Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

What Am I Doing...

jmurray01

I haven't upgraded fully to windows 10 yet: I've got it running on virtual machine, on this PC.

Unfortunately, 95% of the software I use on a day to day basis, is incompatible. Some of it won't run on windows 7, for that matter: and runs off Windows XP - although it was written for Windows 2000

Yes, I could upgrade my software but then I'm looking at quite a costly exercise, across nine daily PCs, four occaisional PCs and three laptops.

If ain't broke etc......curiously enough, I know of a local publisher who is still running Windows NT with no plans to upgrade

For the home user and the new start-up business, I think with Windows 10, Microsoft have got it right. Even if it seems to agree with argument, that every other windows, is what the previous should've been :P

I should add, before anyone points it out, that the Windows XP PC is a standalone machine, and not networked to the others.

Tthereby eliminating the risk of unauthorised incursions to the rest of my network, through XP specific exploits :)

• Like 1

I run XP Pro within VMWare so that I can keep Microcat going (doesn't run properly on 64bit).

I run XP Pro within VMWare so that I can keep Microcat going (doesn't run properly on 64bit).

I've got Microcat on a Windows 7, 32bit laptop

Is yours the International/European version of Microcat?

One of my business partners (who's Polish) bought me back a copy from his homeland. It's default language is Russian. He gave me instructions, as which "russian cyrillic text " button to click, in order to change the language to English and then save my English profile. However, whenever I close it and then re-open it's back in Russian! and I have to reset it, all over again. :o

I'm wondering if he missed something off his translation but doesn't realise; not being a native Russian

I'll post up my quickstart guide to setting default language on Microcat later tonight for you.

• Like 1

I'll post up my quickstart guide to setting default language on Microcat later tonight for you.

Thanks Clive :)

im still dithering over the upgrade,my boy like it on his lappy.but im used to 7.

• Like 2

Sitting here on the Dell OptiPlex 740 I still prefer Windows Vista above both 7 and 10.

Sorry, but I do! I suppose, in a way, I can understand how Vauxhall fans feel :lol:

• Like 2

Think I'd rather drive a Vauxhall than go back to Vista... :lol: I prefer the interface of 10 over others myself but each to their own.

10 is still slow on the laptop (originally 8/8.1) though but quick on the desktop (originally 7). Both very similar specs, laptop is slightly better all round except a smaller hard drive. I'm guessing there must be a program or something upsetting it on the lappy but I have no idea what!

Possibly the AV software though, anyone having issues with AVG with win10?

I also use an XP laptop for car stuff like Pug Planet and VAGCOM etc (Ford stuff works fine on win10) and I must admit there wasn't really anything 'wrong' with XP, even now lol.

• Like 1

See most people, like you, say 10 is fast and it is on my older desktop, I just can't work out why it's really bogged down the laptop! :(

Think I'd rather drive a Vauxhall than go back to Vista... :lol: I prefer the interface of 10 over others myself but each to their own.

10 is still slow on the laptop (originally 8/8.1) though but quick on the desktop (originally 7). Both very similar specs, laptop is slightly better all round except a smaller hard drive. I'm guessing there must be a program or something upsetting it on the lappy but I have no idea what!

Possibly the AV software though, anyone having issues with AVG with win10?

I also use an XP laptop for car stuff like Pug Planet and VAGCOM etc (Ford stuff works fine on win10) and I must admit there wasn't really anything 'wrong' with XP, even now lol.

Have you looked at what services are running that you don't actually use, on your laptop? Switching them to manual start rather than automatic (windows default position), and if you're confident that you know what they are, and you know you'll never need them - disabling them altogether.

I put it on my laptop as a clean install. I tryed to do my son one with just a upgrade

but it ran slow so took his back to day one and it now runs faster but that was just mine

can say if it would be the same on others

Sitting here on the Dell OptiPlex 740 I still prefer Windows Vista above both 7 and 10.

Sorry, but I do! I suppose, in a way, I can understand how Vauxhall fans feel :lol:

Although to be fair, Vauxhall fans aren't running Vista : they're running Windows Me :P

Although to be fair, Vauxhall fans aren't running Vista : they're running Windows Me :P

True, and smoking Richmond Superkings drinking Tesco Value lager.

Have you looked at what services are running that you don't actually use, on your laptop? Switching them to manual start rather than automatic (windows default position), and if you're confident that you know what they are, and you know you'll never need them - disabling them altogether.

I don't know much about computing tbf, certainly not enough to be confident about changing anything that seems 'major'. Looks like a clean install might help though, I'll think about that. :)

Commodore 64 more like

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC mobile app

excellent machines for the time,one of the 1st proper office jobbies.

more like the vic 20.

• Like 1

I don't know much about computing tbf, certainly not enough to be confident about changing anything that seems 'major'. Looks like a clean install might help though, I'll think about that. :)

It's best not to mess with it, if your not confident about.

Black Viper's site goes into a lot detail about windows services and which are needed; but the link I've got for it is no longer valid. I'll see if I can find where it's gone.

Do clean install and then take it from there

It may be AVG as you previously suggested, I stopped using AVG when it started to get bloated. I mainly use Comodo, but I've got Avast on a couple PCs though

i use avira and spybot.all free to download.

I've always been a big fan of Avira. Used it for over 7 years and I've never had a system go down due to a virus yet.

Have 10 on my laptop and 7 on the PC.

Don't like 10 at all.

I would roll the laptop back to 7 but left it too long and it's now permanent :(

I thought that on my laptop and after month I thought that's it, but on my laptop there was a hidden partition with back up image of original windows 8.1 that came with laptop. So even after 3 months I was able to go back. Then when I did, I then decided I did like 10 after all. Lol
  • Like 1

Most laptops have a hidden partition with an image of the original installation, I've found.

Avira's a good one too

• Like 1

up graded to 10 few months back big mistake so went back to 8 happy days :lamo:

My only bug bear with W10 is that it now refers to all programs as "apps"

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club