Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus mk2.5 bonnet problem

WES180

Hi everyone. My dad brought his car round for me to have a look at the windscreen washers not working. I didnt even get that far as the bonnet wouldnt open. After reading a post on here i eventually got it open but i think i have a different problem to whats been previously talked about. The bowden rod has now been removed and the white plastic cross piece at the lock mechanism end rotates fine with the key. If you put any resistance on the cross though (same as the lock mechanism does) the key wont turn it, the key turns but the plastic cross doesnt. Are these known to snap inside the plastic outer housing behind where the cross locates into? You cant take it apart to see whats happening. Ive seen this kit if no one has a fix for it or can advise what im doing wrong. Cheers.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162001866882

20161211_141602.jpg

20161211_141550.jpg

Anyone? Come on people, ive been stood on my driveway with my dads car in bits for over 15hrs now waiting for an answer, its getting a bit cold! :laugh:

Ok, that was a lie. Ive left the bowden cable off and closed the bonnet for now as you can open it with a long screwdriver. 

Ive ordered a new cable as listed above. The only thing im not sure of is if you put the white cross into the end of the cable first and then push into the lock or put it into the lock and push the cable onto it? It does seem a bit fiddly, unless i was struggling because ours is broken?

It's a terrible design tbh.  They can snap but mine did exact my the same and worked again after.  The grill pushes it backwards to hold it altogether, even 1mm pulling forwards and it disconnects which is why I gave up trying to fit the aftermarket grill that kept pulling it out lol.

• Like 1

A lot of people faced with this persistent design flaw, upgrade the the little white cross piece with this, having had it fail at the most inconvenient of times/or places once too often.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-FORD-Focus-C-Max-2004-2011-Bonnet-Lock-Catch-Cable-Clip-UPGRADE-PART/252245489448?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D38661%26meid%3Db6ce97ab4720414589174bcf4362083f%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D6%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D162001866882

However, in doing so, you've effectively removed the anti-tamper part of it.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, GMX said:

A lot of people faced with this persistent design flaw, upgrade the the little white cross piece with this, having had it fail at the most inconvenient of times/or places once too often.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-FORD-Focus-C-Max-2004-2011-Bonnet-Lock-Catch-Cable-Clip-UPGRADE-PART/252245489448?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D38661%26meid%3Db6ce97ab4720414589174bcf4362083f%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D6%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D162001866882

However, in doing so, you've effectively removed the anti-tamper part of it.

I shown my dad but he doesnt want to lose the anti-tamper! Do you know where the OE cross goes first, in the lock or in the end of the bowden cable or doesnt it matter?

It doesn't matter as long as it's all pushed together tight.

You don't lose security really as it still needs either the key, or the grill yanked off and a large screwdriver.  Besides doesn't everyone steal cars through OBD now anyway, who's pulling grills off!? :laugh:

• Like 1

Ha. Ive already got that saved in my favourites thanks. Found it last night and it looks very useful for building up the cylinder. :smile:

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

It doesn't matter as long as it's all pushed together tight.

You don't lose security really as it still needs either the key, or the grill yanked off and a large screwdriver.  Besides doesn't everyone steal cars through OBD now anyway, who's pulling grills off!? :laugh:

My dad is one of those that wouldnt be able to resist informing his insurance that he has modified his car and it is now missing the anti-tamper feature that it was built with!:wacko:

I removed the whole lock assembly from my car to ease reassembly, and greased the hell out of it to get the cross to clip back in. The cable has to be in the right orientation. Any rotation of the cable/lock body, or pulling forces applied, will see the cross come loose again. 

Pain in the rear!

Maybe my dads cross is worn then as its not hard at all to clip in. Theres a new one in the kit on its way though so will see what its like. I noticed both ends are different on the cross too. Still a cross but different tabs?

16 hours ago, WES180 said:

I noticed both ends are different on the cross too. Still a cross but different tabs?

If you view the video posted earlier you can see the difference and which way round it should go.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mjt said:

If you view the video posted earlier you can see the difference and which way round it should go.

I will have a look thanks. You can push ours in either way so wasnt sure.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club