Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus mk3 stop start not working

Tommo17

Just took my ford focus rs to the garage today to see why the sensors on the door handles wouldn't work.The technician told me the smart charging circuit only chargers the car to 80% and drops out all peripherals at about 72%. Meaning you will loose various car auxiliaries so you can mainly start the engine when the battery goes below a certain voltage. This will happen when the car is left for long periods or not driven regularly. I say just get a high Ampre rated battery which is stronger and lasts longer, this should solve the problem....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Just bought a 2011 ford focus but since I've had the car which is only a few weeks, the start/stop feature hasn't worked. I've seen a couple of things as to why it wouldnt work for example conditions etc but just wondering if there would be other reason??

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the procedure. My stop/start on 2012 focus titanium x turbo not worked for about a year. Works a treat now. Thanks again!

1 hour ago, Carlos77 said:

Thanks for the procedure. My stop/start on 2012 focus titanium x turbo not worked for about a year. Works a treat now. Thanks again!

W

• 2 weeks later...

I only do about 3-4 K miles a year and after five years of doing this in my brand new Ford Focus estate the battery had gone down to 60/70% charge and the start stop didn't work any more, so I went out and bought the AA smart charger that says you can connect it to a battery without disconnecting the battery. The charging went fine but the start/stop still didn't re-activate (I think the electronics didn't recognise the battery state), until I did the - turn ignition on and wait 10 seconds, press rear fog light switch 5 times, press hazard button 3 times, and wait for the red battery sign on the dash lights to flash on and off a couple of times, then turn off ignition. It works now!!

I only wish they would include these processes in the owners manual, some years ago the Ford service personnel forgot to do a reset to get rid of the alarm on my dash that showed I needed an oil change even though I had just had one, this took me sometime to find out how to get rid of it - the pain!! turned out it was only turn ignition on press the brake and accelerator at the same time for 20 seconds it then shows the reset and you then turn the ignition off.

I'm sure there are a few more (I see that if you disconnect the battery that the one shot electric window needs to be reset. Another one to look forward to and finding out how to reset it)

Just took my ford focus rs to the garage today to see why the sensors on the door handles wouldn't work.The technician told me the smart charging circuit only chargers the car to 80% and drops out all peripherals at about 72%. Meaning you will loose various car auxiliaries so you can mainly start the engine when the battery goes below a certain voltage. This will happen when the car is left for long periods or not driven regularly. I say just get a high Ampre rated battery which is stronger and lasts longer, this should solve the problem....

Only charges to 80%, if you dislike stop/start try this easy fix, it will give you a fully charged batter even on short journey`s and get rid of stop/start, test it for a week, if not happy just reconnect. A higher amp battery will still only be charged to 80%.

Hi. Just thought I’d chip in.

I followed this topic and none of the advice worked. I found on an American site a similar thread and they said to remove the fuse numbered F11 (30A) in the under bonnet fuse box and then re-insert it (all with the ignition off).

Happy to report that everything is now working as it should do for the past two weeks now.

Cheers.

Edited by Christo3574
Spelling and grammar

• 1 month later...

Hi all 

Looking for some information I have a st line 2017 ford focus. Only have it a few months the start /stop hasn't worked since I bought it. I have reset the BMS (battery monitoring system) the start/stop started to work. But when I switch off the engine and start it up again the start /stop. Stops working again. Has anyone got any ideas what could be causing this and how to fix it. 

13 hours ago, Jimmers said:

Hi all 

Looking for some information I have a st line 2017 ford focus. Only have it a few months the start /stop hasn't worked since I bought it. I have reset the BMS (battery monitoring system) the start/stop started to work. But when I switch off the engine and start it up again the start /stop. Stops working again. Has anyone got any ideas what could be causing this and how to fix it. 

Get a battery check done, and/or replace the battery with a quality battery like Varta/Yuaso/Bosche. Also considering getting an AGM battery over EFB, as I've been told these handle short distance driving better, system drain and also last longer. Downside they can be slight bigger so might be trickier to install and expensive at about 20-40 more than a EFB type battery.

• 1 year later...

My start stop has stopped working. Ford Focus 2016. Have replaced the battery and completed the battery reset and still nothing. It sporadically starts and will stop the engine but it is always restarting the engine straight away. Mine is an auto so not sure if there is something different I should be doing. 

I will have to try any of the aforementioned fixes on mine!!

• 1 year later...

Hello all

i have the same problem with my focus mk3 model 2 

previously, when i reset with procedure (without waiting 10s, maybe it's my mistake), the start and stop, was working 1 or 2 time only...

Last week, i decided to change my battery, so she's new. I reset one more time with procedure (without waiting 10s before press button)

the outside temperature was very cold, -12/13C°, ok my start and stop did not work, i agree

since yesterday, the temperature are better, now we have 12° and rain. i reset one more time, but any succes, the startd and stop work some time and after no....

i'm disappointed, what do you think i can do ? maybe the procedure was not good, i never wait 10s before press button.

when i perform the reset ? after driving ? before driving in the morning ? with head light ? without headlight ?

thansk for your feedback 

43 minutes ago, Andyr55 said:

Nothing…some people don’t like the stop/start system.

Indeed. And I think the query refers more to the BMS reset procedure after a battery change rather than the stop/start itself.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 9/20/2017 at 10:58 PM, Phil21185 said:

I know mine is reluctant to enter s/s if I have the air con on...

11.4v is a flat battery mate so sounds like your monitoring system is out of whack.

There is a procedure for resetting it involving pushing of buttons which might help. @iantt has posted about it before but I'll be buggered if I can find it...

Edit:

Here is what Ian put in another thread so Kudos to him if it solves your problem:

Ron, if you want to have a go at reseting battery monitoring, just do as follows

Ign on for 10 secs, press rear foglighr switch 5 times, press hazzard switch 3 times, wait 10 secs. Battery light flashes. Ign off

use car, and see if thst fixes

Full thread here so you can go and thank him! Lol!

Hi,
I have a Ford focus 2014 1.6 tdci, start stop doesn’t seem to work like before, I think my battery is showing 11.6 in test mode with car off, would you recommend using a multimeter to test it and doing a battery reset after?

Thanks

11 minutes ago, Tommi97 said:

start stop doesn’t seem to work like before

Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs !!! 🤔

I'm shocked that it might not be working 🤣

Ford - Battery SOC.JPG

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tommi97 said:

Hi,
I have a Ford focus 2014 1.6 tdci, start stop doesn’t seem to work like before, I think my battery is showing 11.6 in test mode with car off, would you recommend using a multimeter to test it and doing a battery reset after?

Thanks

Apologises, I used a multimeter and it’s showing near enough 12

You'll have to forgive @unofix:laugh: This subject comes up with monotonous regularity.

Has your car ever had the battery replaced? If not it's near the end of life and stop/start is very unlikely to work. In my experience it'll even stop working reliably within 2 or 3 years of fitting a new battery because it's so dependent on battery capacity and state of charge (capacity measured in ampere-hours slowly declines with age and charge-discharge cycles).

From what's been said by others on here resetting the BMS resets the battery age so shouldn't be done with other than a new battery, fully charged. I don't know for sure that's true, I'm just repeating what's been said elsewhere.

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club