Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Superchips Bluefin - Worth it or not?

i2

Thanks Ian for that bit of information, good advice especially for those 1.0 Ecoboost owners coming up for their first MOT test at three years old.

On 26 March 2016 at 10:53 AM, i2 said:

I can answer that right away. 100 percent worth it (depending on make and model)

I have the 140PS Red Edition, and after having a bluefin installed (takes about 15 mins) it now glues me to my seat everytime i put my foot down.

2nd gear has gone from the most disappointing gear to the absolute best, and there is a huge increase in torque which in turn makes the car respond faster and harder.

It varies on the gains from car to car, just check their website (http://www.superchips.co.uk/) but is probably the best 330 quid i've spent on a car.

Hey All,

iv also got a 140 black edition and I'm looking to get the bluefin superchips which increases the BHP by 37 and the torque by 77,

is it really worth it ? I'm a little scared about all these people saying its a crazy amount of strain on a 1.0 and the engine won't last as long but on the other hand super chips are a very trusted company and therefor they only up you BHP and torque within the safety permitter of your car therefor ramping it is fine.

I have read so many reviews about doing it for this car and iv seen such good feedback.

has anyone had any problems or is there anything i should consider before remaping ? there are a lot of people telling me i need to upgrade my exhaust, intercooler and intake before remapping or in blow up my engine,

iv already upgraded to a K&N panel filter months ago which is very good a must say and feels like its added a little BHP if not only 1-2 haha.

any feedback would be great thanks.

19 minutes ago, Voilex said:

iv also got a 140 black edition and I'm looking to get the bluefin superchips which increases the BHP by 37 and the torque by 77,

has anyone had any problems or is there anything i should consider before remaping ? there are a lot of people telling me i need to upgrade my exhaust, intercooler and intake before remapping or in blow up my engine,

It is interesting that the Mountune tune requires a new intercooler and lots of hoses to achieve 165PS from the 125PS base engine, yet Superchips get 156PS from only a tune, and 177PS from only a tune on the 140PS base engine. Is the Bluefin simply a more aggressive tune, or the Mountune very conservative (while selling more equipment)?  I've wondered if the Bluefin tune would get even more power with a Mountune intercooler upgrade?  A pity there is not a Bluefin Stage 2 tune. 

33 minutes ago, ThaiFiesta said:

It is interesting that the Mountune tune requires a new intercooler and lots of hoses to achieve 165PS from the 125PS base engine, yet Superchips get 156PS from only a tune, and 177PS from only a tune on the 140PS base engine. Is the Bluefin simply a more aggressive tune, or the Mountune very conservative (while selling more equipment)?  I've wondered if the Bluefin tune would get even more power with a Mountune intercooler upgrade?  A pity there is not a Bluefin Stage 2 tune. 

its weird because i popped into ford cobham on the saturday and two of the great lads working there both have ST's, one payed around 500 for a moutune upgrade with all the hoses and stuff to get it up to 215Hbp ( same as one of my mates, so i have a rough idea on what it feels like) where as the other had the bog standard ST 2 and purchased a bluefin super chips tune which gave him 220 BHP , the guy took me out in his ST(bluefin) and OMFG it was insane, i have driven an ST but this was something else, it had only given it a bit for BHP but a sh*t tone of torque more and seriously.. you could feel it. 

its also better on fuel because the engine doesn't have as work to hard getting up to speed with more torque lower in the re range. 

he did say because the tune is greater, if he was to add parts like an exhaust, intercooler and new intake, it would be insane.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Voilex said:

Hey All,

is it really worth it ? I'm a little scared about all these people saying its a crazy amount of strain on a 1.0 and the engine won't last as long but on the other hand super chips are a very trusted company and therefor they only up you BHP and torque within the safety permitter of your car therefor ramping it is fine.

I have read so many reviews about doing it for this car and iv seen such good feedback.

iv already upgraded to a K&N panel filter months ago which is very good a must say and feels like its added a little BHP if not only 1-2 haha.

any feedback would be great thanks.

I have a reset Bluefin (for the ecoboost) for sale on eBay at the moment..

17 hours ago, ThaiFiesta said:

Mountune upgrades don't invalidate Ford Warranties.

I suspect the additional parts are to play into that. Giving the impression that to do a safe 'remap' you need to de-stress bits of the engine. A bit like they don't advertise that the 2.0TDCi 150PS and 180PS in the Mondeo are identical bar the installed map. I wish Mountune did Diesel upgrades though.

10 minutes ago, goldtail77 said:

Mountune upgrades don't invalidate Ford Warranties.

Not true I'm afraid. The MR165 upgrade is not Ford warranty friendly.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dfriel2 said:

Not true I'm afraid. The MR165 upgrade is not Ford warranty friendly.

Happy to stand corrected.

• 2 weeks later...

