Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2010 Focus - Both side lamps not working!

AlexMack86

4 hours ago, AlexMack86 said:

Hi guys.

Need to re-visit this as I'm still in the same situation! ...any tech support greatly appreciated.

Just to summarise the issue:

• All my lights are operational
  • Main beam and side lights are sufficiently bright
  • Dipped headlights are DANGEROUSLY dim - i.e. can't see

Since previous correspondence I have replaced the battery, problem still persists. Also tried tapping the relay block but this didn't appear to affect the lights (no flicker). I tested the voltage at the bulb fixing and reading 12.4VDC so all good right? 

Does anyone know where in the chassis the earth points are for the dipped headlights?

Do the dipped headlights share a common earth?

Thanks in advance for input.

Alex

12.4V with engine running or stopped? Have you checked the main battery ground strap?

10 hours ago, AlexMack86 said:
  • Main beam and side lights are sufficiently bright
  • Dipped headlights are DANGEROUSLY dim - i.e. can't see

Since previous correspondence I have replaced the battery, problem still persists. Also tried tapping the relay block but this didn't appear to affect the lights (no flicker). I tested the voltage at the bulb fixing and reading 12.4VDC

12.4v at the fitting sounds a little low if the engine is running. I would expect to see at least 14v at the battery (after recovering from starting, and with no heavy loads like screen heaters). This will be a bit lower at the light fitting due to cable drops, but 1.6v of drop is on the high side. However, 12.4v should be enough to get 80% or more of full brightness.

One simple thing is the headlamp alignment. Or even just the manual light leveling control, if you have one. If the lamps are pointing too low, you will have very poor visibility, even if the brightness is ok. I think most Foci apart from HIDs have a manual leveling control for heavy loads. Check it is fully up!

Also that the bulbs are exactly properly located in the reflectors.

Are the headlights officially dim, are they dimmer than another focus of the same age and bulb type when sat side by side? Or is it your opinion that they are dim? I only ask because I personally feel the lights on the focus and Mondeo are pretty dim but that is across the board and Ford say that the output I have issues with is standard and of no concern to them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

The 12.4v was tested when the ignition was on but without engine running. I will test again with the engine running and revert back with result.

I do think the ring terminal on the battery ground strap looks a little corroded and dirty so will try snipping that off, re-terminating, and testing the voltage at the bulb connector again.

I’ve just had the car in at Halfords all day to see if they had any luck, they’re useless. Away to go collect it now, in a snow blizzard! 

Thanks again for the thoughts and recommendations folks.

2 hours ago, AlexMack86 said:

car in at Halfords all day to see if they had any luck, they’re useless

Halfords & Useless in the same sentence? ohmy.png

You are not the first person I have heard say that, and no doubt will not be the last laugh.pnglaugh.png.

12.4v sounds pretty good for engine off. I still suspect alignment or leveling problems.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club