Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fault, any ideas?

Ianb

If I take the egr off, can the car be manoeuvred? Just wondering if I can tinker with it, then drive it back to its parking space midway through..

I find the Mr muscle stuff works well but any oven cleaner will soak and remove all the built up carbon. 

5 hours ago, Ianb said:

Bit of sly product placement there haha

other car forum's swear by mr muscle

6 hours ago, Ianb said:

If I take the egr off, can the car be manoeuvred? Just wondering if I can tinker with it, then drive it back to its parking space midway through..

Technically yes but it's not ideal...

Basically you'll be sucking unfiltered air into the intake.  Will also blow a bit of a exhaust but that's less of an issue as long as you're not breathing it in lol.  It'll be in limp mode but should still run.

Ah ok thanks Tom, (and everyone else).

Given the weather I might try and work on it at small intervals, but it'd be handy to roll it nearby when I get a chance. Won't be moving it far, not more than 50m's, so blowing exhaust won't be too much of an issue haha..

• Like 2

Do I need to remove valve and egr cooler thing? Metal cylinder?

Ian this might be some use.

I've just scanned these relevant pages from my Haynes Manual.

Albeit with some difficulty, as the manual is too thick for my scanner. As a result the EGR cooler pdf is upside down, as that was the only way to fit the manual in the scanner.for that page.:lol:

EGR cooler.pdf

EGR removal.pdf

Thanks Ghana, on my phone atm, at shop looking for Mr muscle >.> removed the egr valve but not cylinder, so far...

if your not blanking , and just cleaning, then you will need to remove cooler as well to make sure thats not blocked up with carbon too.

Ah OK, well I'll leave it in place then :)

Btw, after spraying with Mr muscle, how do I clean it out? Damp cloth then let dry?

Or can I run some warm water through it? :s

No issue running water through it in my book. That's how I did mine just make sure it is fully dry once done. We already know it is seized anyway so won't do any more harm. 

Just my opinion of course. 

okiii, didn't put water in it, but does the Mr Muscle just disappear? I've tried sticking fingers in and wiping as best I could, but it's bit too fiddly for most fingers..

Hmmm, two opposite views... need an informed tie breaker?

The issue will be getting EGR crud all over the sink...it literally gets everywhere...  :laugh: 

Scrape the stuff out with a small screwdriver or similar. 

Water wont damage it but you'd be better off running something like petrol through which strips it clean and evaporates quickly.

i need help please

In fact failing petrol either carb cleaner, brake cleaner or surgical spirit as its alcohol and they will all evaporate quickly.

• Like 1

hmmm, wonder if the garage would mind me sticking the nozzle into it on the forecourt :lol:

• Like 1

I take it you don't have a can laying around for a petrol mower then? :laugh: 

On the subject of garage though...  I wonder if a local repair garage would clean it in their paraffin parts washer for you for a tenner or something?  If not, any of Simons suggestions are fine.  Carb cleaner comes in a can under about 500psi of pressure so is good for blasting stuff clean! 

39 minutes ago, simcor said:

In fact failing petrol either carb cleaner, brake cleaner or surgical spirit as its alcohol and they will all evaporate quickly.

Laser printer paper path cleaner, which iso-propyl alcohol is another good one

• Like 1

Sooooo would methylated spirit or white spirit be ok?

Both should be fine will evaporate pretty quickly meths will evaporate quicker though and should not cause any harm.

I'm going to hunt you all down and urinate on you in your sleep!

I've just spent countless hours under the bonnet trying to get at those RIDICULOUS Clic clips!!!!! I MEAN MY LORD WHY WOULD ANYONE DESIGN THEM! One at one end of the egr cooler, (the furthest from the valve) took about umm idk, 1-2 hours of struggling to get on, the other end is still not on, I gave up, my tool bag isn't deep enough to find something small enough with enough guts to squeeze it shut!, I ended up leaving it unclipped and cable tying round it to keep it from getting lost - the egr unit/valve whatever the **** it's called was put back on, gasket, blanking plate..... low and behold:

P0490 - Exhaust gas recirculation control circuit high

P042F - EGR control stuck closed :angry::wallbash::wallbash:

So I dunno what to do... I reset the codes, ran it for a bit, turned it off, turned it on... checked codes... reappeared etc...

So tempted to stick a jar of petrol inside and light a fuse!

So shattered, shaved knuckled, aching and still result not achieved!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club