Do Not Sell My Personal Information

'03 StreetKa Luxury CD Changer Error

Drummer85

Hi folks,

My first post on the forum, so hello!

I have a 2003 StreetKa Luxury with what I believe to be the stock CD changer fitted. I've not had the car long, but haven't been able to use the CD changer because it gives me an error as soon as I select the CD mode, then flicks back to the radio. I've tried inserting a CD, but it gives the same error, so I wonder if it's something like a CD stuck in the unit or whether it could be a fault which stops the CD mode from activating altogether.

I'm totally clueless with stereo units, so any help would be much appreciated. Practical help would be a huge bonus; I live in Coventry and would be willing to pay someone to sort this out for me, so long as it's not a fortune.

Failing that, would it be an economical option to change the unit for another one?

Cheers.

Hi welcome, Im fairly new to the forum too, which one is it, is it the cd 6000 - single cd player or the later cd 6006 - 6 cd changer ?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Which ever one it is, Don't go to ford they will charge you a fortune, I'd try a local car audio dealer, or you could get another one from eBay for about £43 but the 6006 can be problematic due to being an internal changer, it rather depends on if you want have the multi changer facility or if you just live with one cd at a time, in which case you could by a cd 6000 single cd player from eBay for about £23, which are much less problematic or go the whole hog and buy a brand new modern system - of course for this you would have to buy a single din facia plate as modern plyers are mostly single din - and you can't fit the double din in the Ka as you can't buy a double din facia plate for the Ka.
There is a video on you tube of a left hand drive me with a double din facia, but we're that came from I don't know as I've tried everywhere inc internet - there is a rumer however that it was bought from eBay but the person selling them got kicked of ebay for selling dodgy gear.
Good luck

Sorry it should say left hand drive KA with a double din facia.
The 6006 multi changer was an optional extra when new, and as far as I'm aware the only ka to make full use of this unit was the street ka - as it was advertised in the brochure that the Sport KA had parcel shelf Speakers if you bought the 6006 but I bought one as an extra with my new Sport KA in 2005 and when the car was delivered there were no Speakers in the rear shelf, I got ford to fit me some though as it was a clear breach of trade descriptions.
The Street Ka though had rear Speakers as standard in the back panal behind The seats.
You can buy a single din facia for about £10 tops from ebay/amazon, the 6006 is a great multi player but like I said it can be problematic also of course no bluetooth or mp3 comparability with this vintage.
I've got the single cd 6000 in my 2007 Sport KA, but i intend to upgrade to a single din with a flip screen which if you want a good one, will cost around £400-£500 for a pioneer.

Mind you if you do decide to spend that sort of money on your Street Ka the money could be better spent on a power upgrade for the engine, I upgraded mine with a Steve Wyndom Racing kit £641 which brings the power up to 120bhp wilth 150Nm torque well worth it as even the 1.6 duratech is well under powered or if you don't want to go for the full kit just buy the 4-2-1 racing exhaust manifold for about £250, and get yourself a free flow exhaust system fitted plus a sports cat - the exhaust should cost about £150-£180 but this is standard rolled steel as a stainless steel exhaust system - will cost around £400, the cat will be about £90 - eBay plus 2 lamba wiring extensions - Puma Speed £30 each.

Thanks for all the info there! As I mentioned, it is definitely the changer. I think I'll have a go at removing it and 'fixing' it myself, if it's a jammed disc then surely it would be a relatively simple fix.

As for performance upgrades, I think I'll leave it for now, as my insurance is crazy as it is right now and I'm not overly interested in performance at the moment. If I'm going to spend any real money on it, I'll need to sort the rear window out, as it is badly frosted and cracked. With that said, I would like a sound system that worked with bluetooth, as most of my music is stuck in Spotify. I had a Jag before (I know, mega downgrade, sorry, but it is... desperate times and all that) and it had an excellent changer as standard. I made a load of discs from my 'Driving Music' playlist on Spotify, which goes on for hours, and made do with that for long journeys. One disc at a time would annoy the bejeebus out of me; I'd rather drive in silence... something I'm having to get used to, as I'm going in for a chauffeur job and, as chauffeurs, we're not allowed to have music playing unless our clients request it.

Driving in silence isn't all that bad though, so we'll see. I don't like the majority of the rubbish put over the airwaves, so the radio is a no-go.

Another thing to mention about this car, unrelated to the sound system: I have a tinny rattle on occasion and I'm thinking that one of the exhaust mountings has come undone, or perhaps it's a piece of buckled heat shielding. Are these simple enough to put right? The sound is a lot like a tubular metallic clang, not overly loud but noticeable.

