Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus 2010 1.6 (100PS) Timing Belt

Micro

If they have a Dynomec kit they will have that locking nut off in 2 minutes.

3 hours ago, stef123 said:

If they have a Dynomec kit they will have that locking nut off in 2 minutes.

Hope so, I want to get this done now! :tongue:

• Like 1

damaged locking nuts / bolt keys have the potential to ruin your day in epic fashion as this thread and a thousand others highlight

so when i bought my focus and noticed the original locking nuts were looking rusty and tatty i binned the lot and replaced with just standard bolts

in fact the stupid chrome cap bolts were also binned and solid body nuts were fitted all round

maybe not advisable if you live in the Bronx , Moss Side or Toxteth , but its worth the risk ( to me ) rather than have problems getting the wheel off following a puncture on the motorway in the rain lol

Tbh it's easier to nick a whole car now than just the wheels anyway...  Can you imagine these guys with the keyless relay machines jacking up a car to remove wheels? :laugh: 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, biff55 said:

damaged locking nuts / bolt keys have the potential to ruin your day in epic fashion as this thread and a thousand others highlight

so when i bought my focus and noticed the original locking nuts were looking rusty and tatty i binned the lot and replaced with just standard bolts

in fact the stupid chrome cap bolts were also binned and solid body nuts were fitted all round

maybe not advisable if you live in the Bronx , Moss Side or Toxteth , but its worth the risk ( to me ) rather than have problems getting the wheel off following a puncture on the motorway in the rain lol

That's something I've been wanting to do. I've got the Titanium spec 20 spoke alloys; do they need anything special? When I put my details in traders' compatibility charts it comes back as not compatible! 

55 minutes ago, trailertrash said:

That's something I've been wanting to do. I've got the Titanium spec 20 spoke alloys; do they need anything special? When I put my details in traders' compatibility charts it comes back as not compatible! 

if your alloys are genuine OE ford wheels , then you need the wide taper nuts , which look like this.......

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.5c140a05433e835c491af378a3cfec7f.jpg

get rid of the crappy ford nuts and fit plastic caps onto your new bolt set and it will then look like this.....

IMG-20160906-00006.thumb.jpg.bc1755376d668a5f64bcc8eac3a630bd.jpg

much neater without ugly locking bolts sticking out of each wheel.

p.s.   sorry to the OP for the thread highjack  :-)

• Like 2

So, got to the point of undoing the crank bolt, bit stubborn but came off.

Now faced with a stuck crank pulley... any advice? My pullers (inherited) apparently has no threads suitable of pulling it off as the bolt just slips...

I have never come across a stuck crank pulley yet and I've done a lot of them. try giving it a few gentle taps in a circular pattern on the face of it - might just be enough to free it off.

7 hours ago, stef123 said:

I have never come across a stuck crank pulley yet and I've done a lot of them. try giving it a few gentle taps in a circular pattern on the face of it - might just be enough to free it off.

Yep, stuck on with what I can only describe as "mud" (the pulley that has the aux/AC belt on). I tried tapping the face - then as the engine was locked used my pulley holding tool inappropriately and tried to get the pulley to turn round with a hammer. Got a small bit of soft wood wedged as a lever between engine and pulley and with the rotating motion the pulley started coming off. The pulley bolt required my impact gun to remove.

The result? Car starts, runs and drives apparently without flaw. :w00t:

My god don't you need to put some effort into getting that final 90 degrees and then 15 degrees on the M14 crank bolt. Had to raise the car a bit more to give the breaker bar some more room. The stretch belts are a pain in the rear and I would like to find who designed them!

The initial start seemed a bit off - took a little longer to crank, and then was hunting idle like crazy for a couple of seconds so I shut it off. After I got my thoughts straight, remembering i've wiped the learned values, and having some more confidence in myself, I started her up again - this time I let her run - she ran fine and warmed up. Took her on a drive around the block, using various gears (including 4th inappropriately at 15-20mph...) to put some stress on the engine, and was appears to be running fine.

• Like 2

Am I allowed to say I tighten the crank bolt with my impact gun lol. I just mark the starting position and angle and give it some dugga duggas until it's round far enough. 

• Haha 1

Am I allowed to say I tighten the crank bolt with my impact gun lol. I just mark the starting position and angle and give it some dugga duggas until it's round far enough. 

animal, but expected.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club