Do Not Sell My Personal Information

THE Fiesta Detailing Thread

greenymk7

The incorrect use or the use of aggresive clay could introduce some serious marring (marks) to the paint, be carefull and use a fine clay

It's hard to get it wrong with clay imo - keep your clay and surface lubricated and you're set. I'd sooner use that, than Fairy - which is very strong.

It's hard to get it wrong with clay imo - keep your clay and surface lubricated and you're set. I'd sooner use that, than Fairy - which is very strong.

I actually disagree, i have seen many a car done with aggresive clay by inexperienced users and they have caused very heavy marring to the car that required machine polishing to correct, but what do i know LOL

I actually disagree, i have seen many a car done with aggresive clay by inexperienced users and they have caused very heavy marring to the car that required machine polishing to correct, but what do i know LOL

Anecdotal evidence works for me :) But my experience is otherwise very good. I don't deny that people !Removed! it up (the same goes for machine/DA polishing which I also find very easy), but if you don't do the research, you'll burn your fingers.

For example, changing discs and pads on a car - I bet loads of people here could do it and would tell me it's easy. But would I try it without reading/asking the right questions, looking at guides and videos first? Not on your life.

Would I machine polish or clay a car, without understanding the principles first? No.

This thread alone contains a wealth of knowledge, inclusive of clay bar techniques, tar removal, polishing and cleaning, and the best ways to complete these activities. If you are inexperienced in using clay and damage your paintwork, more homework was required and let it be a lesson learned to try harder in future.

But this is my opinion only - what do I know? :lol:

Clay removes wax and is far safer than Fairy ... !

The question stated it was for a detail this weekend, not everyone can/will have clay to hand. I don't see the harm in using fairy as a one off, its certainly not going to ruin his paint/finish .... everyone has there own ways though :lol:

The question stated it was for a detail this weekend, not everyone can/will have clay to hand. I don't see the harm in using fairy as a one off, its certainly not going to ruin his paint/finish .... everyone has there own ways though :lol:

Yeah, I know what you're saying :) It's just that there are better ways. Granted, stock to hand is a factor (of course!), but there are shampoos that will take wax off as well intentionally. Not sure I would expect your local Halfords to stock them though.

That said, I tend to only plan a detail when I know I can do it properly and prepare with the right gear. It's almost not worth bothering with if you don't do a task properly in my own personal opinion (the threads I've seen elsewhere, involving polishing on top of un-clayed and gritty paintwork for example - pointless and a waste of time!).

Fairy/washing-up liquid can contain salts (sodium), which speed up the oxidation of paintwork, which is never good, as paintwork can become brittle and will potentially chip easier. As for surfactants, generally not good for the car at all :) Sure, a one-off application isn't going to accelerate this process overnight, but I wouldn't feel comfortable doing it even once.

I'm staying out of the wax stripping debate - I agree with everyone, different methods, but all effective :lol:

However - soft wax waxes are for me best applied by hand, the heat in your hands helps soften the wax further and PH is a joy to apply this way. Blue Velvet on first by applicator if you want to use both at the same time - 4 hours cure is better than nothing. Top it with PH.

Thanks for the replies. I do have clay-sonus green, will that do the job?

Also, how many coats of wax of both blue velvet and purple haze do you recommend, is one for each ok, topped up with red mist every other week? Or should I apply two of each? Sorry if they're stupid questions. Appreciate the advice guys.

The more the better really. If it were me, it would be one of BV and two of PH.

Actually, I will get involved in the stripping wax debate - stripping wax with clay seems to me to be a hugely laborious task. My recipe for stripping back is a strong APC solution (around 4:1 usually) in the foam lance. Does the job beautifully.

Thanks for the replies. I do have clay-sonus green, will that do the job?

Also, how many coats of wax of both blue velvet and purple haze do you recommend, is one for each ok, topped up with red mist every other week? Or should I apply two of each? Sorry if they're stupid questions. Appreciate the advice guys.

sonus green is nice and mild and shouldn't cause marring as long as your carefull, also don't worry about stripping wax off a good wash then paint cleaner of some type will be fine, ps clay really should not be used to strip wax, it's just now what it's for

Hmm, don't have a pressure washer or foam lance :unsure:.

So, If I were to strip the wax, I would need to either clay or wash with a strong shampoo (born to be mild won't be effective would it?) and then lime prime (or lime prime lite)?

Seems like I might need to get a pressure washer and a foam lance otherwise.

If you don't want to go out and get lots of new kit - then 182's suggestion is a good one, use a paint cleanser or cleaner wax. If you already have Dodo Lime Prime - then that'll do, however I do recommend the Serious Performance paint cleanser - top stuff.

I prefer to get the car back to bare bones early in the wash process - hence using the lance with APC. As has been said, I wouldn't strip wax with clay, I don't class it as a bonded contaminent.

Hmm, don't have a pressure washer or foam lance :unsure:.

So, If I were to strip the wax, I would need to either clay or wash with a strong shampoo (born to be mild won't be effective would it?) and then lime prime (or lime prime lite)?

Seems like I might need to get a pressure washer and a foam lance otherwise.

