Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fuel Consumption Again

nashy

My 1.0 Fiesta 125 hasn't budged from ~34.5 mpg since new (only done ~1200 so far though, all short/cold trips).

latest update:

- 396 miles on tank (619 miles), 42.13mpg, car says 39.8mpg (long run Lincoln to Bristol & back) [air con used]

- 323 miles on tank (942 miles), 34.87mpg, car says 33.9mpg (mostly town) [no air con used]

- 395 miles on tank (1337miles), 41.86mpg, car says 40.5mpg (includes Lincoln to Nottingham to York and back) [no air con used]

Still not great results i'm afraid.

Yeh not great am considering using Shell v power on the next fill to see if it makes any difference. Hopefully by time engine has settled in and weather warms I'll be seeing 45-50 on motorway runs

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

Thanks thompma30 - shame you're not reporting a magic rise as the engine beds in.

Gezs1310 - Would you mind posting back after vPower? I was about to try it on the last fill but didn't bother in the end. Might be best to run the tank quite low and do a big vPower fill-up as I read the knock sensor can take a while to adjust.

vpower helps, I consistently get 43-45 MPG with it compared to 39-40 without. Much more on motorways :)

Filled up with vpower £59 worth (full tank) this afternoon reset trip & not guna change my driving style. Will post update 7-10 days. Previous was 33.7 mpg off full tank of BP regular unleaded. Found this attachment so I'm guessing I'm a bit premature with my mpg tests anyway, hopefully there will be a difference :)

post-63787-142677996123_thumb.jpg

It's good to hear people can get 58mpg. I'm changing my diesel clio for either Zetec S or Red edition and quite liked getting a 700 mile range on a tank of diesel (I do around 350 miles a week). Now the M3 has a 50mph limit the 1 litre should be pretty economical.

Just get an ST, don't bother with a Red...definitely don't bother with a red.

I got a record of 435 miles on a tank on my ST averaging 44.1MPG, they are just as good on fuel as any of the others and don't lose as much money whilst being more fun and more frugal with a better spec and appearance. you know it makes sense, even Spock RIP would concur.

and it still had 17 miles to go on the tank and only took in 46 on a 48L tank, can do much more than any of the other petrols.

I didn't get my Red for any fuel economy benefits and I agree that if that is the only sticking point then just go and get an ST! However there are lots of other boring reasons to go Red/Black/ZS instead of the ST (Tax, cost of lease, if you have back pain etc!)

Unfortunately GuitarMatt I'd say I was a pretty regular driver with a mix of stuff and I get 41mpg. There are people sat at 33 and others in isolated 57mph motorway stuff getting into the 50s. It's not overly impressive so real-world economy I would say is most certainly not a reason to buy any Fiesta - they're not bad, just not market leading.

Wondering if anyone has the new focus 1.5 150psi petrol ecoboost engine. I'm still running this in at 450 miles and the consumption is woeful at the min 32-33mpg. Know I'll prob never get near official figures (EU 61.4 C 51.4 U 40.4) but most of my 450miles to date has been a gentle cruise up an A road at 50-60 mph which can only be described as EXTRA URBAN (61.4mpg). Please could someone tell me if these figures will greatly improve as engine wears in?

I have the new Focus 1.5 Ecoboost 150PS.

I'm seeing about the same but I mainly do urban driving other than when I take it out for a drive round the country roads (and I probably drive even less economically there, lol.)

On about 1200 miles so far, so still not really run in.

BTW, Extra Urban is really 6th Gear, 50-60mph on a Motorway. A roads will normally use more fuel as they are not as flat and straight.

• Like 1

whats the difference in cost? 2k over the cost of the lease is nothing? whats the residual value of the red after 3 years? less than the ST making the lease cost nothing. they are till going for £179PM on private deals for an ST3, if £100 PA on tax is a deal breaker than tbh you shouldn't be buying a new car, come the time of service and buying parts you'll be broke, these Fiesta parts are near BMW prices. for the record on back pain, although various symptoms etc,went I went from Zetec to ST my back was a hell of lot more supported than it was in pov spec Fiestas.

It just makes sense to buy the ST, either go Poverty spec because it's cheap all round, Titanium X if you want quite a decent refined little car or ST if you want best of everything bar bumps at slow speeds ( the ST is very comfy at speed ) for the sake a few pence per month it makes sense to get the most enjoyable and the one that is worth the most after your term / buying and it comes to sale time.

my MPG was achieved driving like a maniac at all times, I never cared for the car and didn't do an oil change in near 20k miles, couldn't be bothered and it made no difference to it. only thing it ever got was tyres and track rods.

Noooooooo, just checked out prices for a 6k miles 2014 ST, and it's only a few hundred more than a new Red (£14.5K). I can resist though. Oh yes.