Wow that is a step backwards from a jag.
Yes your rattle could be your heat sheild - they are prone to come off as they break off- but here's the problem, they can't be welded so you d have to find something sticky like silicone or builders fixedent to hold it on with, gum gum might do the trick, get your Ka round to somewhere like kwick fit, and get them to have a free look as it could also be one of your exhaust hanger rubbers, broke or worn, and they could fix that for you for cheaper than it would cost you to buy one.
As for your cd player, if you feel confident enough to have a look yourself then good on you, if you can't fix it then your cheapest option is a second hand one off eBay, as it sounds like that cd player is just up your street, unless you spend money on a good modern cd player.

Hope you get the cd sorted - I'd be interested to know what you find out, when you look at it - do you know you can buy the removal tools for the cd player from eBay for a couple of quid.
Just another thought on your rattle - If you do take it to kwick fit or somewhere, they will also be able to tell you if it's a bush or something else, but most likely I think itl be something do with your exhaust or heat shield, ive got a similar rattle but haven't got round to finding out what it is - oh if it is your heat shield youl have to do it yourself as exhaust/tyre places don't know what to do about the loose shield.
Good luck with that, and your new job.

Thanks a lot! Well, I got the unit out with a couple of slim screwdrivers and a microfibre cloth (I'm resourceful), but it has such tiny star drives that I don't have one small enough. Now it's even worse because it's asking for the code which I don't have, lol! I hate these things!

Go into your nearest Ford service reception - explain you've lost the radio code - give them your registration number and they should have the radio code on file, which they will provide you for free.
I did the same with my Nissan Micra a few years ago.

Or - not being funny, but have you looked through all the cars paperwork it's only a small piece of folded card which says key code.
Is their any way you can contact the previous owners - they might have forgot to give it you or they might just have lost it, but if you have anyway of contacting them, it might be worth a chat.
If not, just ask ford.
Nice one getting the radio out though,

Thanks. I'll go to Ford then, it's just the same as the Jag was then.

Yes, thanks. One slot screwdriver to carefully lever the fascia, one small philips to serve as a key and the cloth is what I wadded up in the gap because one side kept popping back in when I was working on the other, lol!

I've looked in the slot but I can't see a disc or anything jammed.

Ok well I guess it's decision time then - ok you can get the code from Ford also get some more tools and have another fiddle with it, but sounds like it's got serious issues.
Decisions Decisions
1 buy another same but second hand from eBay £43.
2 spend decent money and get a brand new cd player with bluetooth & mp3 port maybe even android built in or Apple music pair.
So whats it going to be ?

Well, I wouldn't want a pricey unit in a soft-top, just asking for trouble. Might go for a used unit or just take this one out and leave a hole to make it look less appealing to break into, lol!

Yeah i know what your saying, I'd go for the second hand option, or you could see what the cheapest unit would be with bluetooth.
Sad to say even a bluetooth adapter won't work with that unit at least I don't think it would - i know some of the later units fitted to the fiesta will accept a bluetooth adapter.

I've got a high fuel pressure problem on my sport ka which is switching on the engine management light

No one seems to know what's causing it - im not sure if the Ka even has a fuel reulator, unless it's part of the fuel pump & Sender unit.

I'll take a look for crappy looking, but reasonable working units, lol! Thanks.

I've no idea about fuel issues, not a single clue!

I'm about to make a new post about leaky business...

Hope you get a suitable unit.

• 2 months later...

did you get the CD player sorted?

what error code is/was it? Error E4??

559ED53B-E61A-460F-8AAD-2132FEC36BAD.jpg

if you need to clean the lens on the CD 6006E (6 CD and says above the screen) follow these steps (you wont need the code)

1. remove the unit from the slot using the radio removal tool (eBay of ford) but DONT unplug from the car

2. use a T18 star driver (found in most cheapo multi tool sets now) and undo the 2 screws on the top back edge

3. lift up the back edge so the top cover of the radio comes off

4. press "load" on the front of the unit and watch the internals move 

5. insert a CD

6. press eject and the cd will eject. leave the cd hanging out and this will leave the laser unit in view (v small round "glass lens about 4mm across)

7. use a cotton bud and electrical contact cleaner/aftershave/vodka to quite gently clean the lens (after about 30secs the cd will be ingested again but press eject again and repeat until clean)

8. refit the top cover, do up the screws and slide back in (check the radio antenna is still connected first)

JJ

i found that the ford radios are VERY sensitive and don't like scuffed up cds much

BUT always make sure you press load before trying to force a CD in

JJ

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club