Do Not Sell My Personal Information

HELP! In the middle of Fuel filter change....

Albert27

9 minutes ago, iantt said:

this is what any diesel focus owner could do with, it fits between your primer and fuel line to high pressure fuel pump. so when priming your pushing any air through to pump and out the return pipe to tank. makes priming a doddle to do on 1.6tdci mk2 and mk3 . made it up out some old dpf fluid kit, and a high pressure fuel blanking off kit . drilled hole through the purple blank. fits perfectly. also good for 1.8 tdci on the return connector on pump(with purple blank off )  to suck air out of system 

1483188982618.jpg

1483189182963.jpg

You should get that patented.  I'd buy one ;)

• Like 1

You have my sympathy, as I have experienced exactly this difficulty priming my 1.8tdci. The way I now do it is to replace the filter in the housing with the new one and then top up to the brim with fuel. I then introduce fuel very carefully into the rigid plastic inlet pipe to the pump using a  small jug with a little spout. You've got to pour slowly to allow air to come out of the pipe as you fill it up. Once this pipe is full I get an assistant to blow compressed air into the fuel filler (at the rear of the car- where you normally put fuel in). To make a good seal around the airline into the filler neck I wrap a damp cotton rag - this way you can pressurise the tank just enough to force fuel through without overpressurising and doing damage. Whilst my assistant is pressurising the fuel tank I am holding a jug under the pipe that comes from the outlet side of the fuel filter. Once the fuel is flowing bubble free, I reconnect this pipe to the pipe to the pipe I previously filled that goes to the high pressure pump. Keep the fuel flowing whilst reconnecting these pipes. 

This seems like a faff, but I always get mine to start this way. It's much better than all the time and frustration I had the first time I changed my fuel filter. I hope the gentleman above who is a novice mechanic isn't put off by his experience of changing the filter. It is a tricky job to get the engine started unless you know how to reprime the system. 

And as the other gentleman said regarding dirt, take care to work clean when priming the inlet to the pump with a jug. Scrupulously clean. 

Good luck with it.

David  

• Like 1

UPDATE:

Success!!!

After trying Peter's idea to pump diesel into the injector pump, i could hear noises coming from pipes up by the injectors but still no success on starting (i don't if it was sucked back when i pulled off the priming tube and replaced the inlet/outlet).  Anyway as planned, i picked up a tow rope this morning from eurocarparts and my Dad popped over and gave me a tug.  5th attempt to bring the clutch up and a bit of gas she fired into life!  Given her a hard drive, switched off, back on, all good!  

Can I just ask; is there any downside to starting a car like this with a tug after a fuel filter change?  It started so easily I'm wondering on whether one could do this every time.

Thanks for all the advice and help. This flipin forum is invaluable and one reason I'll probably only buy fords from now on.  

1 hour ago, DavidShinn said:

You have my sympathy, as I have experienced exactly this difficulty priming my 1.8tdci. The way I now do it is to replace the filter in the housing with the new one and then top up to the brim with fuel. I then introduce fuel very carefully into the rigid plastic inlet pipe to the pump using a  small jug with a little spout. You've got to pour slowly to allow air to come out of the pipe as you fill it up. Once this pipe is full I get an assistant to blow compressed air into the fuel filler (at the rear of the car- where you normally put fuel in). To make a good seal around the airline into the filler neck I wrap a damp cotton rag - this way you can pressurise the tank just enough to force fuel through without overpressurising and doing damage. Whilst my assistant is pressurising the fuel tank I am holding a jug under the pipe that comes from the outlet side of the fuel filter. Once the fuel is flowing bubble free, I reconnect this pipe to the pipe to the pipe I previously filled that goes to the high pressure pump. Keep the fuel flowing whilst reconnecting these pipes. 

This seems like a faff, but I always get mine to start this way. It's much better than all the time and frustration I had the first time I changed my fuel filter. I hope the gentleman above who is a novice mechanic isn't put off by his experience of changing the filter. It is a tricky job to get the engine started unless you know how to reprime the system. 

And as the other gentleman said regarding dirt, take care to work clean when priming the inlet to the pump with a jug. Scrupulously clean. 

Good luck with it.

David  

Hi David,

I think it's a complete housing on the 1.6 so you can't actually fill it up like you can on the 1.8 which makes it more annoying.

This Novice Mechanic got re inspired when she fired back into life - an unorthodox fix i guess for a fuel filter non starter, but hey ho it's a good feeling!!

Thanks for the input.

David

4 minutes ago, Albert27 said:

UPDATE:

Success!!!

After trying Peter's idea to pump air into the injector pump, i could hear noises coming from pipes up by the injectors but still no success on starting (i don't if it was sucked back when i pulled off the priming tube and replaced the inlet/outlet).  Anyway as planned, i picked up a tow rope this morning from eurocarparts and my Dad popped over and gave me a tug.  5th attempt to bring the clutch up and a bit of gas she fired into life!  Given her a hard drive, switched off, back on, all good!  

Can I just ask; is there any downside to starting a car like this with a tug after a fuel filter change?  It started so easily I'm wondering on whether one could do this every time.

Thanks for all the advice and help. This flipin forum is invaluable and one reason I'll probably only buy fords from now on.  

Good Ol tug round the block works great not sure of any downsides probably not too bad since you're not doing it so often, a lot of the garages near me do it as well. Glad you got it working :D

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ryan_Tango said:

Good Ol tug round the block works great not sure of any downsides probably not too bad since you're not doing it so often, a lot of the garages near me do it as well. Glad you got it working :D

Top man!  Thanks Ryan

depending where in worcestershire you are,next time just borrow my pipe. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, iantt said:

depending where in worcestershire you are,next time just borrow my pipe. 

Ooh-err missus :lol: 

10 minutes ago, stef123 said:

Ooh-err missus :lol: 

thought you would be loitering about  .lol

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, iantt said:

thought you would be loitering about  .lol

Not anywhere near your pipe though lol

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Albert27 said:

is there any downside to starting a car like this with a tug after a fuel filter change?

One possible big downside is it might be quite easy to bump into the towing car if you are a bit slow putting in the clutch, or press the throttle too much!

Not really suitable for automatic transmissions either.

I would not advise it after a fuel pump change or similar unless it had been well primed with diesel, spinning an un-lubricated pump up to normal speed could damage it. Also do not use it as a substitute for trying to fill the filter, for the same reason. But to shift a stubborn little air pocket in the pump, it should be fine.

Glad to hear you got it working. I remember how frustrating it was for me 4 years ago.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tdci-Peter said:

Not really suitable for automatic transmissions either.

Not wishing to correct or be pedantic but and auto should never be towed without the drive wheels suspended off the road.

think peter was just pointing out auto trans vehicles wont work that way due to engine not turning over.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, iantt said:

think peter was just pointing out auto trans vehicles wont work that way due to engine not turning over.

Probably he was just thought it was worth adding for people who may read it differently, I.e it's not advisable to do could be read as it can be done when it's not really an option. 

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club