Drivethedeal can get you a brand new st for 14.5k

I am getting 41mpg in my red - 20 mile round trip to work and short journeys

@MattDRX - The right choice for you is not the right one for everyone thoug. ZS/RE/BE fit a nice niche. 2k is a considerable whack for some people and over 50% more than a RE/BE in terms of leasing costs. They just do not work like purchase costs.

Agree that if purchasing rather than leasing then the whole Fiesta range is designed so you go in thinking - okay tin can - oooh 1.0T - like - Hmm, 140bhp though and some extras but barely any more.... however, YES - ST. Why not it's only a shade more!

If I was buying I'd be pointing my money at an ST and at a broker - it wouldn't go anywhere near the main dealers who in my experience were clueless. SuperAl mentioned DriveTheDeal who have the RE at 12.9k and the ST at 14.5k btw if it helps anyone. 0 miles on that @GuitarMatt :)

@SuperAl - Getting back to thread topic - How many miles did you stick on so far? Mine's identical - model, mpg etc.

I have done just over 1900 miles

A years worth of driving my ZS.. knocking around I just manage 40mpg. This isn't driving like a granny. This is pretty spirited driving. Haha.

The thing I have noticed is that booting it UP TO the speed limit actually seems more efficient (I know it probably isn't - but it seems that way). Accelerating gently, especially when going up hill just makes the turbo spool longer and the MPG is shocking.

So getting up to speed and letting your foot off the pedal as much as you can seems to be the way to go for these cars.

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

I agree. I've found the same thing, driving like you supposedly should do (slow acceleration) kills the MPG but accelerating hard to speed and then cruise controlling / maintaining is really efficient.

I guess if you use the Turbo for 4 seconds, get to a level where it no longer uses a turbo (30/40 roads?) Then it is more efficient than slow acceleration?

I agree. I've found the same thing, driving like you supposedly should do (slow acceleration) kills the MPG but accelerating hard to speed and then cruise controlling / maintaining is really efficient.

I guess if you use the Turbo for 4 seconds, get to a level where it no longer uses a turbo (30/40 roads?) Then it is more efficient than slow acceleration?

Yeah genuinely, the way to get good economy is to accelerate fast. I get almost 45MPG and accelerate as fast as I can normally.

Yeah genuinely, the way to get good economy is to accelerate fast. I get almost 45MPG and accelerate as fast as I can normally.

I've thought about this before, but I was thinking that harsh acceleration should not reduce fuel economy if you are just going to stick to the speed limit anyway. I never thought accelerating harder could improve economy though.

Maybe someone can explain the mechanics of this e.g. if you were to drive a mile along a flat road from a standing start, would you use more fuel if you floor it up to say 70 then stay at that speed, compared to accelerating gently but still holding 70 when you reach that speed?

If you imagine two identical cars doing this at the same time, obviously the car accelerating harder would cover the mile quicker, and it would use fuel more quickly while accelerating. But if both cars stop at the end of the mile, which would have used more fuel, or would there be no difference? Maybe it depends on the type of engine, whether it has a turbo or not etc. It would be a good experiment anyway, maybe it's been done before?

I've found accelerating at any intensity lowers the current MPG down to around 10-25mpg.

When you level off, it'll increase. It entirely depends on how long you're going to be at that end speed for. In lots of traffic, it is obviously not going to be very economical, but if it is a clear road, accelerating fast and maintaining is going to be better. There will be a point of distance where either one will be more fuel efficient.

Source: http://www.utwente.nl/ctw/aida/research/publications/voort_dougherty_maarseveen.pdf

post-44171-0-28519300-1427108885_thumb.p

Edit:

My take on it..

If you're driving a longer journey with no traffic. It'll be beneficial to get up to speed as quickly as possible:

5s high acceleration = 15mpg
295s cruise control @ 30mph = 55mpg
5*15 = 75
295*55 = 16225
Tl: 16300
30 seconds slow acceleration = 25mpg
270 seconds cruise control @ 30mph = 55mpg
30*25 = 750
270*55 = 9350
Tl: 10100
If you're driving a shorter distance, it'll be less beneficial to accelerate quickly:
5s high accleration = 15mpg
10s cruise control @ 30mph = 55mpg
5*15 = 75
10*55 = 550
Tl:625
10s slow acceleration = 25mpg
5s cruise control @ 30mph = 55mpg
10*25=250
5*55 = 275
Tl:525
The calculations are nonsense and don't relate to anything, it is just showing that one is a higher number than the other.
My maths might be completely wrong and pointless here...
Edited by Yokomoko
  • Like 1

I do an 80 mile daily commute in my red. Half mway and half country a roads. Been trying to get my mpg as high as possible. 70mph on mway using cruise and on the a roads using the momentum to keep the speed constant. Lifting off on downhill sections and not braking too much for corners, using the great handling round them to maintain speed through them. Worst i have managed over a week is 50mpg. Best so far was on my run to and from work today, 54mpg. Engine only has 1600miles on it so should get better than that as it loosens up. Weekends are for fun so don't drive like that sat and sun.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club