is they swerved to avoid someone passing the multiple cars that their neighbours always park opposite my parents (on double yellow lines by a mini roundabout which I have warned them about numerous times).
If I find they were causing a dangerous obstruction at the time I'll make sure my traffic mate makes another appearance but this time on their doorstep.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

• Like 5

I don't like the heat today...had forgotten what it was like to have to peel my back off the chair every time I get up. :ermm:  

If the weather forecast is correct, I'll be complaining about the cold again tomorrow! :laugh: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don’t like the effect lockdown is having on my wallet! Keep ordering little bits for the car to make it perfect! Buying up the bits to do a Sync 3 retrofit at some point!

• Like 3

21 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

The 2 minutes silence wasn't publicised tbh, I only heard about it on the news this evening.  :sad:

It shouldn't need to be though, and even when somebody did mention it they just got ignored.  The worst thing is one of the managers is married to someone in the military!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, jmurray01 said:

It shouldn't need to be though, and even when somebody did mention it they just got ignored.  The worst thing is one of the managers is married to someone in the military!

I didn't even know it was a bank holiday until Wednesday.  As it's a new thing it really should've been publicised more imo.  Especially this year when everyone's minds have been on Corona.  It'd be different if it was an established yearly event like 11/11. 

5 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

I didn't even know it was a bank holiday until Wednesday.  As it's a new thing it really should've been publicised more imo.  Especially this year when everyone's minds have been on Corona.  It'd be different if it was an established yearly event like 11/11.

Things have obviously been muted and if the virus wasn't happening then everything would have been far more prominent. At work my colleagues were dealing with various events that were being planned to take place on or near to the highway (parades etc.) and things even got a bit awkward with a small Parish wanting to close a major through road and comparing it to when they had celebrated the event 30 years ago.

I believe that the alternative plan now for a lot of those events that were to take place and were cancelled is for something in October or November later in the year.

• Like 1

I don't like when people who you have talked to for quite a while suddenly decide they no longer want to talk to you, offer no explanations as to why and then block you. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club