Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2013 1.0l Ecoboost engine rust. Problem?

2013Ecoboost

On 9/11/2017 at 7:19 PM, 2013Ecoboost said:

So, I can't get the Ford looked at by an official dealer in london until the 29th! Madness. Confused as what to do here - slightly terrified the pipes could corrode through at any time so loathed to drive the car, but also can't let the battery go flat as i have to get it to the dealer on the 29th. How long can a fiesta be left without being driven before the battery dies? Last big trip was two weeks ago.

Ford customer relations have replied, simply saying the complaint has been passed onto a manager and they will get back to me.

Do you have a battery charger?  Or able to borrow one ?

On 9/12/2017 at 2:41 PM, Blatto said:

Pic from my Fiesta St-Line 140. Covered about 8000 miles so far. I noticed the rust appearing when I opened up the bonnet a few days after I took delivery, called Ford just to check and they said it's normal. However, the  pipes rusting like that is not normal.

st140turbo.jpg

I dont see any rust on the pipes only on the turbo casing - which is normal

• 2 months later...

Here's mine:

spacer.png

I bought the car used around 10 months ago, wasnt aware of the issues - its a 2016 1.0L EcoBoost - and unfortunately it went pop the other night. There was still coolant in the engine and the temp stayed in the normal range so hoping its not buggered the engine!

Currently arranging recovery from the independent garage (who was amazing and advised me to contact Ford rather than asking me to pay the £750 for the Turbo replacement!) to an Evans Halshaw near me for the Ford guys to look at it

I've raised it with Ford CRC already and have a case number so i'm hopeful that once the dealership have seen it, Ford CRC will confirm that they will cover the cost of the repair!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Wow. First time I've seen a shot of one that's actually gone. Hope Ford stump up ok for you!

• Like 1

Fingers crossed that they do, its booked it for Tuesday but being transferred today so they might look at it sooner.

Will keep you updated of any outcomes I get from Ford!

Anyone managed to get them to pay for the repair when the car is out of warranty?

39 minutes ago, NatCall said:

Anyone managed to get them to pay for the repair when the car is out of warranty?

Iirc, the original poster on this thread got a new turbo (the pipes are not replaceable seperately) paid for by Ford. I think his car was 4 years old and the pipes were very badly rusted but had not actually failed at that time.

Edited by Eric Bloodaxe
Spelling (damn predictive text!)

Just now, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Iirc, the original poster on this thread got a new turbo (the pipes are not replaceable seperately) paid for by Ford. I think his car was 4 years old and the pipes were very badly dusted but had not actually failed at that time.

Thats good to know, thank you

33 minutes ago, NatCall said:

Thats good to know, thank you

Lot of factors involved. Has car got full main dealer service history. If not ford can say sorry out of warranty depends on what relationship you have with the dealer and who maintained the car.

1 hour ago, st line x 140 driver said:

Lot of factors involved. Has car got full main dealer service history. If not ford can say sorry out of warranty depends on what relationship you have with the dealer and who maintained the car.

I have the car service book with its full history and its been done by prev owner on schedule as I can see so hopefully that should be fine

Just spoke to the service dept at Evans Halshaw as I now have to add on a £90 diagnostics fee, when I asked her if theres been other issues like this she said "oh but thats only on the Focus" to which I assured her its most certainly not. Not going well so far really

7 minutes ago, NatCall said:

I have the car service book with its full history and its been done by prev owner on schedule as I can see so hopefully that should be fine

Just spoke to the service dept at Evans Halshaw as I now have to add on a £90 diagnostics fee, when I asked her if theres been other issues like this she said "oh but thats only on the Focus" to which I assured her its most certainly not. Not going well so far really

Diagnostics fee tends to be wavered if work is carried out by garage that standard think ford charge more stops people going to get solution for free then going else where to get repair done cheaper. If you have ford service history you got something to barter with as they should of spotted problem - and fit for purpose is good words to use.

Indie garage might not know what to look for even if serviced correctly.

After 4 years no warranty probably no comeback mileage has to do with wear too. 

1 minute ago, NatCall said:

she said "oh but thats only on the Focus" to which I assured her its most certainly not. Not going well so far really

Yes, as you probably know, well known issue/recall on the Focus with the plastic coolant hoses, completely seperate thing.

Good that you have a full history, though. If you read back through the thread, it seems some dealers have been supportive, others less so and owners have needed to push Ford directly themselves. Good luck!

Just now, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Yes, as you probably know, well known issue/recall on the Focus with the plastic coolant hoses, completely seperate thing.

Good that you have a full history, though. If you read back through the thread, it seems some dealers have been supportive, others less so and owners have needed to push Ford directly themselves. Good luck!

