Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Concerns about 1.0 clutch durability.

anarchyx34

So I have a  2016 US-Spec 1.0 Ecoboost Fiesta with only about 2500 miles on it, and I'm starting to have some concerns about the longevity of the clutch. The problem as I see it is a combination of:

• No torque below 2k RPMS.
  • Extremely long gearing
  • Tiny clutch

I live in NYC and do mostly heavy urban driving with lots of stop and go. I've managed to overheat the clutch several times since I bought the car 4 months ago, most in normal situations such as

• Stop and go in a heavy traffic jam for extended periods 
  • Reversing up a hill (to get into a parking spot)
  • Repeatedly taking off on a steep incline (long queue for underground parking garage exit)
  • Getting un-stuck from the snow by rocking the car back and forth.

Now granted a lot of these situations are demanding on a clutch, but in my 22 years of driving I've never overheated a clutch in any of these situations. In fact I've never worn out a clutch before. The engine having very little torque at the RPM range at which one launches means you have the slip the clutch more aggressively, generating a lot more heat. I try and keep the RPMs low and just apply more throttle rather than slipping it out at over 2k. So this has been on my mind and I'm wondering how long the clutch is going to last on this car. This is only going to get worse as the warmer weather approaches since both heat and aircon use kills the torque even more.  I know the 1.0 is very popular in the UK where it is kind of a rare-bird here and London traffic is pretty similar to NYC traffic so I'm hoping some of you can either confirm my suspicions and set my mind at ease. I'm really not looking forward to battling Ford over a warranty clutch replacement. 

Not sure why you think there is no Torque below 2k rpm. The 1.0L ecoboost engine develops it's maximum torque at about 1,400 rpm and stays pretty flat at that level until about 5000 rpm.

I've only had my 140 bhp version of that engine for about 4000 miles but I can't say I've noticed any problems with the clutch operation. Then again I don't have to endure the more demanding environment you are describing apart from a very steep driveway that I reverse onto once a day at my workplace.

• Like 1

I agree with Michael.   I have an Ecoboost 100 that is coming up to 30,000 miles and never ha a problem with the clutch.   Plenty of torque low down too.

• Like 1

heavier focus with 1.0 ecoboost mapped to 140bhp, no issues with my clutch and on 52,000 miles with plenty of stop start driving , first 20k was a rental car so no doubt got abuse those miles too.

• Like 1

I abused by fiesta running over 160bhp & I forget how much torque for a few months around a town with a few runs on B roads etc. 

During my engine change I checked the condition of the clutch and it was absolutely fine. Loads of life left in it 

• Like 2

Ok maybe I'm worrying for nothing then. The only reason it's been on my mind at all is due to catching a good whiff of clutch on those occasions. 

8 hours ago, Blatto said:

Not sure why you think there is no Torque below 2k rpm. The 1.0L ecoboost engine develops it's maximum torque at about 1,400 rpm and stays pretty flat at that level until about 5000 rpm.

Not trying to be argumentative here but I'm not sure if that's correct. According to Ford the torque peak is at 2400 rpms, and by the seat of the pants I'd say it's probably true. I doubt the turbo is producing full-boost at 1400 rpms which is the only way it would reach it's peak that early. It's also the same reason when cruising in 5th gear at 45-50 mph I need to drop it down into 4th to make it up an incline without lugging the engine. It basically has nothing below 2k. Maybe the UK models are different? I actually wouldn't be surprised if you guys have shorter gearing. 

Edit: Ok I stand corrected. According to this this data sheet the torque does in fact peak at 1400 rpms at least for UK models. The US page does say 2500 rpms though so I'm thinking there may be a difference between the two. 

I'm actually curious enough now to plug my scanner in and log boost pressure at low-rpms. 

not sure if there is a difference , might just be how they present the figures. On the link you give to the data sheet it shows 170 torque remaining the same over quite a wide rev range.  1400 rpm is where that torque level begins, but 2500 rpm is roughly the mid point of the rev range where the torque figure remains at 170.

I have never driven one of these engines myself so I can not comment on what it feels like in real life

• Like 1

The long gearing is the main (perhaps only!) thing I don't like about this car. It might be good for fuel consumption figures but it sure doesn't make a comfortable drive around town and other low(er) speed manoeuvres compared to others. It's not so bad once you adjust your driving style to suit but I am jumping in other cars regularly so it is hard to settle fully in! I wish a 6-speed box was fitted as standard to ideally represent the best of both worlds.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, MJNewton said:

The long gearing is the main (perhaps only!) thing I don't like about this car. It might be good for fuel consumption figures but it sure doesn't make a comfortable drive around town and other low(er) speed manoeuvres compared to others. It's not so bad once you adjust your driving style to suit but I am jumping in other cars regularly so it is hard to settle fully in! I wish a 6-speed box was fitted as standard to ideally represent the best of both worlds.

Agreed. Once the warranty expires I'll be looking into fitting the Focus' 6-spd transmission. Unfortunately it'll be some years before that happens. 

I haven't actually checked the ratios and so am only assuming they are shorter lower down the range?

• Like 1

Much closer ratios. I plotted them out actually on some online gearing calculator. It shows the top speed in each gear and the RPMS that you'll see in the next gear after shifting at the rev-limit See them here:

5spd.pdf

6spd.pdf

3rd gear in our cars is good for nearly 100mph which is just silly. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, anarchyx34 said:

Agreed. Once the warranty expires I'll be looking into fitting the Focus' 6-spd transmission. Unfortunately it'll be some years before that happens. 

The new Fiesta is supposed to have a 6 speed mated to the 1.0T. Might be easier with that, given it will be some years. 

• Like 1

The clutch has had some issues. Posting on my phone but I recall a couple of posts when I looked for my own ends. My car needed one when I bought it at 5000 miles... Wasn't engaging properly and I had to rev the nuts off it to get it to reverse up even a minor incline. Or to bump into a kerb. Or to even reverse off of my parents' completely flat gravel driveway. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club