I have not read all the thread as I'm on iPhone so forgive me, but if I was you I would wash the car using your normal car wash, I would then clay the car , claying will prepare the surface for the wax/ glaze etc, it also leaves the paint feeling beautifully smooth :-), after this use the lime prime, then apply the wax as you wish , the car will look amazing I'm sure

Dont get me wrong, my wash, cleanse wax regime is quite heavy duty and I probably do far more than is ever needed or noticed, hence I try and help people by giving them an easy/ cheaper route to a good finish If that's what I feel they are wanting , I have been around detaling for many years and must have 6 polishing machines LOL (Including Flex, Metabo, Udm, Festool, even the old Porter cable)

If you don't want to go out and get lots of new kit - then 182's suggestion is a good one, use a paint cleanser or cleaner wax. If you already have Dodo Lime Prime - then that'll do, however I do recommend the Serious Performance paint cleanser - top stuff.

I prefer to get the car back to bare bones early in the wash process - hence using the lance with APC. As has been said, I wouldn't strip wax with clay, I don't class it as a bonded contaminent.

Alternatively- would it be effective if I used the APC with a pressure sprayer instead of pressure washer?

If not I think I'll just wash the car and use lime prime lite/ SP cleanser as 182 suggested. I just wanted to get the info straight so when it comes to removing it, I'm not stuck. Thanks!

Alternatively- would it be effective if I used the APC with a pressure sprayer instead of pressure washer?

If not I think I'll just wash the car and use lime prime lite/ SP cleanser as 182 suggested. I just wanted to get the info straight so when it comes to removing it, I'm not stuck. Thanks!

Put some APC in your wash bucket :D

Ooh, can I do that? What dilution do you recommend? Shall I add with the shampoo or APC by itself? Thanks.

Ooh, can I do that? What dilution do you recommend? Shall I add with the shampoo or APC by itself? Thanks.

20:1 should be effective, i would also add in shampoo.

Did not realise you mentioned pressure sprayer though,i would go for this. Think i went about 20:1 also with this spraying on and then rinsing off followed up by a wash,clay, paint cleaner :)

The more the better really. If it were me, it would be one of BV and two of PH.

Actually, I will get involved in the stripping wax debate - stripping wax with clay seems to me to be a hugely laborious task. My recipe for stripping back is a strong APC solution (around 4:1 usually) in the foam lance. Does the job beautifully.

Yep clay is a long method. I mentioned too that certain shampoos are more efficient at the task. But for me, if I am stripping wax, then the likelihood is that I'm going to polish too, so clay will strip and also remove fallout and tar, which APC is not exactly ideal for (fallout removal that is). Polishing on top of only stripped paintwork wouldn't be particularly ideal for my needs. But everyone indeed has their own preferred ways of getting the job done and we will never all agree on everything (thank the gods else it'd be a dull world!).

Dont get to hung up on stripping the wax, i doubt theres much on it anyway, the lime prime will sort it, enjoy the process

Dont get to hung up on stripping the wax, i doubt theres much on it anyway, the lime prime will sort it, enjoy the process

Lol don't worry I won't! I just seem to collect a lot of motorway fallout on my car as I'm up and down the country every weekend. It's only a problem on the leading edges of the car but is surprising how bad it can get elsewhere too.

OH HERRO!

Here's one for you. Is all my cleaning stuff suitable for a fibre glass car??

We think it's coloured fibre glass and not painted. Any help?!

Nooo, my mate's got a kit car :)

Ive got one for you guys too, I bought some AG Aqua Wax(among a few other bits n bats for cleaning) today- will it work fine putting it on a dry car that was cleaned yesterday(I know its not going to be 100% perfect but will help a bit?)

I bought some Bilbery for the wheels(but forgot about the chem resistant bottles- can someone point me the right way? Oh also It says on I4D to wash off with a pressure washer- would it be ok just to hose it down?

I bought 2 Sonus Drying Towel's as well. Got big tub of AG Shampoo and got some AG tar remover as well.

So, My Cleaning list is as follows now(Also In the order I would use them? correct me if im wrong)

1 2010 Frozen White(unless it rains) Fiesta Zetec S Ti-VCT

2 buckets(no guards though)

A hose (no pressure washer but not too bad)

AG Tar Remover

AG Shampoo/Conditioner

AG Super resin polish

AG Aqua wax

AG HD wax

AG Glass polish/cleaner( Dont remember proper name- not fast glass though)

Megs Washmitt

Megs micro fiber

I have various other Microfibers that came with AG stuff

2 drying towels

Bilbery wheel cleaner

few sponges(dont use em, could be used for wheels?)

Crikey - Thats rather alot and im nothing of a detailer =|

Thanks

Jay

Ive got one for you guys too, I bought some AG Aqua Wax(among a few other bits n bats for cleaning) today- will it work fine putting it on a dry car that was cleaned yesterday(I know its not going to be 100% perfect but will help a bit?)

I bought some Bilbery for the wheels(but forgot about the chem resistant bottles- can someone point me the right way? Oh also It says on I4D to wash off with a pressure washer- would it be ok just to hose it down?

Thanks

Jay

If I were you, I would give it a quick 2BM wash before you put on the AG aqua wax, just to get rid of any dust or other bits and bobs.

For the bilberry,

Bottle

Chemical resistant sprayer

I used to hose it down fine for about 2 or 3 months, with no obvious ill effects, before my dad got a pressure washer. I just made sure I rinsed it very thoroughly.

I hope that helps :) You'll find you accumulate a worringly large amount of stuff without really realising it :D

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club