Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Squeak Fixed! Is It Safe?

MarkyR

Thought I would start a new topic to get some answers. Basically I had a tremendous squeaking coming from the back of my car. I removed the parcel shelf, boot carpet and wood plank, and the foam holder with the puncture repair kit rom the boot and I folded the back seats down. Went for a drive and I discovered the squeaking was the boot lid. It's caused by the 2 rubber bungs that are in the bottom corners of the boot lid.

If I twist them I can remove them, put them in the grooves and twist round till they click holds them in but they wobble and cause the squeak because the plastic rims aren't fully held in the cut outs of the hole in the metal. So I have only slightly turned them and tis way they are held much more firmly and I have no squeak but is this ok? Should I do this or will they get damaged in anyway?

I'll take some pics to help explain when I get a chance, I don't want to risk opening the boot and one of the bungs fall off and I loose it!

Right, I've got some photos to help explain:

This is the rubber bung I m referring to, if you notice the black ridge on it pointing out an an angle. Like this the boot does not squeak as the rubber bung is held tightly but I think the way it is supposed to be is with the ridge pointing towards the side of the boot lid:

IMG_0232.jpg

This picture shoes the rubber bung lips, you'll see 2 long ones and 2 short ones:

IMG_0228.jpg

And here is a picture of the hole and the cut outs for those lips:

IMG_0226.jpg

And the two side by side:

IMG_0227.jpg

So hopefully you will see now that with the rubber bung turned into the original position that the 2 short lips are not securely held and thus the rubber bung wobbles and my hatchback squeaks. I want to know if it's ok to leave them turned the way they are or not?

Bump. Anyone??? Just want to know if these bungs should be seated as I said above or at an angle so they don't squeak as much?

I'll check for you tomorrow mate :)

Thanks mate.

Mine are not at an angle really

I looked for the little ridges on the Drive side plug. The ridges where at the 1 and 7 o'clock position and the reverse on the passenger side.

Both were tight and the base was pretty much flush with where it joined onto the boot lid.

How this helps bud :)

Mine are not at an angle really

I looked for the little ridges on the Drive side plug. The ridges where at the 1 and 7 o'clock position and the reverse on the passenger side.

Both were tight and the base was pretty much flush with where it joined onto the boot lid.

How this helps bud :)

Thanks mate I really appreciate that. Hmm, I think that's how they were. I'll have a look again. I'm glad I found the cause and it's simple though!

Mate i think you just solved my squeaky rear! i was sure it was the parcel shelf, but removing that didn't help, I did everything you listed but remove these bungs. Made the left hand side one tighter and no more squeaks. Thank you! Not sure if this will be of detriment to the bungs, but one was very loose and twisting it slightly has made it much firmer.

img0548tk.jpg

img0550ps.jpg

Mate i think you just solved my squeaky rear! i was sure it was the parcel shelf, but removing that didn't help, I did everything you listed but remove these bungs. Made the left hand side one tighter and no more squeaks. Thank you! Not sure if this will be of detriment to the bungs, but one was very loose and twisting it slightly has made it much firmer.

No problem lol. I just checked and mine are now at 1 and 7 and the opposite on the passenger side as said.

Thank you for this post!!!

I had a horrible squeak/rattle noise at the boot, tapped every panel there still couldnt find it.

Just twisted the bungs so their tighter and noise gone!!!!!!! Wahoooo!! :D :D :D

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club