So.... What's the latest? After reading about Alan (Taeasz) and his failing MOT emissions or something or other then receiving a second map by blue fin? Is it worth it or not. Anyone else had the problem? 

22 hours ago, Cookey09 said:

So.... What's the latest? After reading about Alan (Taeasz) and his failing MOT emissions or something or other then receiving a second map by blue fin? Is it worth it or not. Anyone else had the problem? 

I'm still loving mine, but I still haven't yet had it on a dyno to check the figures. Seems none of the dyno companies here need the $$$ as they are not responding 😞. I am thinking of upgrading my intercooler though, due to the always hot and humid conditions here. 

Good to hear! Have you tried ringing them? Or visiting them face to face? Most don't respond to e-mails... 

Let us know how you get on. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have recently sold my Fiesta Titanium Ecoboost 125PS  and restored my vehicle map to stock before sale. As I had bought my Bluefin unit less than 12 months ago Superchips agreed to reset and blank the handset, which they have done, (emails available to confirm), and it is now good to use on another Ecoboost engined car.

The unit is as new, boxed with all leads etc. and is marked product code BF-06- FORDE-T. and is labelled for Ecoboost 1.0 100PS, 125PS, 1.6 150PS, 182PS, ST Mk3 2.0 250PS.

If anyone is interested please PM me. I also have a new unused full size spare wheel and Continental tyre, jack, wheelbrace kit, etc.

• Like 1

On 11/16/2016 at 3:56 PM, Taeasz said:

I have recently sold my Fiesta Titanium Ecoboost 125PS  and restored my vehicle map to stock before sale. As I had bought my Bluefin unit less than 12 months ago Superchips agreed to reset and blank the handset, which they have done, (emails available to confirm), and it is now good to use on another Ecoboost engined car.

The unit is as new, boxed with all leads etc. and is marked product code BF-06- FORDE-T. and is labelled for Ecoboost 1.0 100PS, 125PS, 1.6 150PS, 182PS, ST Mk3 2.0 250PS.

If anyone is interested please PM me. I also have a new unused full size spare wheel and Continental tyre, jack, wheelbrace kit, etc.

price?

• 1 year later...

Restarting a very old thread here but looking at remapping my Black edition. I will probably fit some sort of induction kit or intake beforehand (Forge or Airtec I'm looking at so far), just a little worried about reliability of the engine afterwards as 170bhp from a 1l engine sounds a little mad to me. It would also void my warranty but I can't justify the prices of the mountune stuff... 

How has everyone got on with remapping to the bluefin tune? Has MPG changed a lot? Any feedback would be appreciated 

If you check with Superchips they will let you know what is a safe power boost.
They won't set any levels that are likely to cause reliability issues.
A remap is a balance between power and economy so fuel consumption can increase a bit but you have to accept a trade off for more bhp.
I've run a Bluefin remap on 2 consecutive cars now with no problems and highly recommend them.

Sent from my SM-G965F (S9+)

• Like 1

Ive had Blufin installed on all my Fords for the past 20 years inc Mk1/2 Focus RS's without any issues.

The latest install has been on  a 2012 Fiesta 1.6 Tdci 95ps version. It has transformed the driving experience. Power is now approaching 120bhp with loads more torque.

Just remember to return to the standard map if the car goes back into Ford for any work. They usually check to see if theres a software update and this will overwrite the Superchips map.

• Like 2

On 8/23/2018 at 12:14 PM, MidsPompey said:

Ive had Blufin installed on all my Fords for the past 20 years inc Mk1/2 Focus RS's without any issues.

The latest install has been on  a 2012 Fiesta 1.6 Tdci 95ps version. It has transformed the driving experience. Power is now approaching 120bhp with loads more torque.

Just remember to return to the standard map if the car goes back into Ford for any work. They usually check to see if theres a software update and this will overwrite the Superchips map.

Won't they charge me to put it back to standard and then put the map on again?

The map will be on a handset so you can put it on & take it off as often as you like.

You can of course remove the map entirely from your car.

I did this once when i had to leave my car in the long stay carpark at Gatwick for a couple of weeks. Yes, someone could tow it away, but its certainly not being driven away !!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You can of course remove the map entirely from your car.
I did this once when i had to leave my car in the long stay carpark at Gatwick for a couple of weeks. Yes, someone could tow it away, but its certainly not being driven away !!
That's a feature I like too.
Pity it only puts the standard map on so you have to redo the map swap after.

16 hours ago, Stoney871 said:

That's a feature I like too.
Pity it only puts the standard map on so you have to redo the map swap after.

That doesn't sound right.

I've used the immobilise feature a few times on my Mondeo and every time I've come back to it the Superchips map is what's been reloaded straight away.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone gone for bluefin on a mk8 140ps 1.0 ecoboost? Is it worthwhile and easy?

Thanks