Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2013 1.0l Ecoboost engine rust. Problem?

2013Ecoboost

33 minutes ago, Michlaustn said:

Got my car back from the garage today with the work done.

Did a Ford dealer paint that or was it a 7 year old!? 😲

• Like 2

I always expected you'd be able to tell which were done by dealers and which were a DIY job. This was the reason I opted to do mine myself despite getting the £80 voucher from Ford (I spent that on an MOT and some oil filters instead).

Of course what really matters though is that it works functionally rather than how neat it is. 

That looks worse than when I apply filler to my model kits, lol. 

I better go check the pipes on my 2017 ST-Line 140 EB. 
Maybe that's why the dealer tried to contact me last week. 

1 hour ago, MJNewton said:

I always expected you'd be able to tell which were done by dealers and which were a DIY job. This was the reason I opted to do mine myself despite getting the £80 voucher from Ford (I spent that on an MOT and some oil filters instead).

Of course what really matters though is that it works functionally rather than how neat it is. 

How did you get the voucher from Ford?

2 hours ago, driver52 said:

Did a Ford dealer paint that or was it a 7 year old!? 😲

I expect it was the child of a ford engineer aged 7 on being your kid to work day.

It is messy but I'm not really bothered, just glad that it is done before it could progress to become an issue and that it was covered under warranty.

2 hours ago, MJNewton said:

It is out of view so I'm not really bothered. More annoying that it took four weeks for the gloves they needed to come into stock to do it.

1 hour ago, Bobr said:

How did you get the voucher from Ford?

I reported the issue to Ford CRC and they agreed to pay the cost of the TSB work as a goodwill gesture. There's a bit more detail earlier on in the thread. 

4 minutes ago, Michlaustn said:

It is out of view so I'm not really bothered. More annoying that it took four weeks for the gloves they needed to come into stock to do it.

Yeah, it's done now and that's what matters. I'm just a bit fussy about this sort of thing; I'm sure I'd have a more relaxed life if I wasn't! 😉

29 minutes ago, MJNewton said:

Yeah, it's done now and that's what matters. I'm just a bit fussy about this sort of thing; I'm sure I'd have a more relaxed life if I wasn't! 😉

It does look a mess, I would hate to see them with a colouring book. Surprisingly there is none on the paintwork, it seems to be everywhere else.

On 12/12/2018 at 10:32 PM, MJNewton said:

I reported the issue to Ford CRC and they agreed to pay the cost of the TSB work as a goodwill gesture. There's a bit more detail earlier on in the thread. 

Just to note since the BBC publication on the degas recall, Ford CRC refuse to deal with this issue anymore. Mgrcrc do instead and refuse to take any responsibility for this issue out of warranty. Utter disgrace. The most frustrating thing is you can reach regular CRC by phone and explain the situation fully to a person, whereas mgrcrc is some unnamed penny pincher who you can only contact via email and they conveniently ignore half of what you say to fit their own narrative

So unfortunately nobody else will likely get a voucher for this one and anyone out of warranty will now probably have to pay to fix Ford's own design mistake 😞

Disappointing but not an issue in practice given how easy/cheap (and possibly preferable) the DIY fix is, assuming of course you catch it in time. 

6 minutes ago, MJNewton said:

Disappointing but not an issue in practice given how easy/cheap (and possibly preferable) the DIY fix is, assuming of course you catch it in time. 

My main point was it is a known ford design mistake that should have been a recall and Ford should be taking responsibility for it. 

DIY fix will almost certainly solve, but in the unlikely case it fails in future ford could again wash their hands of the problem and then it's a few grand for a new engine. 

Their disregard towards this has made me reconsider buying another Ford simply because an engine killing design mistake isn't something to throw under the carpet. 

• Like 1

Agreed on all points but the availability of a goodwill voucher or not wouldn't change any of that.

For me once I'm out of warranty I've always taken the view that I'm on my own and financially I think I'm better off for it given the amount I save by not having to comply with warranty terms (eg. I can do the all the servicing myself). My only reason for calling Ford up on this was that I knew they'd covered the repairs in Denmark and so figured there was a good chance they might do here. 

19 minutes ago, MJNewton said:

Agreed on all points but the availability of a goodwill voucher or not wouldn't change any of that.

If they acknowledged that this isn't a customer problem (since the problem is they put rust prone pipes in front of the intercooler and stupidly relied on sacrificial rusting of the turbo body to prevent it) and were covering the cost of the fix I would have considered that a full solution to the problem. 

The reality is mgrcrc had no interest in either acknowledgement that this problem isn't the customers fault or contribution to the fix. I'd have accepted either or both, but since they're washing their hands of the whole thing my next car won't be a ford. 

The bizzare thing is the internal cost of the fix to ford will be like £15. To save £15 from the small number of customers that actually get in contact (or larger number if they issued a recall), they've essentially said "***** you all". Makes very little business sense to me. 

/rant 

Has anyone ordered the Ford stuff and done this themselves? Was looking for some instructions no doubt they will be "special" ones.

Edit:  Ford cant even tell me what the correct useage instructions are but i have found a German site that gives a little info on the activator saying that it mixes with two parts primer to 1 part activator. I have since spoken with Ford who confimed the mix  for the job is 4ml of primer to 1ml of activator induction time of 30 mins and a drying time of 20mins.

I have oredered the two parts and am awaiting delivery. By the looks of it there will be plenty left over. if anyone needs to do this repair that is near to me then feel free to hit me up and come and get your pipes sorted for free. silly for it to go to waste.

• Like 1

Done the job this morning myself with the Ford primer and activator. Like i said earlier got tons of it left if anybody needs any.

SAM_0503.JPG

• Like 1

On 12/26/2018 at 12:23 PM, LesPes said:

Done the job this morning myself with the Ford primer and activator. Like i said earlier got tons of it left if anybody needs any.

SAM_0503.JPG

I think you should offer to re-paint @Michlaustn pipes after Ford did his 😁.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Michlaustn said:

Pffft it does not have the rustic charm like mine.

It works Michael, thats what counts.

• Like 1

Has anyones car actually failed from this 'problem' so far? 

1 hour ago, craig26283 said:

Has anyones car actually failed from this 'problem' so far? 

There's plenty that have

Where did you read about them? I don't recall any on here or Louise's FB group.

1 hour ago, MJNewton said:

Where did you read about them? I don't recall any on here or Louise's FB group.

There's been a number of unexplained engine failures on the ecoboom page on engines with the degas fix. I'd suspect this. 

You might be right but it's pure speculation. Personally I wouldn't suspect this being the cause as it'd be straightforward to confirm hence wouldn't remain unexplained.