Thank you, just rang the dealership where I purchased the car from (as the one its going to isnt the same one but another locally) she said theyve had to do a few and Ford are aware of the issue so it shouldnt be something I'll have to pay for, hopefully CRC will come back with the same conclusion. Only added bonus is mine is definitely broken and in need of repair!

As for the servicing, they carried out a service on 14th Feb this year, about 10 days before I purchased the car, and so they definitely should be spotted something then, if not before. Luckily the previous owner always used their local Ford dealership which should help me out too as Ford should have access to the full service history on their system

Thanks for the help guys!

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, st line x 140 driver said:

Diagnostics fee tends to be wavered if work is carried out by garage that standard think ford charge more stops people going to get solution for free then going else where to get repair done cheaper. If you have ford service history you got something to barter with as they should of spotted problem - and fit for purpose is good words to use.

Indie garage might not know what to look for even if serviced correctly.

After 4 years no warranty probably no comeback mileage has to do with wear too. 

Mileage is only on 30K after 4 years so not sure they can argue that it’s been worn out due to heavy use or anything

12 minutes ago, NatCall said:

Mileage is only on 30K after 4 years so not sure they can argue that it’s been worn out due to heavy use or anything

Average for year would expect 60k/8 years before problems start.👍

Good luck, I think you may have a battle on your hands getting them to pay for the repair in full.

If you were the first owner of the car, maybe just maybe they would be a little more amenable. They are twitchy about things like this especially as the car is approaching 4 yrs old. (Past experience with a Focus and a friend with a 2nd hand Fiesta has taught me this). Although it has full dealer service history, it is also not the current owner that has had the servicing done..

At this stage, I think the best you can hope for is a 50/50. You pay for any replacement parts and they pay the labour cost to get the car back on the road.... 

See what they come up with. If they want to go 50/50 you may need to speak the dealer you purchased the car from and talk to them about warranty period although theirs may only be 3 or 6 months from purchase.

Good luck.

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure that Fords have picked up on this problem.   I've had two 2017 Fiestas one March and the second April.   On bot the pipes were absolutely spotless and bright.   I think they must have made a change to the composition of the metal.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bobr said:

I'm pretty sure that Fords have picked up on this problem.   

I'm hoping so, Bob. Tested my battery yesterday and gave the pipes a good look over at the same time. Still spotless after 33 months parked outside.

Yes, my mk7.5 was fine after just over 2 years of having it. The mk8's have no issues whatsoever...

• Like 1

I wonder if they might have added some chrome to the mix.

Ford dealership have managed to look at my car early as I had it transferred there yesterday (even though it wasn't booked in until Tuesday) and have confirmed that its the coolant pipe for the turbo and the whole lot needs to be replaced (thankfully I think my engine wasn't damaged by the loss of coolant and I caught it in time)

service dept said she's spoken to CRC in regards to my case number and they've asked her for my service history info (thankfully again all prev services from prev owner were Ford approved, as was the one just before I bought it in Feb this year) so I'm now awaiting CRC's decision as to whether they are going to pay for it. 

Its obvious from the later models that whatever this issue is, Ford seem to have recognised it and amended their manufacturing accordingly

12 minutes ago, NatCall said:

Its obvious from the later models that whatever this issue is, Ford seem to have recognised it and amended their manufacturing accordingly

I don't think they did on the MK7.5's. I have a late 2017 MK7.5 model and it has started showing signs of corrosion on the turbo pipes, the same way as other ecoboost 1.0 engines have. 

3 minutes ago, Nick Y said:

I don't think they did on the MK7.5's. I have a late 2017 MK7.5 model and it has started showing signs of corrosion on the turbo pipes, the same way as other ecoboost 1.0 engines have. 

Oh no, maybe its only the MK8's that have been okay, have they redesigned the engine for the MK8's?

The Fiesta MK8 did initially have the old 1.0 ECOboost. This is the exact same engine that is also used in the Fiesta MK7.5. 

Early 2020 the new 1.0 ECOboost engine was introduced in the Fiesta. This is the exact same engine that is used in the Focus MK4 since 2018. The new 1.0 ECOboost has a timing chain (instead of the more expensive wetbelt setup), a reversed cilinder head for quicker warming up from cold and cylinder deactivation.

1 hour ago, Nick Y said:

I have had two early 2017 Mk 7.5s and they both had shiny bright turbo pipes.   I would have thought that a late 2017 would be a Mk 8.

1 minute ago, Bobr said:

I have had two early 2017 Mk 7.5s and they both had shiny bright turbo pipes.   I would have thought that a late 2017 would be a Mk 8.

Should've made it a bit clearer. I have a very late MK7.5 model (registered end of June 2017). It is showing signs of rust on the 2 turbo pipes. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club